For the Fans of Juan Roman Riquelme's style ...

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by vipnerd, Apr 4, 2010.

1. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    I am not discovering anything, yet there might be quite a few who aren't aware ... Bordeaux's Yoann Gourcuff will be the succesor of those who like the elegance and spontaniety of the classic playmaker. He is compared to Zidane in France, yet his characteristics are a lot more similar to Roman.

Gourcuff is 24, and had a 3 year spell at AC Milan, where he didn't play that much. After a loan at Bordeaux last year, this season was permanently bought by the french club from economically hurt AC Milan.

Of course, Gourcuff has been a part of all French youth NTs and also of the senior team that will take part of WC'10.

Let the comparisons begin. This is a player that makes me tune to watch Bordeaux play ...

2. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Re: For the Fans of Juan Roman Riquelme style ...

That's a player I've been keeping my eye on ever since he moved to Bordeaux. The similarities with Roman are obvious, though I'm not ready to brand him a Riquelme clone.

His touch on the ball is exquisite and he's a very smooth and elegant player. I think that when he's fully developed, he will be more like Zidane than Roman. While he's a good passer of the ball, and can put the ball where he wants, I don't see him as someone who completely dominates a game yet with his passing...because he doesn't ask for the ball enough in my opinion.

One way or another, he will be star for years to come. I can't understand why Milan would agree to sell him after being the best player in Ligue 1 last year. Economic situations or not, I don't think that's the kind of player you get rid of like that, especially with Kaka leaving the club.