Football Manager, Part II

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by TheImposter, Jun 3, 2005.

1. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Manager

Hi, everybody. My name is The Imposter.... and I'm a Football Manager 2005 addict.

It is now 11 hours and 47 minutes since I last played FM2005. My only goal is to make it through today without clicking that icon on my desktop.

Please... don't become like me. It ain't worth it.

(Whew! That's Step 1, right?)

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I turned my game off on Tuesday night and it hasn't come back on. I've been able to get to work on time this week, my wife isn't bugging me about computer time...life is good again. :)

3. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks, that's as good as a call to my sponsor! I draw strength from you. You're an inspiration to us all.:D

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They've split the Thread.

5. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They want us to relapse

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I applied to the Germany Job after winning La Liga for the 2nd straight time and taking the CHamps Lge and the Copa Del Ray w/ Barca. Germany wish to hire me now. Will I have to quit Barca? Actually, I'm thinking of Creating an Alternative Universe Save File. or Adding another manager to take over.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if you're asking if you can manage a national side and club team at the same time, then the answer is yes. you don't have to quit barca.

8. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I figured and it made my game admittedly slower.

9. Jules1

Jules1 New Member

May 11, 2005
    Moskwa
    Being a national manager is no fun I think.. You always spend more time on the club cause it is more fun than once every 2 months a game with the NT..

10. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. but you don't have to worry about directly ruining a players' club career.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm in the same boat as DFR... having won the league 2 years running and topping it off w/ a trebble... except I'm managing ManU. I was offered both the German job and another country that I cant remember right now. I took the german job and I've played twice... both against crap teams in qualifying for the Euro's.... I cant remember who i beat first, but the second team, Armenia I think, got unbelievably lucky. We had 25 shots... 11 on goal but could not score. Klose, Hanke and Kuranyi missed sitter after sitter... also, Bierofka can dribble 8 people at once, do a back flip over the ref, but he has the finishing of Forlan (the ManU days) it makes no sense that he can embarass an entire team and then miss an empty net.

Interesting bug... Keegan got fired and then was re-hired (by the same team that fired him) 18 days later... LOL!

12. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Hello, and I've finally taken the plunge into playing WWSM; I started out unemployed to make it more of a challenge, and I wound up as manager of Castillo in Spanish Second Division B. I've got my work cut out for me. :D They're currently listed as 2nd in the table, and are called a semi-pro team.

*gulp*

I'm new here, so any tips as I get started on my virtual career would be welcomed...

13. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Just another player's opinion:

Free transfers and loans are your first step up at such a small club. You'll be able to sign several quality players (mosquera, vanden borre, adu etc) without the content of their current clubs. Wage bill might be an issue though, so you'll have to work with most of the current playing staff, which isn't so bad if you just sort out a good formation.

Training is VERY IMPORTANT. I find that the training scheme deployed is equally if not more important than the ability of the coachin staff using it.

Get tactics and training down and you'll be La Liga champ in no time :)

14. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I thought no one posted to the Football Manager thread for two weeks. Obviously I just realized on was closed and a new one spawned. The mods are trying to keep threads under 500 posts...*grumble*.

It's March of 2010 in my game. I have Liverpool 6 points behind Chelsea with a game in hand for the league. I think I have 6 games left there. The door is open but I've got to be perfect over those last games if I want any chance to win the league. I'm more focused on not giving up second place because Tottenham, Man U and Arsenal are all there nipping at my heels.

I'm playing in the semi-final of the FA Cup against arch rival Everton. I left for work at the half, leading 2-0. Looking good to make it into the final.

I also just completed a great comeback win over Inter in the Champions League quarter final. In the first leg, at New Anfield, we tied 1-1. I thought I was toast giving up that away goal. We traveled to Milan and I put on a defensive tactic. All of a sudden I was up 3-1 at the half with goals from Parker, Cisse and Donovan. Agg was now 4-2 in my favor and they would need to beat me because I took the away goal lead. In the second half we both got another goal so the final score was 4-2 and I won 5-3 on agg. A great win away from home. In the semi's I have to travel to my old home, Barca. The team I created, won the Champions League and La Liga with, is basically still intact. Ronaldinho is still terrorizing opponents. I'm not looking forward to my reception in Barca.

If I can actually pull off the trebble I will be a hero in Liverpool. However, I'm going to be more realistic and hope for the two cups. Chelsea is in the driver's seat in the league so I need a miracle loss or two ties to really take over from them. I'm also headed to White Hart Lane against the number 4 team in the league. If I lose that game I'm in trouble.

The end of the season is always exciting. I'll hopefully have an update for you all this weekend.

15. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    I've started with United (again), after reaching 2006 with Barcelona and having little or nothing to do. I had assembled a fantastic and quite young squad.

Valdes
    Belleti - Puyol - Kompany - Dede
    Mascherano
    Cris Ronaldo Schweinsteiger
    Kallstrom
    Fernando Torres - Robinho

Won everything easy. This was aided by many free transfers (Torres, Dede, Ronaldo) and the sale of Ronaldinho (what, they offered 42m :( ), Xavi and Eto'o to Chelsea, Deco to Bayern.

Ok, now at United I've only signed a couple of players, mainly youth. But I'm top of the league with a killer tactic that's bringing wonders out of my wingers (Giggs and Ronaldo, naturally). 4-5 goals a game easy! But I do concede - I beat Arsenal 5-4, Liverpool 4-3 and Chelsea 5-3!!! So I'm thinking I'll get a crazy Centreback to partner Rio.

16. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wow, i didnt even know bigsoccer had a board for this game.

Well im Rewinder, i usually post in the arsenal/chels/manu boards or world rivalry/beautiful game.

Ive been playing since CM3, and im addicted to management games, often play hours in a single sitting. Ive liked football manager 2005 better than the other games, but ive found it somewhat disappointing how long it takes for the computer to catch on to tactics you are using. I can usually run for about 1.5-2 seasons before having to switch. Im currently on a mission to take QPR to champions league glory, and i have to say - we are getting close. Next season we should be in the championship and if i hold onto my current squad premiership is looking good the season after that.

Do you guys have any recommend signings or jewels that you always go for in your games?

Just some moments ive had recently in pictures(i used the pregame editor to test sheva in my system for fun in the one picture). Chelsea are a nice team to manage if you want to play the transfer market primarily, sell drogba, guddy kezman, fereirra and even joe cole as soon as you take over. Play with 1 striker and let forsell be the backup striker. If you want to play primarily on tactics then i a League 2 or Serie C team is quite fun to use.

Chelsea 15-0

Pisa 12-2

Team of the week(chelsa + sheva game)

League Table (keep dreaming blues, wont happen in real life)

Milan

17. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    my strongest team looks like this (i'm AC Milan btw) 2008.

----------------Ochoa---------------------
    ----------------Ayala----------------------
    Lahm---Kompany--Nesta/Chivu----Jankulovski
    Miccoli----Pirlo----Mascherano-----Montolivio
    ------------Fernando Torres-----------------

Subs :

Dida
    Ahmed Yah..whatever
    Sheva
    Marco Maestri
    Luis Figo
    Luiz Hornburg
    Mattia Leone

I sold Robiho because he wouldn't get play time because Torres in the game is pretty flawless(he scored 46 goals in his debut season out of 48 appearances!!!!!!! he plays the lone man better than sheva)

I sold Dede to Madrid for 15mill and bought Lahm as his replacement(and now they're after him too, ******** them!!)

18. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    young studs:
    Adu(AM)/Ochoa(GK)/Mascherano(DM)/Montolivio(LW)/Torres(best striker in the game(in terms of goals scored).

other great players:
    But get Jankulovski who's absolutely brilliant in the game and can play a number of positions(RB/LB/ML/MR/ALW/ARW/AM)

also Pirlo played in my formation with the instruction for him(arrow) to play behind the frontman, with the AM mentality he is absolutely flawless, 10's 9's regularly rated with the occasional 8, 7.

he's also a brilliant playmaker so be sure to pick him for penalties,corners and free kicks, to get the best out of him play him in a free role.

19. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    your formation?

20. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My milan formation - usually have pancaro on the left instead of kaladze and have cafu on the right
    [​IMG]

And my chelsea formation - usually after selling lampard too.
    [​IMG]

Mad_theory, does pirlo often play well for you? I cant get him to average higher than 7 a season, tried him in every dm, and mid position and still getting nothing from him. Esposito is the only guy i go for every single game, he is outperformed every AM ive tried including kaka and dinho. Torres is expensive if you dont pick him up in the first season, so i usually go with Tevez or Delgado, edixon perea is also a surprisingly good buy and for a youth striker i usually pickup enzo scorza - amazing after a few seasons. Only playing with 1 striker allows me to spend alot more on midfield and defence. Having 2 excellent strikers is usually perfect and when the odd week or 2 comes around when both are out, i push esposito into FC or bring in a reserve/youth striker depending on the game. I usually rotate my midfield/AM/FC constantly between 8 players keeping them all in relatively good health all season. Defense is where i struggle alot more, i cant pick up CBs or RBs of equal quality to the ones i have, and theyre usually forced into most games of the season and end up tiring and needing long breaks. Van den borre is a nice signing because after 2 seasons i can play him anywhere in my back line, allowing me to rotate a bit.

21. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    the thing with pirlo is funny. he plays in dmid position but like in reality his attributes are that of a attacking midfielder.

i play him in the middle with the diagonal arrow pointing just behind the frontman. on his instructions goto preset and pick attacking mid. then on team instructions choose playmaker, and pick him for all set pieces(he's briiliant at all) and he'll average 9's.

ps - make sure he plays in a free role.

22. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    rewinder, do you have the FM scout?

23. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yep, i have fmscout and that other program that can use fmscout to track player improvements

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's another thread devoted to diamonds in the rough, but the one that really sticks out as the best buy has to be lebohang mokoena. he plays for orlando pirates in south africa when the game begins and you can pick him up for less than 500k. it doesn't take long for him to become world class. in fact, take a few minutes and look through all of south africa. especially for lower division teams, there's some winners there and most of their values are skewed WAY low.

25. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Chelsea won the Premier League for a second year in a row. I lost that Tottenham match and Chelsea won three in a row to take the title. I'm now focused on the FA Cup final, vs. Chelsea and the Champions League. I lost 2-1 in the first, away leg, to Barca. The away goal will serve me well I think. I had them 1-0 at the half but Saviola came alite in the second half and created/scored 2 great goals. Since he is one of my Argentinian strikers I can't get too mad at his form going into the world cup. Being back in Barca was bitter sweet. The second leg is coming up and I had better win it to make the final. Liverpool fans demand it! If I don't get some hardware out of this or the FA Cup, I'm going to have to look at some changes.