For your reading pleasure.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Jun 29, 2005.

1. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Re: Allen Hopkins disses the Bay Area

Thanks for the tip. I went to edit and did not see the delete all key. Oh well, it is a good reminder to check all threads thoroughly before posting. :eek:

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, like magic, there is only one thread where before there were two.

And I gotta say, his original article was crap -- entertaining crap, but still crap -- but his email response to FAS was comedy gold. "I have a pedigree!" Yeah, Hopkins, your pedigree and $3.50 will get you a latte at Starbucks.

3. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    !

FAS - I was also thinking what Mark wrote.....you seem to have at least gotten his attention and not gotten the "form emal response" everyone else got!

We should send his snotty email to Wynalda and see what he thinks of it....how he "goes to Hopkins for advice..."

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: !

Do it! What with Waldo's ego it oughta be fun to see the response....

5. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos

Oh, do you have Wynalda's and Hudson's email address? I don't have em in my blackberry cos I've been hidden under some rock :D

6. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    OK, so I was curious to find out what Hopkins' background really is....for a full background see "Interview with Allen Hopkins"

OMG - first of all, he's so pompous he wouldn't tell the interviewer his background, he had to tell the interviewer to "check out my bio". Sheesh!

Now I'm really impressed - wow, he played NAIA level college ball, and ohhhh, he played 2nd division A League. He's really impressive :D

This guy's a jerk - to talk about "getting my first 'cap'" by the fact that he was a sideline reporter for the USMNT game....I know he wasn't saying he played, but just to think about it that way shows his attitude.

I'm really certain that Wynalda seeks out soccer advice from this guy......NOT.

7. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

lol......I don't have it, but I'm searching for it.

8. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    OMG, what did i do, this guy really does have a pedigree, he played in the A-League :rolleyes: No wonder Wynalda and hudson go running to him for advice.

9. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos

OK, i found Waldo's address (takingshots@hotmail.com) and am off to forward an e-mail.

If anyone has Ray Hudson's please let me know.

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! Don't forget about that cap he got under the Bruce!

:rolleyes:

The man is clearly delusional (sp?).

11. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA

Good job - I tried the Fox Sports website, thought they might have it but haven't been able to find Hudson. Am still looking.

12. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    mail to waldo:

Eric,

I received this reply to an e-mail I sent to Allen Hopkins and I can't help but be curious as to why in the world an accomplished and knowledgeable person such as yourself (with a true soccer pedigree) would ever need to call Mr. Hopkins for advice. Would you care to comment?

By the way, my son still remembers you very fondly for being so friendly at Meet The Clash in 1996. Thanks again.

I like your work on ESPN, keep up the good job.

Regards,

Tony

13. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Did you include your original email, and a link to the article by Hopkins? If not, you might want to send that to give him some context. Wynalda was one who was commenting on the broadcast how good it was for MLS, so you know he wouldn't agree with the original message Hopkins wrote.

14. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I didn't include a link to the original article but I did forward the original e-mail, and the e-mail title referenced the article on MLSnet.com.

15. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Very quickly 'bout dis P.O.Ch. pedigree.
    In mid 90's I was a regular at Negoesco Field , and names like Weaver, White, Brown and Cowell stand out for dem Seals; I can't remember Hopkins.
    First 3 made MLS; with Brown getting REAL caps.
    What a douche.
    He basically capitulated to FAS by not adressing the subject but using a third person reference i.e. :" Waldo's e-mail is in my Blackberry thus I am right."
    How tre' pathetique.

16. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    From that same interview that LGF found....
    SL: There has been a lot of talk regarding the pros and cons of Chivas USA playing its home matches at the Home Depot Center. In your opinion, is this good or bad for the Galaxy? MLS?

AH: Great question. I did reports for MLS Wrap and the FSW Report at the press conference and was really excited about the passion and pageantry Chivas USA will bring to MLS. No doubt, the league needs some color and in probably more ways than one. Jorge Vergara, Antonio Cue and now Whit Haskel, whom make up the management team, will have success off the field.
    On the field, it's still the Galaxy as the true standard bearer for MLS and Chivas has to take that from them. Bottom line: Galaxy continues to win matches and compete every year and win MLS Cups, there will be no impact on the club. Least we forget, the Galaxy last year became the first MLS club 'ever' to make a profit, so the Galaxy will be fine. Plus, honestly the location of the Home Depot Center is giving it stronger ties to the South Bay beach communities and Orange County so the fan bases could be very distinct and polarized. But most importantly I strongly believe LA is more than capable enough of supporting two clubs.

Does anyone remember the Galaxy winning MLS Cups, i must've missed their second one, or does he still believe LA won that game when they were 3 goals up in 2003 and went on to become only the 2nd team in the league to win it twice?

17. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos

SL: I've learned that you are an Executive Producer for the up-coming moving Goal! What will your role be?

AH: (Laughs) Oh how I wish I was an Executive Producer, however being an Associate Producer is perfectly okay especially when you consider who I am working with; Lawrence Bender, Mel Gibson, Bruce Davey, and Mike Jefferies. It's really the opportunity of a lifetime, one that has me very seriously thinking about changing careers to producing movies.

now that'd be a breath of fresh air for football fans :)

18. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Mark, just read that the winner of the Timbers/Sounders game in the USOC will play the Quakes on August 3rd, so hopefully you'll get to see your two favourites go head to head.

19. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Hmm....eloquent. He should write instead of talk. :D

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you reach Ray through the GOL-TV email address? Not sure, but I thought it was ray.hudson@goltv.tv
    Anyone else?

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I'll try it, thank you Albany.

22. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    That one didn't work, got a reply from that mailer-daemon guy, but at least he makes more sense than Hopkins.

23. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AH: "No doubt, the league needs some color and in probably more ways than one."

Where are the politically correct police when you need them?

24. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Oh now I know who hopkins is, that idiot who is doing the DC-Crew game on FSC. Gawd, i have always hated that pair, the very worst pair of commentators in the US, FSC really should get rid of them, they put me to sleep every time I watch a game they call.

I switched to internet coverage of the DC-Crew game so that I wouldn't have to hear those clowns.

25. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    FSC should get Ray Hudson to do games. He's so freakin hilarious. I heard him recently on a SJ Broadcast.