Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Manager

No *^(&^(^(&^(&*^ way.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I won MLS Cup and the Open Cup with the Colorado Rapids.

The game crashed.

I qualified the USA for the 2006 World Cup.

The game crashed.

I won the German Regionaliga with Union Berlin.

The game crashed.

I got Newport Co promoted to the Conference National division.

The game crashed.

I won the Dutch Premier, Dutch Cup and made Semi-Finals of Champions League with PSV.

The game crashed.

I won the Dutch Second Division with Dordrecht.

The game crashed.

I just finished runner-up in MLS Cup and US Open Cup with the Rapids.

The game crashed.

I have yet to play a second season of a saved game in FM before the bloody thing crashes.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, really? That sucks. Have you posted something to the sigames website? I'm sure there will be some patches coming out soon.

5. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, you can bet there will be patches. There always are. None yet, however.

I did post the bug there and sent them my save game files. The problem doesn't seem to be exclusive to me, which is nice.

My games crash seemingly exactly one year from the game's original start date. If I start an MLS game, the game with crash Feb 2005. If I play in England, it will crash come June 2005.

Unfortunately, crashing is only part of FM's problems, especially with MLS. Not that one could hardly expect SI to be completely accurate in its extensive research and database, but the degree to which MLS is unrealistic and unplayable is quite disapointing.

But there will be patches.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Always patches.

I heard from Sega USA that Worldwide Soccer Manager 2005 should be in Gamestop next week.

7. rivers

rivers New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Canada

I have a question. I am getting my brother in Holland to get the game for me, he got it but it is all Dutch on the back of the game, he hasn't opened it yet.

So, when installing the game will it have an English option or just Dutch? Anyone know?

Thanks

8. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain

The game (the old version anyway) can be played in a ton of languages -- you choose when you install it. Living overseas, I bought the Spanish version and the CD automatically recognized my computer was in English and asked if that was the language I wanted.

9. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stopped by my local Gamestop and they said they will have it around the 21st. The patch for WWSM will be out by then and the one for FM is already out

10. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have the new version, which I got from a U.S. retailer, but which seems to be the UK-published one. You can set it to a stunning variety of languages. The trick is finding the right button to do it if you can't read the language it boots up in. I can't remember if it automatically recognized my system language, though I think it defaulted to dollars, farenheit temps and the like, so it probably did.

11. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL

SI Games has the first patch for FM05 up and running. I think this will fix the crashing problem. I just got my copy in the mail today so have to make sure to d/l it before I start playing and ripping Nick S. throughout the match.

12. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just read back through this thread, and I'm amazed at all the reports of crashes. I have FM2005 and have been playing it for around a month, with no crashes at all. I'm in December of 2009 with Nottingham Forest. My board has given me $30 mil for transfers, but it's useless because they won't give me a big enough wage budget to sign good players. I was allowed $850k per week last year, and signed Donovan on a free, then bought VanPersie, finished 6th in the premiership and am in the UEFA (EURO) cup. This year I suck -- lower half of the table, scoring about 1 goal a game in the league, nobody playing that badly, just can't get over the hump. However, I'm undefeated in Europe, and in the semis of the League Cup, just can't cut it in the league. This is all in a game I started with MK Dons and a $2,000 transfer budget (yes, that's 2 thousand dollars).

Anybody got any good tactics or motivational strategies when good players aren't scoring goals?

13. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Got the game today, started with Bradford Park Avenue in the Conference North Division. Work my way up!

14. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

I started with Grays Athletic in Conference South, which I'm finding fairly challenging. Mid-table into December without the horses for promotion, I think.

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i didnt know there was even a problem with crashes. mine has never crashed.

i got tired and disappointed with myself for using good teams at 1st like ajax, so i just started a new game.

i am go ahead eagles of the 2nd dutch division. compared to some of those english conference teams i guess they are good, but they are one of the lowest teams i have managed before and im proud of myself for that.

with no transfers and no downloaded tactics i finished 4th in the league. i was supposed to invest in new players and start over, so the board and fans were delighted. i could have had 3rd, but i was already guaranteed to be in a certain playoff group so i rested my players the last couple of games.

in the playoffs i lost my 1st two games to the 3rd place team (heracles i think) and a 1st division team (nac breda) so i just went on holiday as i knew i would not get promoted.

my transfer budget stayed at 35k and i spent it all on an aging venezuelan dm. his stats are very good. in the off season i picked up a young dutch #10 who could challenge for a starting spot; a young and a veteran rb as one starter was 36 and i got rid of him and the backup sucked; got one good lb who i think could take the starting spot; i finally picked up some rm's as my old ones were terrible, averaging a 4-5 per game; and two good forwards.

no one special, but i am confident i will reach the playoffs once again and hopefully get the promotion. i am expected to finish mid table.

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You might want to keep a seperate copy of any saved game you really want to continue playing. I was fine with the release version (no killer bugs just tons of annoying ones) but after I installed the patch I couldn't get past the preseason without a crash to the desktop. Sent SI my saved game and haven't heard back so I was forced to reinstall the release version (after doing some registry cleanout since the uninstaller leaves some junk behind). I'm just hoping the next patch (or five) sorts this out. Now I remember why I didn't get CM4 until the fifth patch. :mad:

18. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75

I didn't play the game yet, so I downloaded WWSM 5.02, so I don't have a problem with saved game compatibility. I'm wondering how this will impact those who use MLS as their league.

A bonus; on the actual CD, it has the most recent version of NHL Eastside Hockey Manager (1.07), and you can play the demo for 6 months of an actual season. Then you need to either decide it's not for you, or pay $40 through SoftWrap.

19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You'd probably like Haarlem. I'm playing as them in that division and they are a serious challenge. Tiny stadium, below average players who are already over the wage budget when you start, and poor coaching staff (with 5 physios on the budget??). The only advantage to Haarlem is that the board and fans understand that the team is horrible so they just expect you to rebuild (and cut the budget).

I'm using LLama rules for the first time so it has been interesting. I've brought in a squad full of loans (elderly never beens and no-hope kids with a potential star or two for good measure) that are helping. I'm trying to get one of the period slots into the playoffs. Just beat the Go Ahead Eagles (they took the first slot easily) so all is well.

20. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thanks for the advice.
    i wanna take go ahead up and get them into europe before i leave the club.
    it sucks that in your game go ahead took 1st, makes me feel like i didnt do much :(

21. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They took the first period slot for the playoffs but have slowly fallen down the overall league table since then (mainly due to unhappy players wanting to move to bigger clubs and a few strange losses such as my victory over them) so if you finished overall high enough to be in the playoffs, I'd say you did well.

I'm just a little envious of them and the other higher ranked clubs since they seem to have a few players who can score. I got stuck with a slow, injury prone striker who is good when he gets the ball (except pks which he always has saved) but is too slow and weak to get it very often and a kid who gets the ball a lot but has maybe one shot on target every couple of games. I've been competitive since I found one good striker for free (but I had to sell my highest value player to afford his wage) and another kid as depth but scoring goals is a huge problem whenever the free transfer guy is out.

Good luck getting the Eagles up. I'm actually glad I probably won't make it in the first season since my one encounter with a top club in the cup only showed how hapless my guys are.

Do you use LLama rules? I think they add a lot to the fun of taking a lower level club since you can't just go out and scout brazil to stock your club which can make the dutch leages too easy.

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LLama rules means you cant get brazilians?

i didnt know that.

if so, then i have played by them so far. i found out NO ONE would sign for me, so i didnt even send out scouts.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ever since i missed promotion with preston on freakin' penalties, i haven't gone back to a lower level game... but now i think im ready to lead st pauli or osnabruck to prominence

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

st pauli is germany right?

what division?

25. afgrijselijkheid