Football Investors from the US

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by davegtt, Oct 16, 2003.

1. davegtt

davegtt New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, England
    Hi Guys, Im from the UK and support Oldham Athletic in the Nationwide League Div 2. We are currently in administration and close to folding. We are currently going through a potentiol take over from a consortium of 7 ppl. 2 of the main ppl are from the US but originally born in the UK, they are very rich aparently but want to remain nameless and they still look into buying us out. they have already handed over £200k to see us through October.

Does anybody from the US have any ideas who these guys maybe, I know there are a few thousand guys who are interested to find out who these ppl are and do they have the clubs best interests at heart.

they have been known to make their fortune from real estate...

any suggestions would be nice.

thanks guys

Dave

2. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    Tres bizarre

This is le very weird question to ask non?

My le opinion is that they have le best interest at heart for le club, or else they would not buy this club who nobody knows le existed.

Support le campaign 2003: le Hamatachi for moderator!
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/show...&threadid=77349

3. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    There have got to be tons of people in America who are millionaires through real estate. The fact that they're originally from the UK narrows it down, but I don't know how you'd go about finding out. They might be famous enough that they'd be known in their communities, but that's not necessarily the case. There are plenty of Americans rich enough to sink a couple hundred thou into a sports team who aren't at all famous.

4. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so many rich people in the USA that it would be almost impossible to figure out who it would be.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davegtt,

Tell your investors that if they buy your team they can get a gen-u-wine American striker to go with it. No transfer fees! Cool haircut - should fit in well in the UK. Colorful personality! Will be looking for a job in November. What a deal!

6. davegtt

davegtt New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, England
    lol.. thanks for the replys guys but I was thinking maybe these investors could be known for buying/developing teams in the US, Im not a follower of american football (sorry :) ) but thought they mite be fairly well know on the other side of the pond, if they was unknown ppl I wouldnt have thought them to be asking to remain nameless.

thanks anyways guys, (good message board here :) )

7. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I doubt it's anyone who owns any major American sports teams. I can't think of a single Brit who owns any major American sports team.

8. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the only investor in English soccer in the USA is Malcolm Glazer who is the owner of the Tampa Bay Bucs in the NFL. He owns part of Manchester United but I don't know if they have rules preventing people from owning multiple clubs in England.

9. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    What about Phil Anschutz? The guy owns like half the MLS.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is another...

Milan Mandaric is the owner of Portsmouth. At one time, he owned the San Jose Earthquakes in the NASL.

11. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    The Charleston Battery's owner is originally from Britain. He made his money in computers. He might not be a MAJOR league owner but he does have money.