For all you NIMRODS who thought Yallop was such a horrible coach...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you take a look at the standings.

San Jose is probably the best expansion team since Chicago in year 2,

2. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me first

I am totally knackered of this thread.

3. Crzyknot

Crzyknot Member

Sep 30, 2006
    So..... go cheer for San Jose if you like him so much. Am sick of all of this negativity towards OUR team. Am a season ticket holder and i am renewing my ticket. It may piss me off that the team is doing bad but every team has its downs, no matter what league. Ill be cheering la even if were in last place. For those who don't believe in The Galaxy, go and don't come back!

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2006- Galaxy cans a crap coach 2/3rds of the way through a crap season. Bring in new mediocre coach with proven winning ability in MLS. They miss playoffs

2007- Galaxy keeps on a mediocre coach through a crap season. They miss playoffs. Galaxy brings in new terrible coach in off-season.

2008 - Galaxy cans a terrible coach 2/3rds of way through season. Brings in new coach with proven winning ability in MLS.

Listen, go suck off Yallop all you like. They've got 28 points, we've got 26. Do you think I'd rather have Yallop or Arena running my team?

5. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also a STH for the first 7 years. Why so defensive? And I will be rooting them on forever, too.

If you thought I was knocking down the G's, you're learning impaired. But I CAN sense a bunch of knee jerk "fans" who can only blame the coach. Last year was FAR from Yallop's fault. There isn't a coach in the world who could make this mis-matched, front heavy team win consistently. Yallop has quietly built a fine team in San Jose.

I don't think so, Jackass. I leave the perverted sexual acts for others. How is it you had that particular act on mind. A little yearning of your own, maybe?

We've got 26 points? When was the last time you suited up at HDC for the G's.

Arena or Yallop? Tough choice. Arena's done fairly well with them in his short tenure, but his results have been far from spectacular. I'd probably go with Arena, if only brcause he's better suited to bring out the best in the Franklin's, the McDonald's, the Jordan's, etc.

6. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't want to be attacked in the replies, don't insult people in the thread title.

I think Yallop is a better coach when given the right situation. L.A. was definitely the right situation for him. He couldn't deal with the media and all the pressure to win. When Beckham was hurt last year and the non-soccer media was ignoring the Galaxy, we starting winning. I am hesitant about Arean because of his time in NY. The MLS where Arena won two MLS Cups is no the same MLS that exists today. I really hope he can adjust. Given all the power he has and the time to build a good team, I expect big things next year.

7. Crzyknot

Crzyknot Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Exactly, Yallop couldn't deal with any of that. But the what had hurt the team in the last couple of years was (the name we shall not speak off)

Am defensive because the negativity doesn't help the cause. I mean i yell out loud when we give up the ball and stuff, but thats just how much passion i have for the Galaxy. That does not make it right for me to come to BS and trash the team, and clearly lots of people come to do that here. But really do you think yallop build the team? am sure it was a good GM, witch we haven't had in a long time. Am still up in the airs on Arena but so far its looking better.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anything the Galaxy's done over the last three years reflects on the quality of the coaching. TIMMAY! Leiweke's penchant for trading away every half-decent prospect in exchange for a better-known player on the wrong side of 30 killed the team... and the most damning thing about it all is the fact that so few of the trades had anything to do with fitting in Beckham's salary. (The salaries that the trades let us fit under the cap? Jazic, Xavier, Vanney, and Klein.) Looking back, it turns out we've been consistently one of the best-drafting teams in the league over the last decade, and we've been pretty good at importing solid players... but none of those players are still playing for us, having been largely replaced by higher-paid geriatrics.

9. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stop the personal attacks or thread will close and hands will be slapped.

Thanks,

Topper

:D :D :D

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    el ninho is spot on.

i'm sanguine about yallop and his time in LA. he failed, like those before and after him. he's a better coach than he showed in his time here (well except for the tail end of the 2006 season when he had us playing very well).

he would have failed this season too. just like bruce will fail. tim expects us to be dominating the league by this time next season and when we're just barely on the other side of the play-off bubble he'll lose his shit again and fire bruce... actually he might move bruce up to 'general manager' and put sarachan in charge. maybe it'll be the 2010 season, but it's going to happen.

11. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the same time.... whats up with ragbone making it sound like San Jose is some kick ass team? They are barely ahead of us. In fact... for all intents and purposes... they are fairly equal to us and we are equal to them. They dont have the national team players like we do who go missing from time to time. Im not mad at you ragbone, I just think you shouldnt hype SJ too much.

12. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the success of San Jose has more to do with Billy Beane that it does with Frank Yallop. Don't get me wrong. Frank is a good coach. But I don't think he has an eye for talent. Evidence of this was set forth with the team he brought to the Galaxy in 2007.

13. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am by no means hyping them. If you look at recent results and watch both teams on the field, you can see a marked difference. Right now the new Smurfs are playing a couple of notches above the G's

However it does irk me that seemingly 90% of this board's participants were constantly calling for Yallops head last year and blamed this mess we the Galaxy on him. The fault (but unfortunately not the accountability) lies vastly more with Ownership and Upper management. That was and is the point of this thread.

14. socceroo949

socceroo949 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    yes our 2 wins and a tie against you. I'd say we are better.

Seriously check the scoreboard before you nor cal tools come in here.

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose made some very astute midseason acquisitions. Darren Huckerby is the obvious one, but what I find truly mind-boggling is how they managed to get both Scott Sealy and Arturo Alvarez at what appears to be minimal cost. And Kelly Gray, also picked up midseason, starts pretty regularly - and again, he was OUR player when the preseason started. Perhaps paid a bit more than he was worth to us, but with his versatility, still far better value for money than at least half a dozen of the players we didn't drop!

Sealy in particular is very much a Moneyball signing. Shockingly underpaid, previously playing for a club not only loaded at forward but continuing to sign more forwards...

16. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the course of the last 9 matches:
    - SJ has lost only once and the Quakes are undefeated in their last 8 (4-1-4, 16 pts).
    - LA has not won once (0-4-5, 5pts).
    Among those results is SJ's 3-2 win over LA, the last time the two teams met.

Right now, SJ is the better team.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's plenty of fault to go around, and at least some of it rests at FY's door too. Some of those player movements clearly had Frank's fingerprints on them. I don't think he is a "bad coach." I do think he was the "wrong coach" for this team and at that time. And it did very much look like the situation over-whelmed him. We make a joke of "I'm knackered" - but he really was not able to cope with the pressure/spotlight/circus here. That's not to say he can't do a good job in a smaller market with lower expectations and less pressure to win immediately.

18. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i honestly think what it came down to was frank saw us for what we are - an expansion team while the powers that be demanded we become real madrid, chelsea or man united overnight. that was never going to happen.

we need an owner willing to sacrifice the play-offs as part of a long term plan, not the result of short-term thinking.

19. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod,please close this Jane Fonda's thread.

Thanks

Nimrod:rolleyes:

20. Natsoccer

Natsoccer Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Valencia, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know its our team, but venting really helps my anger towards our incompetence. I'm also a season ticket holder, but I'm not renewing my ticket, because it's rediculous how we're treated. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how watching us lose to the colorado crapids a bonus game, and I would rather get a discounted bacon wrapped hot dog each game than keep these events the FO have for us. I don't really care how bad we're doing, so I'll keep cheering our players on, but I hate how little the FO care about us and how little whoever makes the schedules care about every club in the league. I don't particularly believe in The gals, but I'll probably be back next season anyway using evry wishing well penny for just a couple more points.

21. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll take a little different tact on the thread title...
    i know "nimrod" is used as an insult... and the insult was mentioned earlier.. but the name is found in the bible in the book of Genesis and he is listed as a "mighty one of the earth" or a "mighty hunter before the Lord" .... so maybe it's not TOO insulting to be called a nimrod. OK enough uplifting educational material. carry on with the usual stuff...

22. This Magic Moment

This Magic Moment New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Yallop's not a bad coach. He's just got very small balls.

There are coaches and players who thrive in small teams. Yallop is one of them. From day 1, you could tell Yallop was uncomfortable in LA, and as soon as he found out Beckham was coming, he was sweating like a pig in heat.

Yallop is the kind of coach who could make Derby County competitive in the EPL, but would leave Man U out of Europe.

23. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the kind of thing that the thread-starter is objecting to. There were a ton of people around here calling Yallop an idiot last year. When his job was "outsourced" LD said that it was too bad Yallop wasn't given a fair opportunity. Much as I hat the fact that the 'Quakes are looking so good right now, I think it's pretty fair to say that, when given a little bit of stability, Yallop has demonstrated that he can coach.

BTW... whoever it was who says that Billy Bean gets the credit for picking the quakes talent... can you please explain why that makes ANY sense at all?

24. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, genius, just because I live and work up here, doesn't mean I am a Smurf(2) fan. If you'd been here longer than a week you'd recognize me as a life long (Galaxy's life - I'm considerably older) Galaxy fan. Season seat holder the 1st 7 seasons. Attended every home game season 1 and a road game in every other city.

If you had READ my posts you'd get the meaning.

25. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is inconsistent with the subject title. It's actually really simple. Yallop is a decent to good coach. LA was not the place for him. He couldn't control the circus, didn't want to control the circus, and bolted at the first chance he got. Which is fine. Building a team in SJ appears to suit him well, he's done a good job, and props to him for making it work there. SO. There isn't any point in hating on him for being the wrong coach for the team, but there's also no point in saying he's a great coach and we never should have gotten rid of him. Neither is really true.

If you want the real culprit from last year, it's Lalas, Leweinke, and Yallop (combined, but all of them) for not screaming BLOODING FREAKIN' MURDER over the absolutely asinine schedule. Instead, everyone said OK, we'll go parade around the league, play exhibitions, push Beckham back before he's ready and play USMNT players RIGHT after they play internationals, and we got the really very predictable disaster you would expect. It was great for the league, absolute crap for the Galaxy, and by the time the team got it together for a late run, it was too late.