Foreign Team Partnerships

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by RegginaFan1, Feb 9, 2007.

1. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Guys,

I'm sure you know already, but if you don't, it looks like the Colorado Rapids are going to be partners with Arsenal! Pretty cool. Looks like Arsenal will be bringing coaches over here and the Rapids will be based at Arsenal's training ground during a March training tour in England.

Personally, I think it's cool and can soon picture players from Arsenal being loaned to the Rapids.

I think that's what the league needs...close links to foreign team. I'd imagine it would be easier to get bigger names from them.

Once, I thought there was going to be a link between the MetroStars and AC Milan because of Donadoni's involvment and Weah training...but it wasn't the case. We'll see about this one...

2. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I think what Red Bull have done could be good because of the cash infusion and marketing muscle. But the two Red Bull teams (Salzburg and NY) are, if I'm not mistaken, distinct. It's not like one is a farm team of the other or players will shuttle between the two sides with any kind of frequency. I'm not saying that's what has happened with the Rapids either, but then you look at Chivas and what they have done with the L.A. team...

I'd be very concerned about being the "second fiddle" that is looked at as the farm team of the big club if I was a Rapids fan in this situation. I don't think that would be beneficial to soccer in this country. We need our teams to stand on their own feet internationally. Sure, the best U.S. players will play in Europe for the foreseeable future. But in the long term, for the league to be respected we need ultimately to be able to compete with the Latin American clubs in our hemisphere.

3. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Ed,

As far as the Chivas situation, I'd be concerned too. This seems different because I don't think the Rapids would become an offshoot or just a team that wears a similar uniform. I think Arsenal would have more involvement than Chivas has with the MLS USA team.

I'm hoping teams like Arsenal will help the Rapids and MLS to grow. Plus, one can't look at it from a 2nd fiddle perspective. MLS has to be humble. It is a new league of a game that has been established and played for over 100 years. Also, because Arsenal has been around for a very long time, have been in a top flight competative league, and have some great players, the Rapids and MLS could gain and learn a lot from them.

We just have to see where and how far it goes...

4. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    There are other "partnerships" already as you may know.. The Galaxy with Chelsea, for example.. We're still waiting for a player..;)

Other than a future friendly against them, perhaps, I don't know what we are getting with the partnership.. Maybe someone knows something.

5. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Jabinho,

Either it's new, I forgot, or wasn't really significant enough because I barely remember a deal between the Galaxy and Chelsea.

It looks like this partnership between the Rapids and Arsenal is supposed to include a coaching and facilities to a certain degree.

I read in the past of the Rapids saying there were supposed to be big ID changes with the team...colors, uniform, and MAYBE a name change. I'll tell you this, it wouldn't suprise me to see a team from Colorado wearing red and white.

6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    There's likely plenty on whatever the "deal" is/was on the net..
    This is the 1st thing that I found..

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2006/apr20.htm

7. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Colorado will also wear Fly Emerates?

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This trend is actually very interesting. It means that "World Football Money Machine" is starting to believe in the MLS. The potential here for cashing in is huge, and becoming less secret every year.

9. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Yup! Cha-ching!! $$$$$