for all england fans

Discussion in 'England' started by bigshow, Oct 25, 2002.

1. bigshow

bigshow Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Memphis,Tn
    What do you think this starting lineup would/could do in qualifiers?

---------------Robinson------------------------

Mills-----Ferdinand------Campbell-------Bridge

Bowyer-----Beckham-----Gerrard-------Joe Cole

-------------Smith--------Owen---------------

2. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    The goalkeeping position is a real problem. Seaman can't continue but let's face it, Robinson is hardly ready to step into his shoes. He has done very well on occasion at club level thus far but that is a long step from performing consistently in competitive international football. The time has certainly come to give either Robinson or James the shirt if only to give them a chance to lose it, but the jury is very much out on whether they are up to the job. Furthermore, Robinson is inclined towards having something of a weight problem (which can translate to agility issues) and he is not best keeper in the universe when it comes to either dominating the box or dealing with crosses.

Mills is, like it or not, not as good as Gary Neville who is a). horribly under-rated, b). versatile, and c). most importantly, makes Beckham a better player in front of him by giving him the confidence to simply play his own game. Bridge is solid enough, but he is not in any way a threat to Ashley Cole (for all Cole still has to learn about positional play). Cole is good now, and on his way to becoming very good indeed.

Beckham belongs on the right side. For the reasons why, see his performances to date. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Lee Bowyer seems popular with no one. As I understand it he wasn't in the last squad because the other players didn't want him there. However, on merit there are valid arguments that he should be in the team. Not, however, on the left wing.

Joe Cole is not ready quite yet, but he certainly merits a place on the bench. The issue you have not addressed is left wing, and a natural left sided player would be the ideal to fill in there. Those are few and far between.

Lastly, and I hate to say it, but Owen is probably more effective with Heskey alongside him and Smith coming off the bench. With Smith, Vassel, and Owen, the attack against Macedonia was one-dimensional.

3. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    That's assuming England play better with 10 men, as you've included Smith :D.

I'd have Dunn in for Joe Cole, as Dunn can do a reasonable job on the left, and I've not been too convinced about Joe. He has lots of tricks and flicks, but he seems to lack the final product in the form of a killer pass or shot. Another option would be an Ashley Cole/Wayne Bridge combo.

I'd either swap round Beckham and Bowyer, or maybe even have Thompson instead of Lee on the right, as he's more natural in that position.

And I'd have Mills ahead of Neville, as he is better defensively, and can do the offside trap much better.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound Red Card

Jun 15, 2000
    Hey I like your selection although I wouldnt go with Smith up front - I would probably persist with Heskey for now. Bowyer is a must for the next qualifier and maybe Mcmanaman could be given one more chance to sort out the left side