For $15 mil a year, Red Bull could sign Ronaldinho

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Apr 19, 2006.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a company with a marketing budget of around $450 million, $15 million a year isn't that much. Pele took the sport to the next level with the Cosmos. Could Ronaldinho do the same?

http://worldsoccer.about.com/b/a/091162.htm

From 2006 to 2008, Ronaldinho will make $6.25 million a year in salary. If Red Bull is willing to pay him $15 mil a year, there is a 'chance' that he might sign when his contract run out in 2008. That means he has to go on a Bosman like Ballack is doing.

Would a pay increase from $6.25 mil to $15 mil interest him? I don't know.

Does he want to live in New York City? Again, I don't know.

Would he be okay not playing in UEFA's CL every year?

Could he be tempted with the idea that he could take American soccer to the next level?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
    p.s. In my opinion, $15 mil a year might not be enough because Chelsea will likely top that offer if Ronaldinho become a free transfer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4861300.stm

2. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
  3. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    no.

hes taking the WORLD of soccer to the next level.

******** American soccer

4. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it was a krayzie idea to start with. Ronaldinho would rather play in Europe for $6.25 mil than in America for $15 mil a year.

Though, if he does become a Bosman like Ballack, I expect Chelsea to give him $15 mil a year in a heartbeat. If Chelsea can't afford $15 mil a year, Red Bull can steal their thunder.

5. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Did you know that many great players can get $15 mil a year in Qatar ???

You know the fact that many people believe the only way to save MLS is getting all the best world class players proves that you don't know how to sell you league to american audience...

It's like people still didn't learn from the Pelé fiasco...

It's very sad...
    It would be much better to spend money to build a strong youth academy league à la française to produce worldclass american players instead of overpaying foreign ex superstars who don't give a damn about MLS...

6. FlanInTheFace

FlanInTheFace New Member

Aug 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    dude man, hes in his prime right now, hes not gonna go to the mls league when he could win the La Liga and Champions League every year, maybe if hes 36 years old and they pay him $15 mil a year, then you got a case their. but now? its not gonna happen

7. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHA. They are getting pay around $5 a year at most. Look it up. The highest paid soccer player in THE WORLD is making around $10 mil A YEAR in the Premiership.

In a few months time, Ballack will be the highest paid soccer player in the world and will make 120,000 pounds a week. That is about $10.7 mil a year.

If Red Bull is willing to offer $15 million a year, Ronaldinho will be the highest paid soccer player in the world and making $4.3 million more than the next highest paid player.

If you don't believe me, go to the Business Forum and under 'THE SALARIES THREAD.' I have collected many salary figures there.

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why I said there is only a 'chance' that he will play for the Red Bull even if he is making $5 million more a year in New York.

He will likely turn down the $15 mil a year offer and take $6.25-10 mil offer and stay in Barcelona.

9. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I'd almost perfer another 'Beckham to MLS' thread at this point .

10. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    You seem to not understand that in Qatar (and many other gulf countries), oil princes have enough money to pay a player $15 mil a year ...
    We are talking about billionaires...

Money is not a problem for them... Some of those guys are richer than the entire Red bull company...

And I think it's hard to believe that Red Bull company would invest so much money for a player, knowing that they will probably never cover this investement...

11. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rt=? laffing my ass off

12. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    you know whats really excellent??

cake.
    [​IMG]

13. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh huh, they are rich but they are not DUMB. Red Bull is different because each year the company spent $450 million on advertisement alone.

If those billionaires really want to, they could have bought an European team. Also, the day of retiring stars players playing in the Quatar league is almost over. Name me some notable star players that went over there this year or last year? There were some like Gabriel Batistuta and Frank Leboeuf that went but that was 3 years ago. Today, none. Qatar's population is 600,000. The attendance for the 10-teams league is poor (around 3000). Why put out $15 mil a year for a player when you will likely only recoup $1 mil?

All I am point out is that Red Bull is interested in Ronaldo and that they could sign Ronaldinho, the best player in the world, for a cool $15 mil a year when he is out of a contract in June 2008. Chances are Ronaldinho will stay in Europe though.

p.s. Just found some info
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3125419.stm

The $10 million give-away was a one time thing. We haven't heard of any famous players heading over there and for good reason. It is not sustainable paying retiring players $4 million a year and getting back almost nothing. The country only has a population of 600,000. The business model was messed up.

14. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Teams that can afford it (along with the league itself) should work on a way to keep big-name players like Donovan, Dempsey, and (potentially) Adu here. No, you can't keep them all at home. But every year work towards keeping the guys developed here in the US. I mean every time Freddy Adu walks into the bathroom, some newspaper prints "Much Adu About Crapping". We're lucky Donovan wanted to stay here for way less money. I would hate to see a highly marketable guy like Dempsey go to Europe.