For the FO: Stadium glitches thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by I_Believe_In_Kreis, Oct 10, 2008.

1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ran into Kris Katseanes after the match - he (and the rest of the staff) was curious to know if there were any issues with the stadium that they need to work out. So to help the FO quickly identify what needs corrected, let's do a dedicated thread to glitches you saw/experienced/heard about last night.

Anything related to the general stadium experience goes - parking, ticketing, concessions, facilities, traffic, amenities.....but let's save complaining about the on-the-field product for a different thread.

And let's resist the urge to whine about things we wish the stadium had - please stick to issues with the stadium experience in its current form.

I'll start off with the two glitches I experienced:

- Elevators overheated and were shut down, forcing everyone on the west side to take the stairs.
    - Concessions on the east side had problems serving enough pizza.....at one point there was over a half hour wait to get one (although I will say it was worth the wait - that was damn good pizza).

2. Bthing

Bthing Member

Jul 25, 2007
    -Hot Chocolate machine broke on the North End.

-Concession staff needs a little training....couldnt find the little button for Nachos. (for the record....largest Nachos I have ever purchased)

3. InterPool

InterPool Member

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our forwards can't score. Need bigger goals for us to attack at...

4. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Concessions on the west side didn't have credit card machines...they had to do the old paper version which took forwever and a day....and caused many folks to not purchase due to long lines.

The stadium's ability to keep light in made the surrounding areas too dark and somewhat dangerous. Need more lighting in the Carnival Real.

There absolutely must be a cross walk put in on the East side across State Street. The cops eventually tried to stop traffic to allow folks to cross...but it was an extremely dangerous situation as people were sprinting across trying to beat cars.

I agree that areas of blank grey concrete need to be either painted or covered with banners.

5. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think over all, the concessions people needed a bit more training. We had the same problem with the pizza, but for us it was a much shorter wait because we got there really early. But the poor lady didn't have a clue how to poor a beer. But I think all that will come with time. The two biggest things I noticed, getting out of the south end was horrible after the game. Stuffing that many people into a tiny stairwell didn't work out well. Especially when some people were trying to get down. If possible getting a better route out of there would be nice. Also the line for that bathroom down there was huge during halftime, but I guess thats to be expected too, however I would have put two doors into that one so when there is a big line, your not pushing people out of the way to get out. But it might be too late for that now. The sections in the south end were mis-labeled. Section 9 said section 10 on it and so forth.

6. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agree concessions were quite slow. I missed the 1st 15 min. of the second half because my 8-yr.-old wanted a pretzel. BTW, by the time we got to the front of the line, all the pretzels were gone. :(

It seemed like having the beer taps right next to the register also led to a lot of spillage all over the concession counter, leading to the ever-popular "beer nachos" and "beer popcorn". Concession employees, feel free to use a rag once in a while to wipe off the counter.

It would be nice to have more than the single crosswalk on State St., as well.

Placement of the ad panels near the sidelines was too close, it affected the sight lines for the fans. May be necessary for TV cameras, I don't know. If not, pull them back a little.

7. FCB Chic

FCB Chic New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already e-mailed Davy, but some help for handicapped people would have been nice. The elevators broke and they asked us to walk around to the south entrance, up the stairs and down to the parking lot. They even turned away a guy in a wheelchair. Ridiculous!! The Event staff needs to learn compassion for the handicapped and be more accomodating.

Also, can we get a garbage can and a porta potty or something at the supporters tailgate seeing as we can't get in the stadium to use the facilities without staying in the stadium?

Also, concessions were very slow...but the nachos were awesome! :)

8. RSLhomem

RSLhomem Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Cottonwood Heights
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The north men's restroom was out of paper towels by halftime. It doesn't seem like the two small dispensers they have in there could ever hold enough for a decent crowd.

9. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like how they took all the caps off of any type of bottled drinks. Was there a problem at RES with the crowd throwing caps onto the field? I also had a wait a while for my pizza and I got to the stadium really early. It probably would have been better if the concession staff had more training prior to the game. But they will get better.

I totally agree with lights out on the east side of the stadium after the game. Oh, and the bushes they had planted right by State Street are probably gone. No one could see them and everyone was stepping on them.

Oh, and my wife really wants them to bring in the people that used to sell the mini-donuts at RES. Those were wonderful and we would buy them every game.

10. Truhlk

Truhlk Member

Jun 21, 2007
    a scoreboard and a clock of some sort on the south side would be nice. everyone sitting behind the north goal has to turn away from the game to check how much time is left.

11. RSL Punk

RSL Punk New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Amen, brother. Even dedicating a small part of the east and west ribbon displays to a game clock would work for the north side.

12. soccerbum23

soccerbum23 Member

May 21, 2006
    Lost in Utah
    Cooling system for the elevators would be nice. Nothing is scarier than getting stuck in the elevator with strangers.

Coke instead of Pepsi

Maybe a few less yellow jackets and better training for the elevator guards

13. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, let's please avoid the temptation to turn this thread into a stadium "wish list".

Sorry to be an asshole about it, but the FO is specifically looking for things that went wrong with the existing amenities & services.

Maybe a separate stadium wish list thread should be started.

14. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this would count but TV wise the teams looked weak sitting on the lunch time benches and the wooden billboards looked awful HDC looks amazing on TV with the electric billboards

15. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Sigh*....I give up....

16. RSL Punk

RSL Punk New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    I know that's frustrating, IBIK, but I think the lack of a game clock WAS a glitch--something that the FO and architects should have thought about, but apparently didn't. It affected my experience of the game, and I'm guessing there are a lot of fans who sat in the north end who have, like me, a sore neck this morning, mostly from turning around from about the 80th minute on to see how much time was left. My suggestion wasn't a "wish list" kind of thing--it shouldn't take too much to dedicate a little bit of the ribbon to a game clock. I'm not asking for a replay screen on the south end; I'm asking that there be something that ALL the fans can see.

Also, in the "glitch" section: better-trained event staff would have been nice. At one point, we had some tween-ager standing in the aisle next to us, talking on his cell phone and waving his towel (apparently to show whomever he was talking to where he was) for the better part of ten minutes. No event staff in sight. And when someone in front of us decided they wanted to keep the ball that had bounced to them, it took a while (and finally, the ball girl pleading with a disinterested event staffer and a Sandy cop) to get the ball back.

17. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would not stress..all the comments seem expected.

I will say this in general though about american soccer fans: EAT and DRINK BEFORE THE DAMN GAME.

its cheaper and you dont miss any action and the stands will stay full..i hate it when beginning second half the stadium is empty although its obviously a sellout.

othewise, the field was lit beautifully on TV and was impressed with the crowd and the vibe you could get even watching on TV.

18. RSLxeneize

RSLxeneize New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I walked up to the top of the east side (row Z?) and then I was able to barely see the sidelines. I know it might not be possible but it would be nice to have the billboards moved back a few feet.

However...

WE HAVE AN AWESOME HOME!

19. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you want RSL to survive, I would greatly disagree with this. A major part of needing their own stadium to control the revenue from the concessions. If people aren't there buying food and drink, it will severely hurts RSL's bottom line.

20. RSLxeneize

RSLxeneize New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry about my previouis comment, it probably fits better on a wish list.

What about again about the tops of the soda bottles being confiscated at the time of purchase. Couldn't I make more damage by throwing a bottle at someone instead of the cap if that was my intention?

Could this be in hopes I spill my pop and then need to purchase another one?

21. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    it's not about people throwing caps, it has to do with the ability of a plastic bottle to fly farther and harder with the cap on. They learned this lesson real quick at RFK when numerous water bottles were hurled and almost hit landon Donovan at midfield after he scored a goal. Now any plastic bottle drinks are served without caps.

22. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point. Its just been one of those things that has annoyed me about MLS since moving to america. In Italy, the only time I would leave the stands would be to go piss. Thinking about it though I never used to go to games drunk-too dangerous for that.

23. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    ...and here I thought dude-behind-the-counter just wanted all the Pepsi points (TM) for himself.:p

24. MikeGossard

MikeGossard Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I get an AMEN!!!????

How anyone can drink Pepsi is beyond me. Thank god they serve beer.

25. dkm1469

dkm1469 Member

May 5, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only observation, no where could I find a chart or map tha showed where the damned entrances were!?!?!? People were wandering aimlessly around like zombies trying to figure out where to go??

I sit in Sec. 14, southwest corner. Great view, but since I practically had a heart attack walking around to the NW entrance, I almost missed it. No entrance in the south or west?? Is there a SE entrance? Can I get to my seats with out walking all the way around the stadium inside?? Are you really planning to cram 15000 people throught 2 entrances???