Football League Trophy, new format

Discussion in 'Cups & Competitions' started by SJJ, Jun 26, 2016.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that's the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. How is it decided which 16 of the 20 Premier League clubs will have a youth/reserve club enter?

3. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was going to assume this, then read the article and it confirms it from what I can gather. It looks to be based on the EPPP status. So not all clubs in the Prem will have EPPP Status 1, some will only have status 2.

Overall it sounds like a good idea. As I've mentioned in the MLS group, players playing u21, don't always feel tested by playing against other u21 teams. So this will give those not going on loan a shot at playing first team level. Might even give them a chance to get a loan or permanent move.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Its the level that is given to the teams academy.

You have to meet certain criteria to get to each level, staffing, facilities etc. And it allows you to play in the higher leagues in the academy structure and I think a preference on signing youth players maybe? Not 100% sure on that last bit.

EvanJ repped this.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 SJJ, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Format seems to be going forward. (Note that it lists the "invited" clubs; not that each club has confirmed): http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx

When I see statements like...

"The new format is intended to rejuvenate this competition and also assist the development of the very best young players in English football."

-or-

"The overriding aim of the Elite Player Performance Plan across the Premier League and English Football League is to produce more and better home grown players capable of performing at first team and international levels."

...remind me that they neglected to mention: "...and to avoid screw-ups against Iceland again."

Carlosamigos repped this.
  8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Roundly condemned as a terrible idea over here, and purely about the premier league putting some cash in - which is odd as the premier league clubs don't seem keen on entering.

Part of the problem is that some dates apparently clash with international dates, so the U21 players might not even be available.

9. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I hear thats why Man City have declined, and some of the bigger names are expected to as well. I'm not sure where that leaves things?

In terms of development it is a good thing, but as I discussed with a friend, he wasn't keen on his team playing youngsters, or what sort of selection teams would have, or who would turn up to watch these games.

Bad organisation if they hadn't fulled discussed with all the clubs though.

11. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EFL Trophy: Teams and draw revealed
    Posted: Wed 27 Jul 2016
    The EFL today confirmed the 16 Category 1 Academy sides that will join Sky Bet League One and Sky Bet League Two clubs in the 2016/17 EFL Trophy.
    http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-teams-and-draw-revealed-3209611.aspx

EFL Trophy: Group Stage draw
    The draw for the Group Stage of the 2016/17 EFL Trophy has been made.
    Each group consists of four teams, including a Category 1 Academy team. Each club will play each other once, either home or away.
    http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-group-stage-draw-3209367.aspx

EFL Trophy: Group Stage fixtures
    http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-group-stage-fixtures-3209807.aspx

By Mark Worrall
    English Football League Trophy could give Chelsea youngsters a boost
    http://www.espnfc.us/club/chelsea/3...could-give-chelsea-youngsters-boost-they-need

12. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EFL Trophy: Q&A with EFL Chief Executive Shaun Harvey
    Posted: Thu 28 Jul 2016
    http://www.efl.com/news/article/201...efl-chief-executive-shaun-harvey-3211707.aspx

some descriptions that League teams must field at least six players that regularly play matches, while the invited sides must have six players under 21. Also some discussion on why some Premier teams passed

So even I have made a joke or two about this competition, but in the end, this falls into "crack open some eggs to make your omelet." It may not be perfect, but will be re-evaluated afterwards.

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The competition is dying on its arse, with nobody really seeing to care until until gets to the semi-final stage. Teams regularly field reserve sides in the early rounds.

Ideas of premier leagues sides proving some sort of glamour to it have been laughed away. Chinese TV is not going to be splashing millions for the TV rights to show Reading U21s v Yeovil at 3 am.

14. rhys evans

rhys evans New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    im looking forward to it anyway because i have got two new grounds to tick off afc wimbledon and newport with swans under 23s and it is a chance to go to wembley although i dont think the swans under 23s will make it that far who knows anything can happen

15. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 SJJ, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    EvanJ repped this.
  16. Joey Vimsante The Poet

Aberdeen FC
    Scotland
    Nov 4, 2023
    I do not support a British league. I want 3 strong leagues in Great Britain.
    But I think the Football League Trophy should invite foreign guest teams. For instance all Scottish Premier who have not qualified for Europe, plus selected teams from the Welsh Cymru Premier League. Plus selected teams from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Plus lower division sides from the Netherlands, and Belgium, France.

Scotland has allowed Northern Irish and Welsh sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup. So UEFA would probably be OK.
    I would love a handful of Scottish v English games each season in the smaller trophies, esch year.
    Imagine games like Motherwell v Tranmere Rovers, and Wrexham v Dundee. It would be fun.