Footballers during Ramadan

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by gaijin, Oct 18, 2004.

1. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    What is the situation with football players during the month of Ramadan? :confused:

I would guess that no matches are played in the majority of Muslim countries during this time.

But what about the number of Muslim players who play abroad. Say in Holland, Germany, England etc.

Are they allowed to take in liquids during the game?

Would the Qur'an suggest that they are exemped from this because it is part of their jobs, hence it is neccessary for their well-being. Or are they not exempt from the rules of fasting?

I remember a Turkish coach last year saying that it was tough for his players to train during Ramadan and was left a little light-weight with a european game coming up.

BTW: I didn't know where to stick this, because it is about Religion more than anything else, but I would have guessed someone on the middle-east boards would know.

2. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    The Saudi league mostly has evening fixtures, so the season isn't affected. As for Muslim players in western leagues... I believe quite a few players here in England manage to play while fasting without any problems. I read something to that affect a while ago.

3. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    The games begin in Ramadan at 10:30 PM, while before it was around 8 PM.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    thanks. :)

Although alot of games kick off around night-time. Training must be very difficult. :confused:

5. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Of course, it would be very bad if they played around 7 or 8.