Former Barca Players - [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Kobranzilla, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    06-07 was definitely not a bad year for Ronnie, 07-08 was.

I dunno, I'm still bitter about last year. but YoungR10 brings up a point I brought up a lot over the last two years, that Ronaldinho was getting hacked every time he touched the ball. He was smiling less and complaining more. So I honestly felt bad for him, and wondered if the hackery in La Liga and the questionable effectiveness of the physio staff at FCB had prematurely ended one of the greatest periods of footballing joy the world has ever seen.

But now... knowing about the partying and the lack of discipline on his part... I don't know that I'll be happy seeing him getting it together now, knowing he let himself go last year. That's the only way I know how to put it.

2. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    Dinho is the past... a place I don't like to go back to. He's with Milan now; if he returns to top form, he'll be more of a hypocrite than I thought he was, if he doesn't, he'll be as stupid as I thought he had become. One way or another, he will never shine in my eyes again.
    In my heart I gave him every possible chance to overcome his decline. I was blind. "It was the media's fault, it was the overexposure, he was burnt-out from continual playing over that last years, blah, blah, blah..." When I was there and he didn't show up for training, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, tired muscles, strep throat, the sniffles, etc... He was the main topic of questions at the press conferences (where he was never present). The players felt awkward and ticked off having to answer the predatory media hounds. All the negativity surrounding Ronnie overshadowed the rest of the team and the world became fixated on him and his possible move (the circus lasted two long and agonizing years!!). He played the second to last match while I was there and then disappeared off the face of the earth.

Did he exploit Barça and plan/manipulate his eventual exit? Why did he reject ManCity and go to Milan instead? Was it coincidental that for the last couple of years Milan's persistence was continually in the "news" (they were just as bad as Madrid with their antics/harrassment to get C. Ronaldo)? So in the end, whether it's true or not, it sure looks like it was an intricately planned plot by both parties - mind games that they, the "Dinho Bros" and "ACminusDC" won, "unfairly and square". And if it's not so, they sure made it look like it was. Rot starts to stink... then the smell goes away and you don't think about it anymore.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said, Josie.

I know HFP said we shouldn't compare players, but think back to an injured Eto'o vs an injured Ronnie... Eto'o in his nice suit, in the stands or in a box, cheering when Barça scored... can you even recall seeing Ronnie during a game when he was injured?

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not one that would result in them being red carded and consequently not being able to play in the game that would cost their team the championship (not that Ronaldinho could have known that at the time).

5. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    In that video, you can see at 2.07/8 that the guy steps on Ronnie when he's already kicked him three times to put him on the ground. That's when Ronnie kicks him in the balls. Fair dues, I say.

AS much as he pissed me off for a year or two, I'll still always like him and I won't be bitter. I'm perfectly happy to enjoy his football.

6. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    the most frustrating thing about dinho's fall from grace is the thought of what might have been.

if the team had been able to maintain what they had accomplished in 05/06 there's no question that we'd be talking about one of the best (maybe even the best) teams in footballing history.

what made that team so special was precisely the freedom that FR gave them. FR had complete faith and loyalty to his lads and allowed them to basically coach themselves. they were given the freedom to express themselves on the field and it was their self-discipline and team unity that got them believing in each other and fighting for each other.

but that self discipline faded as, inevitably, some individuals were singled out for praise and were caught in the trap of admiring their own reflection (like dinho and deco) and other players who were unsung but just as important began to resent the attention others were getting (like giuly and eto'o). once this started happening, the team unity faded and gradually things spiraled downhill as it grew harder for the team as a whole to maintain its unity and self-discipline.

sadly, the very thing that made the team so unique, so exciting, so expressive, was exactly what led to its downfall.

ronaldinho is just the most extreme example, and symbol, of all that was best and worst about that era. for this reason he will always be a figure that we will always have very mixed feelings for. he was a player that might have been able to give pele and maradona a serious challenge for best player ever, but the memories of that otherworldly potential, which was realized for 2-3 years, will always be tainted by the thought of what could have been.

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, evil. But hey, this squad isn't so bad now is it? And we might just have the best player on the planet again.

So I have to disagree a little bit on the disappointment of the squad itself. The saddest part of the Ronaldinho saga is Ronaldinho himself.

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'll mention this here since he was a former Barca player and it's a nice story.

Riquelme scored Boca's only goal today in their win over San Lorenzo. It was important because San Lorenzo were first place in the league and Boca 3 points behind and now they're tied for first.

It was also important since it was the first match Boca played since Pedro Pompilio (Boca's president) passed away from a sudden stroke. Everyone was still sad and it was an emotional tribute.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4ve4nOqlYsLmpPjnM

[​IMG]

10. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Motta made it in the "Serie A Team of the Week" on Goal.com :D.

Ronaldinho got an honourable mention :).

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The phrase "Serie A is crap" has just been confirmed. :D

12. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    Did anybody see Ronaldinhos goal there in the UEFA cup? Wowee.

13. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
  14. El Guero Sin Fe

Sep 27, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pretty powerful tribute - terrible defending though.

15. ronaldinh010

ronaldinh010 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    It's become a pattern for many Brazilian stars. They finish their careers so horribly, so little professionalism, leaving everyone wondering what could've been. We're doing just fine without him and he's regaining form.

As an admirer of his and a fan of the game, I'd be happy if he continues to regain form but I'm still sad that my favorite player squandered his opportunities with my favorite team. What a shame.

16. El Guero Sin Fe

Sep 27, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^ Agree completely. Except for the happy part...

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  19. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
  20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught the second half of Milan - Lazio in the Copa Italia just now, and it's the first time that I've got to watch more than highlights of R80. Gotta admit, his passing is still first-rate. And I really enjoyed the elbow he threw down on one of the defenders. :D

They still lost though. 2 - 1 after the extra period.

21. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    That was never in question though. I mean if that went down aswell he wouldn't have a career.

22. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of really lazy/hopeful chips into the area courtesy of R10 circa 07/08 might not agree with you. ;)

Seriously though, it's good to see his sharp passing back. Maybe he played too many games hurt last year, but I thought his passing had really declined.

23. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    That's were we disagree then.

24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This appeared in another thread, but it deserves proper ridicule here:

Giovani Dos Santos gets plastered at end-of-year Spurs party

Either that, or he's been drugged and kidnapped by Russian gangsters.

(And make sure to scroll down to the photo of Spurs winger Gareth Bale, who from the looks of it must be a date rapist in his free time. Yikes.)