Forced courtesy by FIFA

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Femfa, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    From SI -

Arena doesn't think much of FIFA's new requirement that players on opposing teams shake hands after games. "Sometimes it's best that opponents are separated,'' he said. "I don't think it's something that's real important. That's something people in suits think is important.''

I didn't know about this new rule, but I think it's pointless and stupid. Players shaking hands after a game used to be a class act. Now that everyone will be forced to do it, we'll never know who would have done it anyway.
    It could also be dangerous, becuase, like Arena says, sometimes seperation is better. If someone is really pissed off at me, I don't want them touching me.

Thoughts?

2. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I disagree with most of FIFA's actions regarding "bringing the game into disrepute." Some of the things they fine players & coaches for are ridiculous. It almost seems sometimes as though valid critiques of FIFA are met with fines & suspensions.

I think FIFA could stand reading Voltaire once in a while.

3. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I agree with Arena on this one. I think most teams usually shake hands/exchange shirts after a hard fought match on their own. No need to mandate it.

However, if I was Cobi Jones after Us vs. Mex in the World Cup, I think that little ceremony would have ended in a brawl.

Anyway, forcing a handshake after the game reminds of youth soccer games where you line up on the half line and just run past the other team, half repeating..."Good game..good game...good game..." Might as well require that orange slices be served.

It is much more meaningful if you go over and shake hands with your opponent on your own free will

4. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    If anything FIFA should ban players taking their jerseys off to celebrate goals. I see absolutely NO REASON to take your shirt off when selebrating a goal...unless you are on a female team. Its stupid, pointless and a lack of respect to the team you play on and even the advertisers that PAY to be on it.

5. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I disagree with you there Soccerscout. There are more important things than whether a player takes their shirt off or not. A ban/card/fine would be silly. It would be a bit like deducting points for teams that have ugly away kits, more than one player with the same surname, or introduce a ban on facial hair ?.

And why are you so dead against the sight of a man with no shirt on ?. It's not like he's going to have a gay orgy with his teammates in the penalty area.