Footballers and intellectual pursuits

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Kebbie Gazauzkas, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Is it a myth that most footballers tend to be less intellectually inclined than the Average Joe?
    To what extent is there a correlation between the so-called "football intelligence" (not sure how it is defined) and conventional intelligence?

2. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    in uk or abroad? if world cups medals were given out for stupidity, you would never have heard of brazil.

3. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interviewer: David, would you describe yourself as a volatile player?

Beckham: Yes. I can play right wing, wingback and central midfield.

Another Beckham Quote: I want to Christen Brooklyn, I just don't know into what religion yet.

Seriously, a lot of footballers make intelligent interviewers, and become writers, pundits and managers and coaches later on in life. You can't become these if you are thick.

4. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    When you consider how many languages many footballers have to learn in their playing career, I would say they are not stupid. Of course there are many exceptions, but of the major sports I'd say footballers are marginally smarter. Now NBA and NFL players, those are some dumbtards! I don't understand how they get through college ball unless they take underwater basketweaving every class. Don't even get me started on NASCAR.

As for Footballers vs. Average Joe, it's hard to say, and it depends on what country you're in. Some countries promote ignorance more than others.

5. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    english footballers struggle to do interviews in english. wrse than this, so do their managers and club owners/dirctors/chairpeople.

6. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can be intellectually handicapped, and still have an excellent football brain, that's two different things. A good example for this would be Lothar Matthäus. Being smart can help, but it's no precondition for football intelligence, which to a considerable degree is about instinct.

7. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Y87ZTyFok"]YouTube - Steve McClaren Goes Dutch[/ame]

8. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Thanks for the responses, so it would be false to equate football IQ and standard IQ! I haven't had any interactions with professional footballers myself, but I tend to agree that being a highly successful sportsman does not have to preclude one from pursuing academic enrichment.