Former Athletica Players

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Jun 13, 2010.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    AIK lost to last-place Djurgarden yesterday. AIK is still ahead of Djur, but only by goal differential. They are now four points behind Orebro and Jitex.
    Lori played all 90 minutes.
    Also, I just found out by exploring that Kacey White and Tiffany Weimer are also on AIK's roster, but neither have registered minutes for the club yet, at least this season (both have been with the team before). I also found out that none of the club's goals have come from any of their currently rostered forwards. @_@

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
  3. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Tiffany Weimer is playing for Fortuna Hjorring in Denmark. She was there for at least the last 1/2 of last season as well.

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, considering the roster oops, I don't entirely trust the site I'm using, but it looks like AIK drew with #3 Vittsjo. AIK defender Maija Saari scored the tying goal in the 35th after Danesha Adams opening the scoring in the 4th for Vittsjo. AIK still in the drop zone, now six points adrift after Jitex and Orebro won.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say it's looking pretty bad for AIK. They are now 6 points behind three different teams. They just need to catch one of them, but they have only seven matches left. You almost have to figure they will need to get 10-12 points out of those seven matches even to have a remote chance. It will be an uphill battle for sure.

One advantage is that they have matches left with each of the teams directly above them in the table. But they also have to play Malmo and Tyreso, the two teams at the top, which will almost certainly be losses.

Still, it's good that Lori is getting to play somewhere and this is certainly one of the top leagues in the world.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an addendum, other former Athletica players in the damellsvenskan:

Madeleine Edlund - Is tied for the team lead in goals for Tyreso with 7
    Kendall Fletcher - Plays for Vittsjo
    Anita Asante - Has four goals for Kopparberg/Goteborg
    Sara Larsson - Plays for Orebro

8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well AIK have all three of those them left in the reamining seven games, if they win those three games they almost there, two games is as you mentioned against the almost impossible Tyresö and Malmö but the reaming two should be possible to take points from (AIK have beaten Götborg and just draw Vitsjö so they have the capacity to beat any team except perhaps the top duo).

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully those former Athletica players will have a new league in America to play in soon.

10. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOO HOO!!! :cool: Going to see USWNT v Germany 10/20!

I know this isn't the place to post this news, but I don't think any other threads are being reviewed any longer! My daughter and I are headed to Chicago (going to miss one of her games so we can see USWNT again!) and I'm wondering if other former Athletica fans will attend.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not me - too poor to travel, even if I was still only 5hrs away.... (in DC now)

12. AlwaysAthletica

May 28, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand...and believe me, we're going cheap! Not many decent sideline seats left; we're behind the goal, but guess we can move if there is room elsewhere. No one ever seems to bother ya up at Toyota Park. Thanks for the reply! Hope that DC is good for you!

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We missed this last week, but Lori scored as AIK beat Jitex 3-1 last Saturday. Even though (or maybe because) it snapped a three-game losing streak, AIK is in last place (13pts) with fellow relegation "hopefuls" Djurgarden (11th, 15pts) having won their last two games; Pitea, Jitex, and Orebro (8th-10th) are all on 19pts with three games left. AIK ends the season against Orebro, but faces Malmo (1st) Monday and Linkoping (5th) next Saturday, so will likely already be relegated by then...

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know what the tiebreaks are in Damallsvenskan, but winning a tiebreak is the only way Lori can stay in top flight without changing clubs. AIK was smashed (as expected) by Malmo yesterday 5-0, while Pitea won their match and Jitex drew theirs. That leaves AIK six points from safety (Orebro is in 10th with 19pts while AIK is in 12th with 13) with only two games left to play - all but mathematically eliminated.

15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Goal difference, and AIK is at -25 while Orebro is at -28 so if AIK win both their games and Örebro losses both theirs (and they meet in the last game) they are past them.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Checked the Aussie W-League website for the first time in a while and discovered this fun tidbit: Nikki Washington scored the game-winner for Canberra United in a midweek game over league-leading Perth Glory. Canberra had lost their previous two league games while Perth was massively on top of the table; now, after this weekend's games (Canberra won their while Perth tied theirs) Perth is still at the top of the table with 16pts but the Wanderers are in sixth place - only three points behind. Canberra is third at 16pts but only because they haven't scored as many goals as Sydney FC.

She was only with the team for a month, (I don't remember if she even got minutes,) but it still counts!

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National Women's Soccer League allocated the national team players from the United States, Canada, and Mexico today. Here is where our former Athletica players landed:

Shannon Boxx-Chicago Red Stars
    Hope Solo-Seattle Reign
    Jill Loyden-Sky Blue FC
    Ashlyn Harris-Washington Spirit
    Veronica Perez-Western New York Flash

Also of note:
    Diana Matheson, who Athletica briefly held the rights to (but was never signed to a contract), was allocated to the Washington Spirit. Also, St. Louis area native Becky Sauerbrunn was allocated to that other Missouri city, FC Kansas City.

This is the link I used to find out the allocations (although I'm sure there are many others):

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/national-womens-soccer-league-releases-200100208--sow.html

18. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very happy to have Harris back in Washington - think she's going to be sensational.

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Harris could ultimately be the second best American keeper, although it depends on if she continues to improve. She'll have a decent defense in front of her with Krieger, Gayle, and Garciamendez. But goodness knows where the Spirit's scoring is going to come from (at least based on the allocations).

20. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting off-topic, but I'm hoping they'll re-sign Lianne Sanderson and bring back Lisa de Vanna. That should help!

21. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    For the second time today I will second your statement.

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chalups is in Chicago right?

Who is that black defender who was very feisty and fiery? I remember she got into it with Wombat!

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lori is with Chicago. The defender you are referring to is Kia McNeill.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Former Athletica first round draft pick Kerri Hanks has not been signed by anyone in NWSL.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With preseason underway, I guess it should be time to add to this list
    Definite or close to it:
    Lori Chalupny-Chicago Red Stars
    Lydia Vandeburgh-Chicago Red Stars
    Kia McNeil-Boston Breakers