Football Lingo

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by a_guy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. a_guy

a_guy New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Texas
    I simply wish to start a thread where people from many different countries and cultures discuss their footballing lingo. Since I watch mostly Mexican Soccer and their announcers, I am fascinated by, say, an English announcer claiming "He put it right in the bach of the onion basket!". Please share any interesting Lingo from your Country. Also, if anyone can tell me what a "sombrerito" is called in English, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

2. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    When watching english football you must always remember to call the referee a "wanker". Its a law we have over here, when people don't comply with the law we tar and feather them before removing their eyebrows with sticky tape.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Putting the ball through someone's legs is only called a Nutmeg in the USA and England. Everywhere else it's a "tunnel".

4. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    in germany a diver is called a "swallow" like the bird...
    the ball can be reffered to as a "pill"
    plus there are smart sentences like "the round has to go into the cornered" or "after the game is before the game" that you usually get to here at least once during a football game on tv... :D (both said by sepp herberger the coach of the 54 team, i think)

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know, there is no word in English that refers to popping the ball over a defender's head.

Called panna too. Also in the US I think more people refer to it as a meg than nutmeg.

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    that's a sombrero (the hat) but said in a playful way. In Portugal we call that a "Chapeu" also means hat.

Corner: Canto
    Shot: Remate
    deak: Finta

7. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    In Brazil we say:
    pedalada: stepover
    peixinho: diving header
    cai-cai: diver
    golpe de vista: eye save
    primeiro pau: front post, near post
    segundo pau: back post, far post
    um-dois: give-and-go
    "foi lá onde a coruja faz o ninho" (it went up there where the owl makes its nest): (the ball) went into the upper V
    "enfiou no meio das canetas" (stuck it between his pens): passed the ball through the defender's legs
    "estufou o filó" (inflated the tulle): scored a goal
    "do meio da rua" (out of the street): long-range shot

and many others I do not recall right now

8. Yeah 'megs' is the term that usually gets used instead of nutmeg. It's best done when your just going to do it to someone or have just done it. Makes the player feel worse.
    'Hollywood save' - for an over the top save by the keeper.

Do all other countries except for in Britain say 'Man On' when theres an opposition player coming behind you? No jokes please.

Ron Atkinson would be the man to talk to on this subject.

9. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    In Brasil we say "Olha o ladrão" (look out for the thief)

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    When you cross a ball into the box and there are alot of players there it's called "putting it in the mixer" in england

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    In jamaica I grew up knowing it as a "salad" (its sland it doesn't pertain to veggies).

But its only a salad if you get the ball back.

So just passing the ball thriugh someones legs is not given much respect unless you go pass the man and control the ball before anyone else touches it (thats how you beat your man).

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    We call it a "pile" back home.

Same as a "salad" you hve to get the ball first to get any kind of respect for the accomplishment.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    In JA yes.

14. DominicanStrikeForce

May 1, 2005
    Canada
    sometimes when the girls team I coach is playing a little to defensive, I tell them "we gotta put the puck in the net". I'm in Canada incase you haven't guessed.

15. a_guy

a_guy New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Texas
    In Spanish (I'm not sure if this only pertains to just Mexican Spanish), we say "te llegan", which if directly translated means "they arrive at you"

16. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Leđa - literaly "back", watch your back

17. John Boy

John Boy New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Staffordshire
    A screamer - a hard shot from distance e.g. 'he hit a screamer into the top corner'.

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banana shot - a curler
    tres dedos (3 toes) - outside foot shot

19. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also, in Italy, a bicycle kick is not called a "bicicleta" (Italian word for Bicycle). It is called a "roveciata", which means to "throw up".

20. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Here we call it "škarice" - scissors

21. Jet$on

Jet$on Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Old Blighty
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    worm-burner - when u smash th ball along th ground

22. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    In most of south america that will be a "chilena", (fem. original from Chile?)
    "Gol olimpico" will be a goal from a corner kick, without anyone touching the ball.
    "vuelta olimpica" is when a team wins the championship.

23. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    A "grass cutter"- When a shot flies along the ground without rising up.

A "balloon" - when a shot is put over the bar when it was easier to score. e.g "baggio stepped up and ballooned his penalty over the bar"

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    se lo comió - I really don't know how to translate this into English. The closest I can put it to a literal+figurtive translation is "he ate it" (like when someone lands on their face), but it means you really fvckec up on something wasy. missing an open goal, tripping on the ball, etc.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    wtf? u speak for the world? Its called a "breed" as in the act of breeding, balls though legs, get it? or "sex" in Trinidad and called a "salad" in Jamaica (dont ask me why, i have no idea) OK, i just read Rommul, so i guess i confirm what he says...

for playing the ball over someone's head we call it a hat, cap or "furs" which is a type of hat... lol.

when we play the ball to one side of a player and run around the other and get the ball, we call that a belt, as in around someone's waist.

We say "Man On" in trinidad too...

the trick Gaucho and CRonaldo and others do that some call a double contact or flip flap is called a "Spanner" in Trinidad and while it seems like a big deal in some places, every half decent player in trinidad can do one so its not a suprise or very effective unless u are playing against a "shithound" somebody who sucks @ss... :D