For the new Houston team, what kind of name do you want ??

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by krayzie, Dec 15, 2005.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Athletico Houston

2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: HOUSTON QUAKES? Or another name?

with South American roots in Houston i say

INDEPENDEINTE!

i cant spell

3. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA

Houston (Robert) Horrys

4. footballer7883

footballer7883 New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    Lonestar FC
    Sounds cool, good Texas name.

5. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Basketball is a highly americanized sport, unlike soccer.

6. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Surely it has to be the Houston Stetsons.....hehe

7. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

Yes, and you guys could all be the Athletic Supporters!

8. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i dunno guys....all this talk about Houston being an international city an all sounds like:

Houston Internacional

but i hope it will be

Houston International

9. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto

Ok so its Independiente, but close enough. I like it because it covers the Euro and Latin naming side, but appeals to Texas sensibilities with thewhole independence, free spirit, 'Remember the Alamo' angle.

10. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto

I hope not! I want the name International to be for Toronto.

11. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i thought you wanted "Toronto Gunners" you arsenal fan bah!

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Horns (probably not as FCD uses Horns on its logo) or Houston Devils as it's hotter than Hell there in the summer.

13. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United

Houston Haze, it is one of the smog capitals of the US after all!

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    It is?? How can a sport that was invented in America, played almost exclusively by Americans for the first several decades of its existent, popularized by Americans and then exported to the world be considered Americanized? If anything its been Internationalized since they use a different set of rules for most international competitions. It's not "americanized" it simply is what it is.

15. nailz

nailz New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    fans vote on houston team name

As posted on MLS's Houston site:

"Team Name: Starting soon, fans will have the opportunity to vote for the team name by visiting www.MLSinHouston06.com."

16. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: fans vote on houston team name

The Houston Displaces Citizens.

17. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Because it was invented by Canadian James Naismith, making it Americanized, not American.

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    While living and working in the United States, where it was then developed and popularized.....not in Canada. The game that Naismith created is far different from the game played today, and much of those changes and improvements were made by Americans while the game was being played exclusively in the United States. It's as American a sport as you're going to get as both baseball and football have their roots in sports developed in England. Americanized implies that it was imported to the US where it was then modified to appeal to the American culture. This is clearly NOT the case with basketball.

19. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Yeah, Texas is the only state that was truly independent before joining the U.S.
    California could claim to have been but they were only independent for like five or so days, so you really can't call that independent.

20. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    That's kinda close to my club's name, Lonestar SC.

21. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Our guy invented it, you popularised it. Honours even between Canada and US then. Its still not an 'American' sport, 'North American' maybe i'll give you.

22. Numero Dos

Numero Dos Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I don't think the mainstream media or majority of the population will embrace the team for a long time, but I don't want a name that confines the team away from the mainstream and that may turn off potential fans. Thus, I don't want a "traditional: name like FC or SC, or United. If we do go with anything "traditional," we should do something that also makes sense from a Texas perspective. On that track, the only name that I can think of immediately is Rangers, although I'd like to brainstorm about others. I also suspect that they'll want something with a somewhat Latin connotation, but if they do that, I hope its not so Mexican that the masses can't relate; i.e., I'd prefer a word that most of the population doesn't automatically think of and say, oh, that's a Mexican word. The best I've heard so far along these lines is Matadors. It's kind of cumbersome, but the concept makes sense: Matadors are elusive, valiant, and stylish; also the potential graphics/logos, could be pretty cool. I'm sure there are even better options, and I hope that people will try to think of better examples that fit these parameters. Other than that, I do like Hurricanes (not Hurricane) because of the NASL tradition, and with the right PR spin, they could pull this off. I also like Appolos with the ancient legend/NASA dual connotations, and I was hoping that's be what they called the Texans.

Colors? MLS has too much red and blue. Orange, Purple, and green are often mentioned, but might not sell well. How about a relatively clean black and white design, with a third color (orange, maybe) as the highlight/accent?

23. ickenham

ickenham New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Colors: Something that is the opposite of red (fc dallas): I dont know, but purple is horrible, green is for seatle and rochester, so what about blue like italy or schalke04? black and white could be an option, but would have to be like juventus (vertical stripes, and narrow ones, not like udinese)....

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Hawai'i independent as well?

I vote for an American style reasonable sounding name, Rovers, Generals, whatever. Just not FC Houston, Real Houston, Deportivo Houston, etc.

25. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for the Houston Nomads.