Football in the UK and Ireland season 2020/21

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jun 14, 2020.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    another big announcement; Chelsea just signed Canadian wunderkind Jessica Fleming. Question now; where is she going to start?

blissett repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Midfielder?

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea all ready got Kirby, Ji, Leupolz, Reiten, Ingles, Cuthbert & Spence at mid

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Fleming was a very good college player, to be sure, but has been underwhelming for the Canadian national team, IMO. Not sure how she'll be as a pro: She's got skills and works hard, but I have some skepticism about her impact at the next level. She is definitely a midfielder.

5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably developed her as replacement for those players. Usually they are on 1 year contracts most of the time. And probably expensive at their age and experience.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's not like the rest of the Chelsea players are that old & that club is also 1st in line to get Pernelle Harder(who's contract eith WOL going to expire by next year).

Fleming could of started for most of the so called pro clubs out there, ot use her marquee name to build the new Canadian League. but guess Chelsea & Lyon are among the very few that want to pay a decent salary to woso players

don't know what threat to put it under, but here's all of the sumer transfers/deals for the top 5 leagues in Europe
    Women's transfer window summer 2020 – all deals from Europe's top five leagues | Football | The Guardian
    Claudia Pina's switch is interesting; she's the star striker for the Spanish youth NT(who won a hefty amount of tournies) but she got a whole 64 minutes of playing time for the entire season at Barcelona, so now she'll play for Seville who could surely need her way more.

7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    There’s a new Canadian women’s soccer league?

8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Shes very young. Perhaps Barcelona didn't have that confidence in her to play more minutes. Or just too many good players. Just like in Lyon. Even star players sometimes want to get out.

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    according to this threat is, I'm the only one that had doubts about it, lol
    Canadian Women's Premier League | BigSoccer Forum

Klingo3034 repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Funny enough Youth U-15 Man City girls came to Florida to play in the International Club tournament and got destroyed. I watched it and they could barely get out of their own half field against an American club.

12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    City youth teams are not often good. They tend to buy any good english player with potential when they reach 18 or when they are full internationals.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    so can anybody confirm that Sam Mewis signed with Man City today?

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Read about Rose Lavelle as well joining the team. Could change the rankings, Man City could go to the top.

16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wonder why? Coaching? Or just not enough training?

17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    It's arguable that Lavelle doesn't offer more than Weir already does, especially when it comes to club football. She would of course still be a good option to have. Mewis could be a potentially impactful signing though.

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Who does ManCity have in its midfield now--Weir, Scott and Stanway? Who am I missing? Mewis would definitely help that team, and so would Lavell. Plus the club is adding Bronze! You've got three powerhouse clubs at the top of the WSL--each loaded with talent.

19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Walsh is there at the base. I don't think she's the best defensively, but she's as close to a tempo setter as you get in the women's game and has a great passing range. Mewis certainly would help, but I just don't feel the same way with Lavelle. Weir is an absolutely elite player, and Lavelle's not exactly lit things up in club football. If she signs for City and can stay healthy/fit the whole time, maybe she can show a level similar to what we saw at the World Cup. I'm not entirely sure though.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There is a limit in range of distance a woman youth player can go to train. I think it is 90 minutes. I guess it is easier to get good young player around London or Birmingham rather than Manchester... although Man Utd always had a good youth academy even when they had no senior team.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think Lavelle is an Elite player while Weir is only excellent. I mean she has done the business at the world cup. If I have both players competing for the number 10 spot, it is an easy choice imo although Stanway might say something about it.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WOW Lavelle got voted in the top 10 by Guardian’s top 100 poll, and rightly so. She definitely gave the USWNT icing on the cake & finally silenced the critics who previously said the US squad was nothing but flash & dash, by finally giving us a playmaker in Kim Little’s mode. Sometimes it’s hard to jell with your club when you keep getting pulled out for NT duty, Alex Morgan didn’t even score a single goal for the Pride last year!
    Well since MC only plays with one solid striker, you could add Beckie & Hemp as well as newbie Chloe Kelly(she was the WSL’s 4th leading scorer at Everton last season playing fwd but most her goals were more from medium range). Plus Bronze always says she wants to play mid & now they MC got both starting ENG NT left backs in Greenwood & Stokes, one of them could be moved to the right side(giving Bronze a chance to move up to mid).
    Overall MC is very deep, but sometimes rotating too much could loose the chemistry. So look for some to loose significant playing time/got the feeling Beckie’s & Scott’s career br on the chopping block(but will remain on their respective NT’s)

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [
    maybe they weren’t used to the sunshine? lol(English people told me over & over that they don’t get to see the sun for months over there)

but what I was referring to is if you look at the Bundesliga in comparison is that while they don’t pay good salaries, they still develop their players better. That’s cuz most clubs have an A & B team with the B’ers playing a full schedule in division 2. If the A squad starts getting an rash of injuries, than they can get supplemented by the B squad. In the meantime playing D2 isn’t bad since 3 of their teams were able to make into the quarter finals of the German Cup(one into the semis)
    Whereas the WSL seems only interested about Buying all the worlds best players, it’s amazing the amount of talented newcomers the Bundesliga keeps producing as shown when they went all the way into the Euro u19 finals without bothering to bring their best(Oberdorf, Buhl, Lattwein, Lohmann at age 18, were all ready moved to the senior squad )

Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Vitamin D is their weakness. But seriously the way you and other posters stated, its like they just want to get the developed players and not waste time with developing players, even though I've seen some players who were in English academies and able to go to senior team in their clubs. Maybe not as pronounced compared to other leagues.

25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Lavelle is an elite international player; she’s definitely not an elite club football player at this point. Weir is an elite FA WSL player in my opinion. It’s far from an easy decision, and I’d lean towards Weir. Agree to disagree.

Note: That being said, I do think you can play them together in the same midfield at times.