Forbes article on MLS franchise values

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Nov 20, 2013.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  2. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Could be big sponsorship money. Is their stadium named? I can't remember.

3. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I don't have time to read the full thing. I assume we're #1, right?

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  4. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes. Stadium is named. BBVA Compass.

Interesting article. I'd be interested to see if the $ listed per team include those SUM dividends he spoke about or TV $ or Expansion $.

Also I find it interesting that he suspects the TV deal would be higher next year.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise that DC and Chivas are at the back...but wait...what is this? TFC is actually MAKING money, despite the fact they don't have any fans?

6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AP got a deal at $60M with the $71M valuation.

The new TV deal(s) next year will be interesting. The league is going great guns to find ways to put an entertaining product on TV screens. Full stadiums with engaged fans make for much better viewing. The new venue in SJ, and the new additions in Orlando and NY should help give a few more places that will look good on TV. But those rating are kind of abysmal and trending down.

I hope the authors prediction that the league can double or more the current deal is possible.

From a Crew perspective we've got some work to do if we want to see a high profile 2nd DP. I don't see AP going deeper in the red to add a DP in the above $1M/year range. If we get another influx of cash from stadium sponsor or start getting up in the 19K attendance figures that money might be there.

The 2014 season is going to be really interesting. The TV deals expire, the WC, our new coach and a rebrand coming in the 2015 season lead me to believe that everything the FO does in 2014 will be geared towards making a real splash come 2015. I don't mean to say it is a throw away season kind of like 2013 was. Far from it, it is more make or break, keep the momentum going.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In the case of Houston, they apparently have a very favorable local TV contract with Comcast. The revenue number also is EBITDA which for a team with a new stadium means major interest and depreciation.

For the Crew the numbers are basically meaningless without including CCS. It was separated so that most of the profits would be in the stadium venture with the team operating at a loss or breakeven.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  8. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are the mayor's supplier.

Robbo Crewfan and eboe repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, let's all remember that AP also owns the stadium and makes some non-Crew revenue from that. Point being, even if the Crew is slightly in the red, AP is still making money from his Crew/CCS ownership.

The money is there.