Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: Football Manager

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a 5.01 patch? Or does the 5.02 patch encompass all of the chanages so far?

Also - i'm going to be receiving WWSM soon for Christmas. should i first install the game, and then the 5.02 patch? or the other way around?

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SI Games patches typically include everything up to the current patch. So if there is a 5.01 then 5.02 will include it. Install the game and then install the patch. The other way around will not work.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What are LLama rules?

4. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA

thanks mate, i'll hopefully soon be playing the game for the first time and finding out what so many people are crazy about, haha.

5. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has anybody seen this, and what did you do about it?

I'm about to get sacked, I fear -- just got the dreaded "Despite continued supporter unrest...." vote of confidence. I'm in December 2010, managing Nottingham Forest. Started the game with MK Dons, took the job at Forest in the middle of the 2005-6 when they were in the lower third of the championship/div 1. Finished that season, signed a couple of guys on free transfers over the summer, and ran away with the league the next year. First year in the prem managed 12th, I think, and then finished 6th 2 years in a row, making the EURO cup. First year in Europe won my group, but went out in the first elimination round. Doing fine so far the second year. Was in both domestic cup finals last year, but couldn't win either. Currently sitting 12th, admittedly underperforming, but have been improving over the last 10 matches or so.

Here's what's weird. When I took the job the board was very concerned about the size of the wage bill, and wanted me to do something about it. Two years ago they suddenly increased the wage bill by quite a lot, at least doubling it, I think, in the middle of the season. Understandable, except for the timing, as we were playing at a higher level and bringing in more revenue. I went that season consistently about 200K under the wage budget, which was at 850K per week. Got excited over the summer when they increased my transfer budget exponentially, but then found that they had suddenly reduced the wage budget to 700K, and I couldn't attract anyone to the club at the wages I was authorized to offer. Then, right at the end of the January window they suddenly, and without telling me (I just happened to notice when I offered somebody a new contract) took the wage budget to 1.5 mil per week! I thought, hey great, I can do some real business over the summer, and I did sign one great player right at the end of that transfer window. As the season wound down I set about making some good pickups on Bosmans, and got all excited about the buys I could make during the summer. But when they announced the transfer budget, which was again extravagant, they also cut the wage budget nearly in half again, so I am now 200K per week above and they want it reduced.

Is this just a board that's not as ambitious as I am? Are they toying with me? Is it a bug? Anybody had anything similar happen as they climb the ladder toward the upper levels? I'll certainly get a top half finish, with a good chance at Europe again (If I can keep the job), but definitely won't challenge the leaders with the wages available to me.

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Check out this thread on SI's forums for FM05.

LLaMa Rules

I think you need to register to read it. Check it out for a different sort of FM game. It keeps the game challenging when you are sick of winning the league, FA cup, CL, and league cup every year with your roster of all stars.

Read the link above. You can sign players from Brazil if you've found them using scouts while following the "Scout Where You Can Tour" rule. You'll get it after you read the link.

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It depends on who you ask. A bunch of us over on SI's forums have tried to convince them that it is a bug but they argue that it is just "normal" board behavior as they react to the changing fortunes of your club. :rolleyes: I think it is seriously buggy. The wage budget can force you to let a player worth tens of millions go for cheap or free just because they want an extra 10 grand a week even though you might have 100 million in the bank. On the other hand, the board sometimes wildly increase your wage budget (often once it looks like you've become a stable member of a higher division following promotion) even if there is no way you can afford it given other factors (such as tiny stadium and weak attendence).

I just pretend that my board is fully made up of raving lunatics and try to control my wages myself by never expanding them to the highest allowed and making sure I am ready to drop down to a lower level if necessary. Unfortunately, this has forced me to let rising stars go for too cheap more than a couple of times.

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it sounds like you have done a lot of good for the club, i would give them an ulitimatum.

9. deathtrix19

deathtrix19 New Member

Sep 6, 2004

Meh, I ignore the wage budget. They always say they want it sorted out but they can't touch me, especially as I've just won my third treble in three seasons.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ty.

i think my next game will be as a LLM.

11. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I've got a situation like that. Robin Van Persie was my best player last year, until he tore his ACL in early April. Now he's going to be ready to come back in January, with his contract to run out in June. Currently makes 62K per week, and the board will allow me to offer him 38K to re-sign. So I either hope the limit goes up before he leaves on a free, or try to get somebody to take him off my hands at a discount during the January window. Of course, he might never be the same again, though if he goes to another club I'm sure he'll soon win player of the year.

I can understand fluctuations in the wage bill with changeing fortunes, but this seems to have no rhyme or reason, and it's when we seem most flush that they suddenly jack the bill down. And the changes are huge, like doubling and halving it, which in the prem involves a lot of cash.

12. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Seems to me to keep stable they should have a stable approach to the situations. If they give you wage budget X in the summer, it shouldn't change during the course of the unless something dramatic happens like bankrupcty. Is something like this happening? Seems to me that the board could warn ya that the player has to go at some point.

I'm wondering if they're trying to add a change in direction by a board like at Barca where they were saddled with debt. Back when they were in the hunt for Ronaldinho there was speculation about whether or not they could secure the financing for him. They also cleared out some players (Saviola, Kluivert, et al.) to reduce the wage bill. But I don't see how that means dumping a player on a free to comply. At minium should should be able to wait until the summer.

13. Pires'sBestMate

Pires'sBestMate New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Glasgow

Rustu​

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole​

Ljungberg Jenas Vieira Reyes​

Henry v.Persie/Bergkamp​

My Arsenal team. Lost league to Man U on last day of season. Henry scored 5 against Maccabi Haifa. Sold Pires to Barcelona for 8m. Released Mathieu Flamini, Jens Lehmann and Pascal Cygan.

14. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

How does Bergkamp play with his wheelchair? Is he tough to bring down? ((Still better than Pires though) :D

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

okay new around these parts.

Bought FM off Ebay - games ships from Thailand. I start with Standard Liege, go a month and it won't save the file. Do I just need the patch or is their something wrong. Then I read the disk "Works well only on Thai Windows"....I'm on a Mac.

I emailed the seller to see if its just a defective disk or is this a real scam.

16. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

You my friend bought an illegal copy. ANYTHING you buy off Ebay from Asia is FAKE. You got scammed but I hope you get your money back. You are probably better off ordering it from a US site. That's what I did. Cost $45 plus comes with the ability to save.

Thai Windows...that's classic. There is no difference between Thai Windows and US Windows except the language. Of course their Windows is probably a bootleg too.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

I bought CM4 off Ebay from a guy from Thailand. Says "For Sale In Thailand Only" but worked perfect for me. Can't really help you with your situation, though.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to give him 24 hours to reply, then I'm going to hit Ebay and neg rep his ass back to Asia.

19. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't tak it out on that guy.
    The problem with your game has nothing to do with whether or not it is bootleg. It is probably a bug and is probably resolved with the patch.

head on over to sigames.com and then the forums and they will help you out a lot quicker and better than we can.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Ebay is the pawn shop thiefs used to call utopia back in the days before the Internet.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Downloaded the patch, if it works - he's safe. If not, I'll seek getting my money back.

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Are you serious? So no companies release games in Thailand? I understand a lot of the jerseys are knockoffs, but are all the games on Ebay fake?

23. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

have fun.

you going to start out with f-word?

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amazingly...it appears to have worked. I need to run a longer game...but it was saving yesterday.