Ford Edge

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Sempuukyaku, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you guys think of the new Ford Edge coming out next month?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm NOT a fan of American cars....at all. But I must say, this looks very sleek and stylish. It gets 25 MPG highway which isn't too bad for an SUV and it starts out at $26,000. I don't think it's half bad, personally.

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's supposed to be a mid-car as a cross between a car and an SUV. The problem is that there are seemingly more similar models already out on the market.

Meanwhile, Toyota is starting TV ads promoting it's Hybrid cars.

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    How is that a problem?

I know it's a new concept so many haven't caught on to it yet, but only since the dawn of time car manufacturers have been imitating each other as soon as they see something that works.

This is one of those occasions.

Well that's great and all, but the fact is, people aren't sold on them yet.

There are a great number of people like myself that love the idea of the hybrid but are waiting for two things to happen: They cost no more than the regular minivan/SUV they're in the market for, AND they know exactly how the maintenence plan is gonna work out for the life of the car.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    As of last Friday afternoon, my dealership did not have any of these in yet.

I won't be in the market for a new ride until maybe 2008. I'm a big fan of my local Ford dealership and will probably get another Ford and of course the Edge is on my list along with another Focus or Ranger.

I'm getting an oil change tomorrow morning and will definately look at the Edge if they have any in stock.

5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fugly :p

Chevy Bowties or BMW's :D

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question is how quick it is. Ford has come out with the F-500, the Freestyle, and the Fusion, all of which are good cars except for being sluggish as...slugs. Consequently they have not sold well. The Edge will suffer the same fate if it is also underpowered.

Ford was idiotic to promote the safety aspect of its cars instead of putting resources into engine development.

7. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey they never have been good in the horsepower department so ;)

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone else noticed that all of Ford's new cars have grills that look more at home on a Sub-Zero refrigerator?

9. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they think they look mean and scary :D

10. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    I saw one a week ago today at, of all places, the Citrus Bowl parade here in Orlando. First impression was that it had much better proportions than most every American product of the present.

But it did have a bit of an overly hefty look to it, that left with a fairly strong impression that the only way it wouldn't be sluggish and underpowered feeling would be to have some huge V-8 in it, and the 11 feet-per-gallon gas mileage that comes withit. (although, so far as I've heard, the Edge isn't available with a V-8; or not yet, at least.)

Bottom line: yeah, it's sorta sharp and whatnot, but just too risky to drop the dough on, when there are so many other better prospects to haul the family and the stuff around in.

11. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it looks okay. Really, although I don't get the grill.

The problem is that if Honda made this car, it would get 32 MPG and last 10 years at a minimum. If Toyota made this car, it would get 30 MPG and last 15 years at a minimum.

Ford? 25 MPG and 5 years, tops.

And even if it isn't true, that's the perception, and that's what Ford will be fighting for years to come. All because in the 80's and 90's, American cars were crap, and people remember cars that treat them badly.

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Göteborg Sweden
    Looks like they were trying to be all futuristic and original in the front, but wanted to pull an escalade in the back...

13. xdanx

xdanx Member

Aug 12, 2004
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't gotten the chance to drive the edge yet, but if it is half the car that the Lincoln MKX is then Ford has a winner on their hands.

The engine does not seem under powered at all, when I first heard that it was going to have a v6 in it I was a little bit worried, but believe me the new v6 has plenty of get-up in it. The driving dynamics of it are very smooth, no real quirks that bugged me. My favorite feature has to be the Panoramic moon roof, it is quite cool to have almost the entire roof be glass. I would deffinately recomend either car(the ford or lincoln) to anybody in the market for a new vehicle.