for kids 9-14

Discussion in 'Books' started by msilverstein47, Aug 12, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, since you didn't tell us much about your 9-14 year old, I can really only go of the list your provided. And they're all good....

I like:
    Watership Down -- But this is only one of the greatest stories ever written for any age....
    All of a Kind Family -- Even boys will like this collection of stories about 5 girls
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret: My son loves this book as well. The author has created a new form of literature. Simply astounding. I love his follow up, Wonderstruck, which my son did not care for.
    Daulaire's Greek Myths -- Beyond fabulous, the best illustrated book I've ever read.

My son likes:
    The Strange Case of Origami Yoda
    Maniac Magee
    Percy Jackson and Harry Potter
    A Long Way from Chicago

Books I Really Didn't Like
    American Born Chinese
    Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials
    The Little Prince

Books my son and I thought were the most egregious oversights:
    Adam of the Road: Elizabeth Gray -- Simply fabulous book
    Peak: Roland Smith -- A book about a boy who climbs Mt Everest
    Hank Zipzer : Henry Winkler -- Better for 9 year olds who don't like reading.
    Theodore Boone series

msilverstein47 repped this.
  3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I'd remove A Wrinkle in Time and The Chronicles of Narnia.

And as seems so typical of American-centric lists, they left out such terrific English classics as Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome, and The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. And where is Dumas' Les Trois Mousquetaires or any version of One Thousand and One Nights ???

And I guess some other classics, such as Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang, Twain's Adventures of Tom Sawyer or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Stevenson's Treasure Island, even Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles are now being passed over for the likes of Beverly Cleary's Ramona series. :eek:

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd add back in A Wrinkle in Time, one of the first books I read as a youngster of my own choice and I loved it.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 28, and in elementary school Ramona was the only thing I read in that paragraph.

On another note, has anybody read Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan?

7. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    The list was for 9-14 year olds. My girls read Ramona too, but at a lot younger age than 9 (4th grade). Heck, Ramona herself only turns 10 in the 8th and final book. Not a lot of kids enjoy reading about younger kids, and I think Ramona should be relegated to the 4-8 year old list.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe A Wrinkle In Time and The Chronicles of Narnia can play to see who gets promoted to replace it.

Norsk Troll repped this.