Former Barca Players II - from Assulin to Zambrotta

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, May 21, 2012.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1077 Gilmango, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Sadly it is now reported that Romeu has an ankle fracture and will miss the rest of the season for Southampton:
    #SaintsFC boss Ralph Hasenhuttl says Oriol Romeu’s season is over. He has a fracture on his ankle & it requires surgery.
    [​IMG]
    Leeds' pitch claims its first victim.

Before that he put in the tackle of the season on Raphinha (video in article, really nice tackle):

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2021/...2021-great-romeu-last-man-challenge-vs-leeds/

ShortyMac repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xavi won yet another cup with Al Sadd, the Qatar Cup which is sort of a supercup played by the top 4 teams in the Qatar Stars League - his 5th trophy since winning this same competition last year. The only thing left is the league title, which he'll most likely get next week if Al Sadd win their next game. It's been a year of total domination for Xavi's Al Sadd as they've been streets ahead of everyone else all season...

ShortyMac repped this.
  4. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Great but i don't think anyone would rate his Qatar career seriously.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  5. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandro scored for Huesca, vs Eibar today.

@ 6:27

6. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy was a f*&king legend for us, I know it was time for him to go by last summer but damn he gave a ton while with us and was a great (and affordable) signing who made our squad better from the moment he joined. 18 minute interview in Spanish but with English subtitles:

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Not even mention he played out of his favourite position. How many players will accept it like him???

8. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Apparently Ronaldo Fenomeno 's former agent Giovanni blame Barca for that Ronaldo transfer to Inter Milan. Does anyone know that in detail???

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In 2018 Joan Gaspart (former Barcelona Vice-president) gave an interview where he talked about the Ronaldo situation from the club's point of view.
    So I've taken the quotes I found from that interview and combined them with the recent statements made by Giovanni Branchini (Ronaldo's former agent).
    I don't know it this will solve anything but it's interesting to compare the two versions.

Branchini:
    "There were several days of negotiations with the Barcelona lawyer and their vice president Joan Gaspart."

Gaspart:
    "Ronaldo wanted to stay at Barcelona. He was happy and wanted to extend. We had even typed the contract in front of the player and his two agents."

Branchini:
    "One night we 'kidnapped' Ronaldo from the hotel in Barcelona and we went to my partner Carlo Pallavicino's house. We had a meeting where if Barcelona had presented us a clean contract, we would have signed it. If not, what do we do? There was a small dossier with teams like Lazio, Inter and Rangers."

Gaspart:
    "We understandably decided to go out to eat and celebrate Ronaldo's extension, and then return to the office and sign the agreement that was made. That was a mistake because if we hadn't gone out to eat and signed the agreement at the time we made it, Ronaldo would have stayed at Barcelona.”

Branchini:
    "We shook hands with the Barcelona coaches, I asked permission to make a phone call and I called (then-Inter president Massimo) Moratti telling him that we have reached an agreement with Barcelona.

Gaspart:
    “At the time, we didn't pay much attention to the consultant's absence. When he returned, he apologized, drank coffee, we continued as before, then we went to the office to sign the contract,"

Branchini:
    "There was a press conference where Barcelona announced the agreement, but unfortunately the things that we had said did not correspond (to what they said).

Gaspart:
    "From the first moment we entered President Josep Lluis Núñez's office, the advisers began to put obstacles in our way. They told Ronaldo to go home and they would call him to sign."

Branchini:
    "We did not want to go down a path that would endanger the future of the most important player in the world. We had to get into fights that did not concern him."
    "We had nothing against the renewal with Barcelona, but we did not want image rights contracts and complicated situations."
    "If you want a TV channel to pay part of the contract, that's fine, as long as you pay us taxes."

Gaspart:
    "When we were able to renegotiate the five points requested, they found a sixth point, which we had also resolved, and then a seventh."

Branchini:
    "The difference that they underestimated was the clause, which was decisive."
    "At the beginning I thought it was a misunderstanding, then lost my temper. I looked at the partners and said, 'Gentlemen, we are leaving. Given this insult to our intelligence there is no reason to expose Ronaldo to this humiliation'."

Gaspart:
    “Through tears, Ronaldo told me he was sorry but his advisers had a much better deal than ours and it was better for all parties to go to another club to make a lot more money.”
    "We disagreed and I flew to FIFA in Zurich to make a complaint against Inter."

But in the end FIFA did not stop the transfer from going through. But they did increase the transfer fee.

Gaspart:
    “It was clear this was going to happen. FIFA agreed with Barcelona and Inter had to pay another 7 million euros."

After Ronaldo had agreed to an extension reportedly to be for 10 years, Barcelona president Josep Lluis Núñez publicly announced that “Ronaldo is now Barcelona’s forever.”
    The following day Núñez announced that negotiations had broken down.
    A few days later, Ronaldo signed with Inter.

Gaspart:
    "I personally told Moratti that what he did was not right because he knew that we negotiated and actually already agreed. He's always denied that we came to an agreement, but that's a lie."

Five years later, in 2002 after having helped Brazil win the World Cup, Ronaldo finally left Inter for Real Madrid.

Gaspart, who by now was Barcelona president:
    "Ronaldo told me he would go for Barcelona if we outdid the offer of Real Madrid or leveled it, but it was an enormous offer and we couldn't make such a big investment for a player who left the club that way.”

(I may be missing a few quotes but these are the ones I could find.)

inswinger and evil_allan repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You just rarely know the truth in these situations. People involved will lie even years later.

unclesox repped this.
  11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm biased but I tend to believe Gaspart was more truthful in his interview. And I hate the guy.
    But yeah, we'll likely never get the full details of how it all went down.

If the option to bring Ronaldo back in 2002 was there I'm glad Barca didn't sign him. And I'm not saying this on hindsight. When a player leaves under controversial circumstances I'd rather he not return irregardless of how talented he is..But that's just me.

inswinger and celito repped this.
  12. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Inter fans used to hate him, call him traitor so i think his agent words don't weight much to me.

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Ronaldinho seems to be addicted to alcohol, especially after his mom just passed away.

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I was going to put this in the Other Teams thread but I felt it's more appropriate here since it concerns former Barca players. :D

inswinger and ShortyMac repped this.
  15. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Lmao. Marca’s credibility is 0 at this point. Now let’s hope the same pattern continues with Haaland or Mbappe.

16. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tello with the 1-1 goal for Betis vs Atletico today.

3:20

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Iniesta, at 37, signs 2 year extension with Vissel Kobe.

Either he really loves to play or he really loves living in Japan.

ShortyMac repped this.
  18. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandro scored the 1-0 winner for Huesca vs Bilbao yesterday

1:15

19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Both

20. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also gets paid one of the highest salaries in all of football: 30-33M Euros / season! Has sponsorships with Asics, Nissan, and UFX in Japan, and I suspect he sells a ton of Bodega Iniesta wine in Japan as well.

inswinger, ShortyMac and evil_allan repped this.
  21. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dani Alves won the Paulista Championship, his first title with São Paulo. He has won 41 titles now at the age of 38, making him the player with the most trophies in the entire history of the game. :notworthy:

22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 years ago today, June 17, 2001, Jornada 38, Barca needed 3 points to earn the last Champions League spot (they were in UEFA that year, precursor to Europa, fun season with 4 Spanish teams in the quarterfinals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000–01_UEFA_Cup). Anyways Rivaldo kept giving Barca the lead only for Valencia's Baraja to level it back up, until the great last minute goal of all.

ShortyMac, evil_allan and unclesox repped this.
  23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For me, the most artistic solo effort Barca goal ever scored and that includes Messi v Getafe (the Maradona v England replication).

Koeman v Sampdoria remains my all-time personal favorite due to its significance and because it was a hell of a rocket blast past Pagliuca who was guarding that post.

ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    18 years ago.
    A watershed moment in the club's history.
    (B&W image has me wondering if @35mmMessiah took this photo. :laugh:)

[​IMG]

Gilmango, ShortyMac and evil_allan repped this.
  25. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ShortyMac and evil_allan repped this.