Football Manager, Part I

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by The Potter, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Football Manager

GAME UPDATE, 2006 World Cup was just completed:
    World Cup 2006
    Winner: Mali, yes Mali, 2-1 over Italy in the finals.
    3rd Place: Holland 2-1 over France
    Other QF teams: Colombia, USA, Turkey, England
    Freddy Adu made the US squad and came off the bench in their first group match to score on his senior debut against Jamaica (no idea why they were drawn into the same group), but the Reggae Boyz actually won the game 3-2. Jamaica finished atop the group, US second.
    Germany and Brazil sacked their head coaches afterwards.

Chelsea
    Won the Premiership for second straight year with a 5-0 over Bolton on the last day.
    Eight days later lost in finals of Champions League to Juventus (last year beat Juventus to win the title) 0-1
    Lost in finals of FA Cup three days later to Arsenal 0-1.
    Very disappointing finish but just sold Lampard to Barcelona, but signed Ronaldinho and Carlos Tevez, as well as Chivu and Kompany. Freddy Adu is coming over after the MLS season finishes. Transfer budget for the new season is $148 million. My goal is to get Chelsea to #1 in the club rankings and then look for a new job. I estimate it will take two or three more years at the current pace.

DC United
    Won MLS Cup in 2004 and 2005. Sit atop the standings in 2006, but have garnered only 2 points in five matches while Adu and Eddie Pope have been on World Cup duty. Scored only 2 goals during that stretch, too. Just signed Clint Mathis (he was released by Hannover) because I've had a rash of injuries and the goals have been drying up of late. Fans expressed concern and he basically told them to shove it. Should be great fining him from time to time. Have not won the US Open Cup ever and will focus on that this year.

Was offered the job at Northampton...but they are being relegated to League 2 and I don't have League 2 running. Anyone know what happens when that's the case? Can I still manage? This offer came right before the season changes over and the relegated teams "disappear."

Itching for a job abroad---waiting to hear back from Port Vale and Sheffield Wednesday in League 1.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like subbuteo's 2006 WC speaks to the data patch Cannon was talking about. Mali winning the World Cup!?!? No way, not next year.

3. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mali has several pretty good players, who, when playing as a team and also to the best of their abilities probably could go quite far....if they could qualify. They certainly didn't dominate in their wins. Several times they were outshot etc... but they simply converted their chances. Italy didn't even pull one back until the 89th minute.

But I agree....not bloody likely they'll win next year!

4. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My DC United manager has just been offered the job at Port Vale! A step down from the side I had assembled for United but I'm going to take it, with only $260k to work with and a wage bill to slash.

Time to 'create' a new manager for the Black and Red.

Klinsmann, Earnie Stewart, Jeff Agoos and Manuel Delgado Meco (some assistant coach with Kansas City who has some pretty good stats btw) have been touted as replacements. I better swoop soon. ;)

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well he's not an Unknown Cameroon Keeper. He's the best U-21 keeper in the World. Man Utd are pursuing him in real life.

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ohh, well he was unknown to me. :)

7. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Wow... I've been in the prem with Not. Forrest for two years and my transfer budget is still 4.1 million euros!

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I stay with one game until I'm fired or enter the Hall of Fame. With one more minor trophy I'll be in the Bulgarian Hall of Fame. This'll be the third one I enter along with USA and Ukraine. Next I think I'll try the Czech Republic. I like a lot of Banik Ostrava's players, so perhaps I'll go with them.

9. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, I've screamed at the impossibilty of a few "unknown keepers". 'Who is this Sebastian Frey, and why is he keeping me from the Scudetto!' Is one I remember fondly.

10. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.

My New England Revolution lost 2-0 to DC United in my most recent match.

This was United's first win in nineteen matches this season.

The win ended United's 26-match winless streak.

My team got eight yellow cards in the match (the Revs had the fewest bookings going into the match). I had three players sent off (the first three red cards my teams has received all season).

I HATE F***ING NOEL KENNY!!!

So far, my Revs are still doing fairly well in my second season. I'm 10W-5D-4L on the season, 2nd in the conference, four points behind the Fire. I was just starting to feel good about my side after drawing 1-1 against defending MLS champs Chicago, a team I haven't beaten in nine tries so far (0W-2D-7L, -16GD). My losses this season have been to United, the Fire (twice), and Colorado (in high-altitude Invesco).

I picked up Joseph Ngwenya in the off-season, and he started off on fire, getting eight goals in the first thirteen games. But he's now gone scoreless in the last six. Fortunately, my other off-season forward signing Brian Ching has picked up the scoring slack after a poor start, with four goals in our last six games after only scoring one in his first thirteen. Daryl Powell may be 33, but he's got six goals and totally bosses the midfield. Captain Jay Heaps and Steve Ralston (playing center mid) are both in the top five in MLS in avg rating.

I use standard 4-4-2, wingers make runs all the way to byline to cross to my big forwards, and center-mid Powell has a run back to d-mid with lower Mentality so that he trails in the attack, allowing him to get back on defense without over-commiting.

11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

In my game as UCD I played a 4-2-3-1 when I played Finn Harps away. Harps are in first, it was 7 points, but now its 4 because i beat them 2-1. I scored first in the 29th and Harps equalised a minute later. UCD scored again in the 60s and held on for the win.

Has anyone else noticed that when your team does goal kicks and free kicks from within their own half they give the ball away? This happens all the time to me. If the computer does a goal kick they give the ball away to me. Anyways, I had my mentality on defense and creativity on none and had the counter attack on. With the counterattack on all the goal kicks and free kicks where played to my lone striker who had loads of chances, its was odd.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, 2006/07 season has ended. I lost in the Champions League Final to Juve on penalities, 3-0. I didn't make a single penalty! It was such crap. I played a strong game at Old Trafford, but couldn't get it done. Damn!!!
    I finished third in the league behind Betis and A. Madrid, at least I'll have another crack at the Champions League next year. I kept the Spanish Cup title for the third year in a row. Winning the Spanish Cup put me into the Spanish Hall of Fame in 9th place.

I've already sold Marquez to Sevilla for $8 million. I figured Kompany could take his place. I'm also trying to sign a Lazio defender to partner with Puyol in the center of defense. I think my attack is deadly. Towards the end of the year I started the following.

--------------Saviola----------------
    --Ronaldinho---Deco------Eto--------

Deco, Xavi and Rosicky were interchangable depending on health and can go in for any of the other starters. I scored over 75 goals in the league but let in too many and lost the big games. Ronaldinho was named the best player in the Champions League with Saviola in second. Good season and I think I should have won the Champs League. Bummer.

13. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Port Vale have started of with three straight victories in League 1. The system I brought over from DC United has worked wonderfully so far. Also, I added Dwight Yorke to my coaching staff.

For DC United, Clint Mathis scored twice on his debut as United beat MetroStars. Bob Bradley was fired immediately after the match. I added him to my coaching staff :D

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

good work.

so you are "managing" two teams at once?

how many leagues are you running?

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can have as many managers as you want in one game, when you configure the game and add yourself, just add another. So you control multiple managers and thus, multiple teams. I've never done it because I tend to focus on one team and get bored with the second, although I've never crossed league lines when playing two managers.

16. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

gotcha, thats what I figured

17. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I began managing two teams: Chelsea and DC United but am up to three now.
    My DC United manager just got the job at Port Vale and so I added new manager to the game and took over DC United again.

Two teams isn't bad in different leagues, but three is making the days go by much slower.

18. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've finally invested more time in my WWSM game. Wouldn't you know it, that after I sign Patrice Evra and Anthony Vanden Borre in the January Window. Madrid pull off the unthinkable. They sign Wesley Sneijder, Dejan Stankovic and Steven Gerrard for 95.5 Million GBP. Los putos blancos indeed. Moving their total money spent in one season to 112 Million Pounds. They also sent Micheal Owen to Inter in a part exchange. However, they are still languished in 4th place. As I am undefeated in 18 matches. And I have just gone up 2-0 after the First Leg of the Spanish Cup beating Madrid (who else) at Camp Nou. And just my luck, but in the Copa Del Rey Round before this one Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Larsson are injured playing at home vs. Cadiz!

19. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

This game is far too realistic :(

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This morning before work I brought another piece of hardware to Barca, the Spanish Super Cup is mine again, for the third year running. I also beat up on some Romanian team to make it back to the group stage of the Champions League. I'm now in the 2007/08 season.

I received my yearly tv money and it went from $28M to $70M. I couldn't believe it. I'm starting the season with a profit of $50M or so. I think my bank balance is up to $140M. Not too shabby.

21. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I also signed an Argentinan/Italian center back, can't remember his name, from Lazio for $20M. He should help plug up some of the holes from last season.

Saviola is starting the season on a tear. In 5 games he has 6 goals.

22. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I have a technical question I haven't been able to find an answer to anywhere, sorry if this has already been anwered, but why is it that even though I've saved a tactic to my "tactics" folder, I can't use it?

23. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I romped Real Madrid 6-3 in Madrid.

Yes!

24. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it the correct file format? I think .tct. Not positive. Is it a tactic from a previous or future version of the game? Ie, are you playing CM4 trying to use a FM05 tactic?

25. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I started playing with Marseille in the french first division. I promptly signed a bunch of English players for the squad. After a month, four of them all started having trouble settling in the area? Is this common in the game for English players to have problems settling? Anyone had a similar experience?