Forlan, will he make it?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by prk166, Aug 24, 2002.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Alright, Diego Forlan's been with the club for a bit now. No, not for years but still long enough for people to see him play & tiem for him to settle in a bit. Does he really have what it takes to make it at ManU?

2. Kelso2Utd

Kelso2Utd New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    New England, USA
    Good question.

He and Solskjaer seem to work well together when they're playing...

But he hasn't done anything, in my eyes, that makes me step back and be impressed.

But, I'd give him time because with Nistelrooy around, he overshadows both Solskie and Forlan. And I haven't seen Yorke for ages it seems (did he get traded without me knowing? lol)

We'll see this season...

3. MikeyM

MikeyM New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Frisco, TX.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have no opinion on Forlan @ this point. He hasn't done anything to make me think he was a good buy. As of now, I'd say bust, but he may turn around.

Kelso, Dwight Yorke was sold to Blackburn about a month ago. He's back teaming up with Andy Cole.

4. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    same here, forlan hasn't done anything yet to make me not like him, but he hasn't been spectacular either. i think he makes good backup, though. but, ruud, ole, and even giggs are ahead of him in my mind.

and is anyone else a little nervous/excited about seeing yorke and cole together again? maybe that'll keep blackburn up this season.

5. Kelso2Utd

Kelso2Utd New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    New England, USA
    Thanks! I've been so busy with MLS I've gotten a bit lazy with my ManUtd news...thanks again (I really should have known that too...)

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He still might come good this season, he was always going to be a project. But in hindsight, we could've had DiCanio for 4 Mil less last season...

7. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    but di canio is such an old man, i know he's great now (at least i think he is, i havent really seen if he's done anything yet this year) but how much does he have left in him?

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have a good front line of strikers in Ruud and Ole, DiCanio would've been a sub off the bench to come on and make something happen.

Who'd be more likely (at least for the rest of last year and this year) to come off the bench and score a goal - DiCanio or Forlan?

It's like I said, Forlan was bought for the future. If he does well this season, then it's a bonus really.

9. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    point well taken.

10. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    bah...he's doing just fine. Not every player comes into the league and starts scoring right off the bat...give him some time. It's not like he's gotten a ton of minutes and when he has gone on, he seems to be deffering his chances to the more establised goalscorers. Sure, as a striker he should be producing, but his composure on the ball and willingness to get his teammates involved is almost unchecked in compared to the other strikers, and he may be the best on the team right now as far as moving off the ball (keep an eye on him next game...he has an uncanny ability to see and create space). Really, I think that an Ole/Diego pairing would be fantastic, maybe give Forlan a chance to play that nether-world just behind the strikers (which is where he seems to naturally play, not totally a striker, more of a traditional "forward") and have Ruud see what it means to not be offside on every god damned play.

Forlan is doing very well and if all else fails, he'd make a great addition to the allready stacked midfield.

11. Kelso2Utd

Kelso2Utd New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    New England, USA
    I don't think anyone could have said it better than that. I couldn't agree more.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He basically wrote down everything I like about Forlan as well. I also agree he should get more of a run out in the team, he made an appearance in the Chelsea match for maybe a minute and a half, now we have to hear "22 appearances and no goals" bollocks. I'm not saying he can't contribute now, it's just that I think Silvestre has a better chance to score before Forlan does. Albeit, if the minutes were all equal it would be a harder bet to make to be sure.

Anyways, I never slagged off Forlan, it's just a simple fact that he hasn't scored for us yet. (except in a reserve match last year, IIRC)

I'm not too concerned in his development/progress as scoring goals is the least of our worries right now....

13. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i was really impressed with him against chelsea...

14. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

Yeah, he's just in a very hard situation right now...even coming off the bench on another team would be easier for him to score in. As it is now, he comes on usually with 10 minutes to play which is when we're either hitting on all pistons or falling back over. And no other striker off the bench has to play knowing that the best striker off the bench EVER is just ahead of him. He's yet to hurt the squad, has been in the creation of some great chances and will for SURE get better as time goes on. It's very unfair to call him a Garry Birtles Jr.; what was the last young player to come from an Argentine team and make an immediate impact on a european club? It's ignorant for anyone to put such demands of results on any given Southamerican player playing on his first Euro squad, let alone a top flight squad, let alone one of the best clubs in the world. I mean, the dood is 5'7" and 140, which makes him average in Argentina, and hasnt fully adjusted to banging with the big boys. Factor in that the Argentina league system has as many starts and stops as John Travolta's career, and your talking about a normal adjustment time frame of 8-12 months.

my coding is not working today...f it...

15. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    From what I've seen so far Forlan's best work comes away from the penalty area when he moves with the ball well and gets into position to take passes from midfield and defence. He doesn't strike me as an out and out striker at all. So far he's not been cool when he does get chances but he also doesn't seem to read the penalty box situation anywhere near as well as van Nistelrooy and certainly not Solskjaer (who's superb at identifying weaknesses). Consequently he doesn't get too many scoring opportunities. And, of course, coming on for 10 minutes at a time doesn't help (though that never stopped Solskjaer :) )

He may prove eventually to be the best partner for Ruud. The problem with Ole and Ruud is that they're both penalty box goal poachers and they don't work well together. In a striking pair you need one who'll score 15 goals a season for you but also make 15 for the other striker - Yorke with Cole, going back some Beardsley with Lineker. And of course Cantona with any competent striker :)

It'll be interesting to watch Forlan develop. The Argentinian game is very different to the Premiership stuff. There's more room and more time - I think this may be Veron's problem too and Serie A wouldn't change him. Forlan will take time to adjust, or not as the case may be, but he's a kid yet and has plenty of time and it's a case of "watch this space".

16. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, he's been coming on with 10 and 15 mins left in the game. It's a little tough to establish an understanding with everyone that quickly.

He showed what he can do at the WC.

17. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    well, he just came so close it hurts. disallowed goal, that's gotta sting.

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What's it been now, 22 games without a goal? I can deal with a lower strike rate given coming in as a substitute and all. But is this guy for real? Or is Fergi going to quietly buy a new striker during the transfer window and he's out of the picture for good?

19. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you not read any of the other posts on this thread?

thanks

20. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I think his confidence is very low and that's bad for a striker.

I watched him during the last 10 minutes of the Middlesbrough match. At one point the ball was played out to Beckham on the right about 10 yards from the goal line. He was clearly going to cross the ball across the front of the six yard box. Forlan was 8 or 9 yards out to the right of centre with a defender between him and Beckham. He needed to come more central and forward to the edge of the six yard box and he could have sidefooted the ball home. He didn't move. He stood still and just watched as Beckham crossed and the right fullback cleared it for a corner by the left hand goalpost.

He just didn't have the confidence to get in there where it matters and left it to others and the chance went begging.

21. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I remember thinking at that time the Forlan might have thought he had one of two options, as there was a defender in the passing lane: move forward or move back and that he was afraid of moving into an offside position if he went forward.

22. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    I agree. He seemed to hesitate between going in to meet the cross or move back and make himself available for Beckham to pull the ball back to him. In the end he did neither.

It may be he doesn't read Beckham well yet - Beckham likes to cross early not run with the ball and then pass. For me it was clear that Beckham would put the ball across the face of the goal not shuffle forward and then pull the ball back.

Forlan doesn't seem to have the instincts of a striker. He likes to run with the ball - what South American doesn't - and I don't think he's a penalty box goal poacher. Thank goodness - we have two of them already in van Nistelrooy and Solksjaer. He may in the end be a good fit with either of them.