football pubs in Bruges?

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Minnman, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greetings,

I'll be in Belgium for a week and a half on a beer tour, arriving February 28. Which means I'll be there on the March 1 FIFA match date. I'll be in Bruges that day (actually, my tour starts there the next day; I'm arriving a few days early to do a bit of exploring on my own). Are there any football-friendly pubs in the area where I might be able to watch some of these matches?

Many thanks for any information you can pass along my way.

Doug

2. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Sorry mate, not familiar in Brugge. I guess Belgianguy can help you.

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, tomo, I'll give him a few days to recover from his New Year's celabrations.

By the way, I'll be in Antwerp for a couple of days (one night) in late February. Any must-sees that I won't find in the guidebooks?

Doug

4. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    Let me think... Apart from walking in the old town centre it can be nice for example to walk up to the left bank (linkeroever) of the city. You can take the walking tunnel under the river at Sint-Jansvliet (search on your map) to get there. It gives the greatest view over Antwerp.
    Also a nice visit is 'Roma', situated on the 'Turnhoutsebaan'. It's an old cinema that has been closed for decades but two years ago it was renovated. Now it has all kinds of concerts and stuff.

For bars; I can give you some adresses, but I guess the best way to find something is just to walk around in the city and go for something that looks nice to you. If you plan to make it late, there are some night cafés of which the two most famous ones are Pallieter (visited by lots of actors) and Kassa 4 (often visited by famous musicians and a very sociable atmosphere, also during daytime). They are respectively on 'het Mechelsplein' and at the 'Ossenmarkt'.

For monuments and squares, especially visit 'Conscienceplein' with its beautiful Carolus Borromeuschurch.

'Het Zuid' is the most trendy neighbourhood, situated around 'het museumplein'.

As for other hidden treasures, nothing really pops up that touristic guides won't have in their descriptions. If you plan to visit football stadiums you can go look at 'het kiel', stadium of GBA, which was the Olympic stadium of the 1920 games and 'the Bosuil', the old stadium Antwerp still plays in and which was once the biggest stadium in Belgium. These stadiums might not be easy to find, as they lie somewhat outside the city centre.

As you only plan to stay for one day I won't be overloading you with information. I guess you should stick to the tourist stuff to get the best impression. If there's anything else in particular you want to know about, just ask. ;)

5. Hedgy

Hedgy Member

May 30, 2004
    I hope you are still listening Doug. There's a bar that shows games on Sky. It's Celtic Ireland and it's listed on SoccerBars.com

6. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I watched Liverpool-MU at Molly Bloom's in Antwerp in 97.
    That's where LFC Supporters Club Belgian Branch meet.
    (they did back then anyway) so if you support LFC, you might
    check it out.

If you get a chance, try to catch a match at Jan Breydel Stadion
    in Brugge. I was able to get ticket to FCB-Anderlecht two years ago.
    Really great experience.

Have fun there. Brugge is a great place.

7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll actually be in Bruges for three days and, as I'm meeting up with a beer tour that starts in the city, I do have a vast amount of info on the city's bars, though not necessarily those that might be showing the 1 March friendlies. I'll probably stop into the Celtic Ireland pub on the 1st and see what's being televised.

8. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    When you're back in the US please tell what were your impressions about our beer (and rank your favourites if possible) .Thanks in advance ;)

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do, but it'll be a long list, I'm sure. Belgian beers are widely distributed in the US, by the way, though not very many true lambics and geuzes find their way here. Mostly Flanders red and brown, trappist and abbey, and farmhouse/saison ales.

Ah, one week from now I'll be at the Kulminator in Antwerp....

10. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/pubs/

1200 pubs and counting. Add your favorite and help us build the world's most complete listing of soccer friendly pubs and restaurants.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It depends on what you prefer, there's a few cafés fairly near to the Jan Breydel stadium, but still a long way from Brugge center. I'm guessing if you don't intend to attend a Club game, you'd be better off in Brugge center.

If you love Belgian beer, I can warmly recommend De Kuppe. They have over a hundred different kinds of Belgian beer there.

Then you'll find several other fun cafés/bars/pubs on the Eiermarkt, which is literally a stone's throw from De Kuppe.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Another terrorist attack in Belgie today (RIP 3 dead).

Is it true many young Belgians are afraid to go to nightclubs and restaurants these days because of the terrorism threat?? Or is that just a rumor I'm hearing

13. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    That is utter bullshit.

I haven't heard of any report of less restaurant or nightclub visits after the Brussels attacks of last year.

There was a lot less tourism the first months after the attacks in Brussels, happily that picked up back to normal levels this year.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.