forget about nuclear bombs, man-made black hole trumps all.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by nowayjose, Dec 16, 2005.

1. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
  2. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Lab fireball 'may be black hole'
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4357613.stm
    Artist's representation of a black hole, BBC
    Creating the conditions for the formation of black holes is one of the aims of particle physics
    A fireball created in a US particle accelerator has the characteristics of a black hole, a physicist has said.

It was generated at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) in New York, US, which smashes beams of gold nuclei together at near light speeds

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    If this were to happen, we'd all be gone instantly, right? Because if I'm just having some breakfast, then its over, I'm not going to worry about it.

4. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Damon made the definitive comment on this. Thread closed.

6. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No. Supposedly, all black holes slowly evaporate - they lose energy due to certain quantum effects which results in Hawking radiation. For the big ones in space this is pretty meaningless, but very very small black holes will evaporate quickly in a burst of radiation. Maybe. It's a little controversial.

This kind of study is important in finding out exactly how gravity works. There might be some danger, but then that is where science gets it bold and daring reputation from. It eats risk and craps a devil-may-care attitude. You know, leather-clad lab techs riding on their motorbikes down Mayberry's main street shocking fathers by telling the girls in the malt shop "I've got a 14 inch slide rule and I know how to use it. All. Night. Long."