Foote Field Turf Type

Discussion in 'FC Edmonton' started by Prosoccercdn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is the turf at Foote Field a newer version of 80's Astroturf? I heard that new artificial turf was put in around 2003 but am not sure if thats true. If so, its a shame they didn't use artificial Field Turf instead, like Empire Field in Vancouver is using, since it seems much better.

2. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what the turf type is exactly but if Wiki is to be trusted it was replaced 4 years ago and is Puregrass. From the wiki info..."In 2007, the field's older Astroturf surface was replaced with a newer type of of hybrid artificial surface made by Astroturf LLC, called PureGrass."

I think other than the hardness of the pitch, the lines and the bright yellow end zones were a visual problem for the team. Not sure how the actual fans felt about it but watching on the live stream was painful.

3. ahuber

ahuber New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Edmonton
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's a hard carpet type of turf. There are still a few players recovering from injuries that are blaming the turf for the lengthily recovery. I'm sure it's one of the big reasons why the team hasn't committed to a field next year is the turf (along side scheduling conflicts with the university).