For those complaining about MLS club names...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Michael CM1, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    First the originality of the Houston Texans, and now....

The Washington Nationals!

That is officially the stupidest sport team nickname I have ever heard and I have heard of WUSA, WNBA, and Arena Football names.

(For those of you who don't know, the Nationals is what the Expos are renaming themselves)

2. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found pretty much everyone hates a teams new name right off. Give it a year and then see how you feel.

Lee

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the "Silverback" fan. :D

Nationals is not that bad at all.

Burn, Crew, Wiz and Clash are pretty bad. They sound like a beer can being kicked down steel stairs.

4. metro_striker

metro_striker New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    I dunno... the Washington Nats isn't exactly the catchiest name. Your team name is never good when its nickname sounds the same as a type of insect.

5. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I can get used to any name. I mean, I follow the Rapids. It just takes awhile to settle into the norm.

Too bad they didn't go back to the Senators. I liked that.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except its not Nats - it's Nationals.

You're talking about a nickname of a nickname.

7. metro_striker

metro_striker New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    No the Nationals is the new official name of the team. Therefore Nats is the nickname of the team.

11/22/2004 12:00 PM ET
    D.C.'s team to be the Nationals
    Name reached after extensive research
    By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- City and team officials announced at a Monday press conference at the Main Hall in Union Station that Washington, D.C.'s baseball team would be named the Nationals.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com...nt_id=915341&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

8. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im a backs fan too and i love the name! go silverbacks!

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we have a minor league hockey team here called the richmond river dogs

10. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there a team in the A-League called the Salty Dogs or something? That is embarrassing haha

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    "was" being the operative word

12. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You mean Syracuse FC? Yeah, they were the best, or worst, of both worlds.

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked the Macon Whoopies.... a minor league hockey team from GA.

14. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    A weird one I liked was the Solar Bears, a minor league hockey team from Florida. See, we're in Florida! No polar bears here, it's too sunny and warm! We've got Solar Bears instead!

Well, I liked it.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    and we have a High School around here called the Ann Arbor River Rats.

so ha! I win.

and for greatest nicknames of all... may I present the Zeeland East "Chix" and the Zeeland West "Dux"

http://www.zeeland.k12.mi.us/zhs/projects/athletics/Index.html

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nationals is a historic Washington baseball name. The team was called that before the Senators.

It's kind of a blah name. It doesn't evoke love or hate for me. But its definitely better than any WUSA, WNBA and Arena Football League names. I wouldn't go that far.

17. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you think silverbacks is a bad name? i, and most people who have discussed the name with me, actually like it. its extremely original and rolls off the tongue.

but then again, you are a fc dallas burn 1996 fan.

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The House would have demanded equal time and space.

Let me guess: the team plays in the National League.

19. Conagher

Conagher Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Remember the Cyber Rays from the WUSA? That's the bottom of the naming barrel as far as I'm concerned.

Houston Texans is close, though.

20. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Did Chandler and Joey graduate from those schools or something?

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but they were officially the Washington Nationals back in the first iteration of Washington baseball as well, and were nicknamed the Senators

from wikipedia.com

The Washington Senators (officially named the Washington Nationals during the 1901–1956 seasons) were an American League baseball team from 1901 to 1960. The franchise then moved to Minneapolis and became, and still remains, the Minnesota Twins. The Senators won one World Series (1924) and lost two (1925 and 1933). Among its stars included Hall of Famers Goose Goslin, Sam Rice, Heinie Manush, and Walter Johnson. Up and coming Washington star Harmon "Killer" Killebrew was a young phenom in the late 1950s and early '60s who went with the team to Minneapolis and spent all but one year of his career with the Senators/Twins.

It is said that prior to the Cuban revolution, Fidel Castro tried out for the Senators as a pitcher during the early 1950s.

The team played its games at Griffith Stadium, sharing it with the Homestead Grays of the Negro Leagues (who played some of their games there).

Team nickname: Nats, short for Nationals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Washington Senators were also an American League baseball expansion team from 1961 to 1971. The franchise then moved to Arlington, Texas and became, and still remains, the Texas Rangers. In eleven seasons, the Senators posted only one winning season (1969). Frank Howard was the team's most accomplished player. Ted Williams of Boston Red Sox fame managed the team from 1969 to 1971, and moved with the franchise to Texas in 1972.

The team played its games at D.C. Stadium (renamed Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium in 1968) on East Capitol Street and the Anacostia River.

Team uniform colors: Red, blue and white, with script "Washington" across the player's chest

Because the original Senators' relocation to Minnesota and the expansion Senators' arrival occurred in the same year (1961), it is a very common mistake to combine the two franchises into one, as they both had the same name.

22. metro_striker

metro_striker New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Forget copying these European team names overseas, these MLS executives have got to do a better job coming up with creative names that have a distinctive American identity. Can you imagine any team elsewhere in the world calling themselves in the Yankees? I don't... so why the hell are we calling ourselves a Spanish team name and even worse... pronouncing it differently.

A team name needs some history... look at...

MLB
    Yankees
    Red Sox
    White Sox
    Braves
    Dodgers

NBA
    Knicks (Knickerbockers)
    Celtics
    Lakers

etc... etc...

What an MLS teams needs is a local identity... why the hell is the LA Team called the Galaxy? KC Wizards? Seeing that home games bring in local people obviously you gotta give them something in common to identify with.

23. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I was waiting for someone to bring up the CyberRays. [cringe]

And to be fair, I don't think high school and college nicknames should be considered, because they are often obscure or bizarre - a high school back home has the nickname "Knotty Oakers", and as far as college goes... UCSC Banana Slugs, anyone?
    That being said, there is an AHL hockey team called the Albany River Rats (Devils' farm team), so that's pretty dumb. I personally think Chivas USA ranks up there with Team America (NASL) and Team Hawaii (guess who) as far as unoriginal names go. Other names that suck, imo:

Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)
    Minnesota Wild (NHL)
    Tampa Bay Devil Rays (MLB)
    Utah Jazz (NBA - didn't like it when it was New Orleans Jazz, either)

BTW, have the rest of you heard about the Angels' owner who wanted to rename the team "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"? If this gets accepted, it's moving right to the top of the list.

24. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy - there's an important observatory around LA, I believe. Plus Hollywood has a bunch of stars (it's a stretch, but I think that's how they justify it)
    Wizards - KC ---> Kansas ---> Wizard of Oz

25. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Or the Pittsburgh Riverhounds formally of the A-League