Former Crew in A-league

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kryptonite, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Photo courtesy Allison Andrews at www.a-league.com

Seattle's Andrew Gregor knocks a Brian Ching cross past Vancouver goalkeeper Alex Marques for the first goal in Seattle's 4-1 win over Vancouver, a match that was the opening event for Seattle's new Seahawks Stadium. The crowd of over 25,000 set a new record for attendance at an A-League match.

----------------

McKinely "Anywhere but here" Tennyson named to team of the week for 3rd week in a row:
    http://www.a-league.com/news/2002/news,2002,0502.shtml

----------------

Matt Napoleon called up to Colorado
    http://www.pgepark.com/timbers/pressRoom.shtml

2. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    gee, and i was wondering why i dont give a shit all along...

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A sad, sad day when the BigSoccer archives went the way of the albatross.

The McKinley Tennyson thread, complete with Norwegian cuties and Swedish B Girls, gone forever. No more parties at Hef's place, no more ex-Playmates serving German beer and no more Nick Theslof.

Gone. All gone.

So forgive me if I haven't had the heart to detail Key's exploits as a Timber. I just don't have it in me.

Sniff.

[​IMG]

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Who is McKinnley Tennyson? Could someone give me some history on this guy? Bill, you seem to know a little about him...do you mind given it a try?

5. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    haha

I have to admit, that bio picture is kinda cool. Makes me wish the Rapids were keeping their green kit, too.

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they're really a farm team for Celtic.

As one of the world's leading experts on the "Hoosier Daddy", I wish I could steer you to the "Mysterious Tale of McKinley Tennyson"

Since I can't, suffice it to say that the Crew took a flyer on him in the fourth round of the 2001 Superdraft because he intended to play overseas. Otherwise, he was considered a first round pick.

"Lord" Tennyson is a striker out of Indianapolis who was an All American at UCLA and spent some time with the National U 20's.

After trials in Norway and Germany (St Pauli) and a stint in the PDL he latched on to a bad Swedish First Div team, GIF Sundsvall, who were in a down to the wire relegation battle.

Key played a little, but didn't make much of an impression and he was dropped at the end of the season.

Fortunately for the Crew, Sigi Schmid swapped a second round draft choice for him just before the Sweden stint, so when he came back he was LA's problem. He did some good stuff in preseason supposedly but was dropped and caught on with Portland of the A League.

He's very, very fast, strong and has an absolute cannon for a right leg. He cannot, however, play with his back to the goal, hold the ball, deliver a decent pass or even pretend to play defense.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness I should point out that Big Mac was NEVER a member of the Crew. He was a draft choice who, as far as I can tell, never set foot in Columbus.

His teammate, Matt Napoleon, has indeed been loaned to Colorado, temporarily.

[​IMG]

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish thecrew.com had bio pictures like that, but when they don't even have game pics on a regular basis...

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was her name? Svetlana??

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps instead of "Mysterious Tale of McKinley Tennyson" we can start a new one. "The Mysterious Tale of Jamar Beasley".

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I HAVE been wondering about Jeff Matteo.

Not a peep since he told everybody he was going to play in Italy and promptly vanished off the face of the Earth.

In fact, the only lead was Monza in Italy C-2. I got a couple emails back from supporters who swore tehy'd never heard of the guy.

[​IMG]

12. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Bill,

During the Open Cup match tonight, Burgess did mention on the air that Matteo DID work out with the Crew today during practice.

Apparently Jim Smith knew where he was all along and was keeping tabs with Matteo ;)