For those that went to the game...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jlm120170, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    For those that went to the game what was your impression of the Home Depot Center what was it like in person.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    it was best I've seen in US (live/pictures/video) although I like RFK feel better. Hopefully DCU stadium will be even nicer :)

3. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland

Ill never miss another again thats my punishment for not going..

4. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walking around the outside of the stadium I thought the place, and the sun-roof especially, looked a bit flimsy. Inside, I was impressed with the layout and the wideness of the concourses. I loved how close the end zone "seats" were to the field. I felt like I could just reach out and slap Oshoniyi. The end zone seats are just benches, although with a little bit of a lip so your butt doesn't slide. :rolleyes: It's a good thing we don't sit because the benches weren't much of an improvement over old Foxboro. The only other complaint I had was that they need two Jumbo-Trons. The existing one was impossible to see from our seats.

Overall, I loved the facility. Good sight-lines and more than adequate amenities. I would kill to have a stadium like it, but I still don't think that it quite lived up to the hype I've heard about it.

5. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Architecturally it is a very nice stadium. The roof is superb. It's semi-opaque fabric stretched over a very attractive support system. I would like to see that copied near identically in DC, only with D C U N I T E D spelled out in the fabric. Also, the roof seemed a bit too high above the stands, but I think there could have been an air circulation reason for that.

The seats behind each goal are not covered. That poses a bit of a problem, in my opinion, for a DC United stadium. We would need to have a "Kop" like section for supporters so that we can project across the river and really make impressions on the baseball fans.

Also, I was quite disappointed in the lack of monitors along the concourse. You can't see the game nor do you get to follow it while wandering around. This, however, could encourage more fans to stay in their seats. So, it's not a black and white issue.

Finally, 20 oz margaritas are a major plus. Lots of large lemonades being sold in the stands on a hot day, also a plus. Celebration sausage dogs being carted around our tailgate and the price dropping every 1/2 hour...nice.

Cheers,
    Tim