Former Barca Players II - from Assulin to Zambrotta

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Gilmango, May 21, 2012.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gilmango repped this.
  3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Same ... he’d be great on our left wing now ..

4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this summary on reddit's FCB thread:
    Luis Suárez is officially no longer a Barcelona player- probably the best striker we ever had and definitely one of the best players of all time to wear our shirt. Here's a quick statistical rundown of everything he has accomplished while playing for us, and all the records he made or broke.

• He played 283 games for us, scoring 198 goals and providing 109 assists; involved in a total of 307 goals, the third highest amount any player has produced in Europe since 2014, only behind Messi(404) and Ronaldo(341).

• Through those goals and assists, Suarez has also managed to become both the third highest top-scorer and the assist provider in the entire history of FC Barcelona, in just 283 games.

• Suarez's 109 assists since joining Barcelona is also the second highest amount provided by any player since 2014. Only one slightly ahead is Messi with his 135.

• Additionally, he is the third best all time Barcelona players in terms of goals in El Clasico, sitting at 11 and only 3 behind César.

• Suarez won the Golden Boot in 2015-16 season with 40 league goals and 18 league assists; no other player has ever managed to put better numbers in the history of recorded European Football barring Messi and Ronaldo.

• Suarez also became the first player in the entire history of Laliga to top the league in both assists and goals in a single season.

• In 2015-16, Luis provided 59 goals in all competition, as well as 24 assists, making it a total of 83 goal contributions. Except Lionel Messi, no player in the history of recorded Football has had a better season statistically, not even Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Suarez has been top assist provider in Laliga for three consecutive seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-18; becoming the second ever player in league history to achieve this feat after Mesut Ozil.

• Despite the criticism, Suarez has managed 25 goals and 22 assists, a total of 47 goal contribution in just 55 UCL games; these numbers are among the very bests in terms of pure ratios. Additionally, Suarez's assist rate in UCL with Barcelona is the second best in competition's history, after Neymar's career ratio.

evil_allan and ShortyMac repped this.
  6. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You could probably win a few bets telling people that "Luis Suarez" won the Ballon d'Or while playing at Barcelona. :D

Gilmango and evil_allan repped this.
  7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I've been hard on Suarez getting slow and unfit in recent years and his struggles in the CL but dude is an absolute legend. You could never doubt his will and fighting spirit! He always gave 100% and I will always love him for that.

Good luck Suarezito... Mr. Pistolero... I'll miss watching you in Blaugrana colors.

ShortyMac and evil_allan repped this.
  8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like if we just admit that this is Leo's last season, and we are not selling him in January, then we should've kept Luis along for the same last season ride. Sure the accountants would've probably made sure he did not play enough to trigger the player option for the following year, but letting him and Leo finish together and get all the farewell love together would have been great. Not to mention Luis probably moves up to #2 all time scoring, and keeping him is actually a bridge to keeping Leo. But we cannot even get a farewell right these days.

9. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    He was above anyone during 2015-2016 season. Deserve to win in 2014 as well for his Liverpool performance. But he is always a bad guy to public so no vote for him.

10. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Is Suarez 2015/2016 better than Ronaldo 1996/1997???

11. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    No. Ronaldo was better but Suarez was still amazing that season. Luis benefited more from great service. I think that 2016 Barca team was really really good but just got unlucky in the CL tie against Atleti. We definitely had the best team in the world that year IMO.

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Suarez scores two and assits one in his debut.

So Is Barcelona the problem all along???

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Suarez with decent service will still score a lot of goals. He was far form the main problem.

15. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Now watch Semedo - Traore kill the right flank then we move.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Traore would be a useful acquisition

17. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tello goal vs Valencia for 0-2:

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tello Gol around 2:35 in those all match highlights. Tello always had a nose for the goal, but he's no Ansu Fati. I just mean I cheer him on in his career but Barca don't need him. Not knocking him at all but our forwards tend to be world class and he is a good pro with a great nose for the goal which was a bit refreshing sometimes in our 'pass it into the goal' set up, but not quite anyone we miss in our current squad.

evil_allan repped this.
  19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long post about Motta's journey to coaching (found on Reddit's soccer thread):

Thiago Motta's full thesis ("The Value of the Ball - The instruments of exchange in the heart of the game"), translated
    [​IMG]
    Last friday, the italian federation released the thesis written by Thiago Motta which helped him top his class with a 108/110 rating.

Curious about what it was all about but not an italian speaker, I asked my good friend DeepL to help me with this task and to share it to this subreddit. Forgive me for some errors in the translation (I'm not sure about the title for example) but the majority of it seems to be perfectly readable.

I had some issues posting it on Reddit this weekend because it seems to be impossible to link directly to a PDF so I uploaded it on Imgur.

Don't expect a huge tactical lesson, Motta's thesis is not about that at all. It is more a psychological work, even philosophical sometimes, about what it means to be a technical player and the struggles the less skillful ones face to integrate in a team.

Here's how it's structured :

Introduction

Part One : Psychological Analysis

• The Personality

• The Stress

• The Stress Management

• Emotional Intelligence

• Competence

• Awareness and empathy

• Critical thinking and creative thinking

• Self-effectiveness

• Motivation

• The Flow

• Strength and opponents
    Part Two : Technical Analysis

• The Leeds United Example

• The Germany 2014 Example
    Conclusion

To read it in its entirety in english, HERE YOU GO. https://imgur.com/a/kaywPb5

evil_allan repped this.
  20. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rafinha took this kick to the ribs 12 minutes into his PSG debut...

1317186894355116032 is not a valid tweet id

Assisted Mbappe's goal

evil_allan, unclesox and Gilmango repped this.
  21. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedro and Carles Perez scored today for Roma:

0:41 and 3:22

Gilmango and evil_allan repped this.
  22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Talking about former players ..

Barcelona presidential favourite Victor Font says a clear plan to bring back the glory days to La Liga giants involves the old Barca dynasty of the likes of Pep Guardiola, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Carles Puyol breathing new life into the current one.

23. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daily Reminder: You are not Zlatan! Stay safe out there people!

[REGIONE LOMBARDIA] Zlatan Ibrahimovic: "The virus challenged me and I won. But you are not Zlatan, don't challenge the virus. Social distancing and masks, always."

With embedded/close captioned in English video:

[​IMG]

unclesox repped this.
  24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Since I have never won the Champions League can I claim to be like Zlatan?

25. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    No, I am like Zlatan!

[​IMG]