Foreign Media and US Soccer Players

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Dec 29, 2005.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    didn't feel this deserved it's own thread, so I thought I'd start a general thread

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/sports/story/0,4136,99547,00.html

10 Gems (Singapore)

FREDDY ADU (DC UNITED & US)

Perhaps the most sought-after teenager in world football.

[​IMG] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]Freddy Adu.[/size][/font] Despite being only 16, striker Adu is coveted by a host of major clubs in Europe, as well as both the American and Ghanaian national sides.

While Ghana, the country of his birth, have already offered him a place in their 2006 World Cup squad, Freddy is reportedly keen to represent the United States, his adopted home country.

He still has four years left on his contract at DC United, but after that, a big money move to Europe is likely to follow.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2005/12/27/231572/Reds_get_a_boost_with_Vidic_deal.htm

Lists Eurosport.com's top 10 rising stars to make in impact in 2006

Yaya Toure (Cote d'Ivoire) of Olympiakos; Freddy Adu (DC United/USA); Rio Mavuba (Bordeaux/France); Sergio Aguero (Independiente/Argentina); Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord/Netherlands); Theo Walcott (Southampton/England); Javier Mascherano (Corinthians/Argentina) and Emanuel Adebayor (Monaco/Togo).

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article335579.ece

here, the Independant has a list of the top 20 players outside the Prem based upon potential. Convey comes in at #13, and is called the best winger, just barely beating out Eddie Lewis.

While Lewis is in the top 10 of over 30 players outside of the Premiership, and Hahneman rates as #33 over all

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  5. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    i really wonder what the interest abroad in freddy adu now is after 2 seasons as a pro.

6. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Adebayor is awesome. He's almost single handedly led Togo to the WC Finals. I think he'll have plenty of big club interest after this summer if not before then. Great skill. He's 6'2-6'3 and weighs about 180 I think.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Adu during and after the January camp. He's got a unique skill set that can prove valuable to the national team if he shows well. Eddie Johnson, DaMarcus Beasley and Landon Donovan are the only other players we have as fast and dangerous on the ball as Adu in my opinion. Freddy moves at a diff. speed than just about everyone else and we could use that for sure.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  9. Carrot

Carrot New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Boston
    From Babelfish: "Freddy hat's genuinly drauf."

I think that's one thing about Freddy we can all agree on.

10. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    Paging bltleo....translation bitte....

My German sucks and Babelfish is a headache.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok one how come Im not on the list of top 10 rising players

Cool article on Convey maybe a move to Liverpool

12. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I suispect adu's performance in the match against poverty has given him some good PR elsewhere...

good work nailing down all these links

13. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Actually, they just put down the teams that could use or be interested in a player at certain position or of certain quality. It doesn't mean that the teams are pursuing him.

Edit to add:
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to appooOnU again.

14. Betamax

Betamax Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Houston, Tx
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy hat's echt drauf = Freddy hat es echt darauf.

More or less, he genuinely has it.

In America one would say, he is "material the Deal" .

15. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says Freddy was born in Subject, in the Hunger.

Choice lines:

"Then it is prepared, because it will not delay very so that the young (16 years) born in Subject, in the Hunger, citizen of the United States since 1997, pass to integrate the fan of the main celebrities of the circus of the world-wide soccer."

"Of it, Bruce Enclosure for bullfighting, North American selector, was taxing in the appreciation:"

18. jott

jott Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my take on the article.

USA bets on "Soccer-Wunderkind" Freddy Adu

He's billed as a "Soccer-Wunderkind" and has been for over a year the figurehead of MLS. At the 2006 World Cup in Germany, the 16 year old could become one of the stars.

Coach Bruce Arena has invited the offensive middle fielder from Washington DC to the national team training camp for the first time in Carson, California, this January. "For his age I've never seen as talented a player as Freddy", Arena opined. Adu will turn 17 six days before the beginning of the World Cup - the same age as Pele at his first World Cup.

If the pressure is raised, it'll play free and easy. The style and manner, with which Adu handles the ball and the expectations of the public, is likewise influenced. "I see myself one day in a world cup final with the US and I see how we, as outsiders, perform against the favored opponents, and grab the title. And when I lift the trophy in the air, someone will take a picture. Oh man, that would be massive." At least with such comments comes through the refreshing easygoing of a teenager, who, after more than a year in professional football, mystifies and schools the opposition.

"Freddy has it going on. In America, one would say, he is the 'real deal'", said captain Claudio Reyna, and the former Leverkusen player Landon Donovan added, "With his spontaneity, his game wit, his speed and his technical capability, Freddy is an enrichment for every team". The praise of colleges is understandable. At 14 he celebrated his professional debut in MLS. At 13 he signed his first sponsorship deal with Nike and raked in $1 million a year for it. An alluring six-figure offer from Inter Milan propelled forward the development of her son, though mother Emelia had declined. After all, little Freddy was just 10.

Could the Ghanian born Adu be the helper of development for US Football? "Why Not?", asked his famous uncle, former Hamburg player Anthony Yeboah, "I'm proud of him. Freddy has unbelievable potential". In the past year Freddy became champion with DC United, in 2005 led the U-20 national team to the round before the quarterfinal of the Youth World Cup. Hard to imagine, that the 5.67' monster talent firat played organized football at the age of 10 - two years after the Adu family left Ghana.

Because the US and Ghana will duel in the group stage, it fits into the unusual history of this ball whisperer. "I still have to learn a few things, but I'll give it my all, to be there at the World Cup", said the third highest paid player in MLS ($550,00). His international renown is already getting a powerful thrust. On December 22nd, he gets to show his stuff in Düsseldorf at a benefit game on the side of, among others, Ronaldo and Zinedine Zidane.

19. jott

jott Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consistent good performance pays off in the end. This is also documented in the latest issue of Kicker, which is put forth in the first part of its traditional rankings of German football, in which keeper and central defenders come under the magnifying glass.

In this ranking Dimo Wache, key player and captain of Mainz, has retained his position in the "field of vision". The 32 year old is or of the 12 best keepers in the Bundesliga. Leading the list, by the way, is headed national keeper Oliver Kahn of FC Bayern München, sometimes national keeper Frank Rost (Schalke), Robert Enke (Hannover) and Kasey Keller, all were designated world class.

For the first time, Mainz central defender Manuel Friedrich made the leap onto the list. The Guldenthaler will be likewise classified by field of vision. What's interesting in the defender ranking, which headed by the Brazilian Lucio (Bayern), is the fact that, out of a total 16 central defenders, only two have German citizenship. Besides Friedrich, only Hannover's Per Mertesacker was likewise ranked on the list.