Football in the UK and Ireland season 2020/21

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, Nobbs wasn't in the squad either, and I'm guessing Montemurro wanted to give some rest to Williamson. Even if he had started Williamson as a CB or holding midfielder, one of the young players was still going to start.

sbahnhof repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    sbahnhof and Ethan Frank repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Should be own goal.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    She's obviously not been perfect, but some Man United Women fans, maybe even many, continue to underrate Groenen's defensive capabilities in my opinion. Along those lines, I've rewatched most of Man United Women vs Liverpool Women, and for people who think Ladd controlled the midfield and protected the backline better than Groenen in the first half, I think they're letting last season where Groenen was mostly a CAM at least somewhat influence their viewpoint.

Don't know why Ladd was the one of the two trying more penetrative passes vs Liverpool Women though. Groenen linked up and possessed the ball well, but in all likelihood, she will need to be more penetrative vs Tottenham Women like she has been in the league so far.

Edit: Assuming the FA Player replay of Man United Women vs Liverpool Women looks exactly like the live feed did, it is so refreshing not having cuts away from live action.

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] Scotland have their first WNT games since March, later this month. Club friendlies have been going on, but the Scottish League players will be less prepared than usual for internationals:

"Kerr’s team won 5-0 against Albania [in 2019] and will look to see if they can do it again at Tynecastle on October 23.
    "Scotland will then play Finland four days later in Helsinki."
    Shelley Kerr announces Scotland’s Euro qualifier squad as Kirsty Hanson receives second call-up - (Newschain.uk)

[​IMG] Ireland have a long away trip to Ukraine:
    "A victory in Kiev would guarantee them a play-off place, with Ireland having never qualified for a major tournament before."
    No changes as Vera Pauw confirms extended squad for Ukraine showdown - (RTÉ.ie)

[​IMG]
    Ireland FW Katie McCabe and DF Aine O'Gorman in March
    (img: RTÉ Sport, cc-by-sa)

Ethan Frank repped this.
  6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    sbahnhof repped this.
  7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hate to tell ya i told you so ......both first timers Millie Turner & Ella Toone make the Lioness squad for their upcoming friendly vs Germany
    England Women's Senior football squad
    this could be Neville's chance for redemption as #2 Germany's undergoing some serious injury problems as usual starters Doursoon, Gwinn & Popp are out, plus their coach puzzling decision not include their newest teenage mutant, Krumbiegel, or any Turbine Potsdam players even though their currently 2nd in Bundesliga standings.
    A win could also show the new prowess of the WSL after buying so many of the world's best players. Hope Neville give a lot minutes to surging Kirby, Kelly & Russo, but the save bet is he'll probably start his fav vets

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Kirby is definitely in excellent form and Kelly has been impressive. I'm not sure about Russo. I find myself, as an Arsenal fan, a bit down on Nobbs. She's an attacking talent--can put the ball in the net--but I've been watching her overall play this season and she is quite a soft player. Wants to get forward and receive the ball--ok, fine--but is pretty worthless when it comes to making and winning challenges, getting the ball back. That's a problem when you are in tough, physical matches against good teams. Look at the U.S. midfield--Mewis (6 feet tall and athletic) and two bruisers in Ertz and Horan. Lavelle is not phyiscal, but if you've got two athletic, physical mids you're ahead of the game. England has a lot of depth--a lot of good players--but outside of Bronze I'm not sure they have enough great players to win a big tournament. They certainly could--but for now I remain a bit of a skeptic.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #409 hotjam2, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Nobbs didn’t get the call up, might be on the injury list. She’s replaced by Christiansen(Everton).
    A lot of MU fans where way more impressed with Russo’s debut than Press first start(last Sunday) but do to Press’s credentials will probably get the start/ or at least at CF.
    What I like most about Russo’s game is so strong pressing in & around the pk box which can significantly disrupt the opposing defenders. She would be good to use especially against Germany, who often back pass to their GK seem vulnerable to interceptions

Yeah, Neville fashions himself as an technical coach who prefers the short passing game to the more hybrid, long ball style of several of the WSL clubs, that’s why he packs his squad with MC players(who’s style is similar). Maybe Wiegman will choose to start the more faster types like Daly, Russo, Galton, Beth E?

10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Not sure why you’re saying I told you so. I’ve previously said Toone was the most deserving of the Man Utd players to get called up. I never really predicted that M. Turner wouldn’t get called up; I just didn’t understand all the shouts for her to get called up based on her form since that Chelsea match last November. Recently, M. Turner was culpable on both Liverpool’s second and third goals in the Conti Cup loss. She also had her dangerous moments vs Tottenham, but she did score and was largely good.

11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Russo was great vs Birmingham and Brighton. She was okay/good vs Liverpool (apart from taking too many of the dead ball situations) and Tottenham (apart from her decision to not just square to Heath for a much better chance in the second half).

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I saw that play against Tottenham when Heath was all alone in front of goal and Russo did not slot the ball over to her for what would have been an easy goal. I thought, "How can you miss seeing that?" Maybe because she's young.....

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She is just a greedy striker like many are ( on that play). They all want to shoot rather than pass. In general, I don't think she is that selfish.

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Press--like most forwards--plays best in open games when she getting the ball in space on counterattacks and has room to run and go at defenders. She is quite dangerous in space. She--like most forwards--is far less effective in matches when the opponent has numbers behind the ball. Against well-organized defensive opponents I'd rather have Press on a wing than as a center-forward. There's long been debate in America about the women's NT and whether Morgan or Press should be CF. Morgan's almost always been the pick because she can score better in tight spaces--and uses her head quite often to score.

15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Yeah need to put her on winger. And I’ve seen so far like the Spurs would put at least two players close to her. Sometimes 3. Probably Alex Morgan telling them how to deal with her or looking at game film.

16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I'm kind of leaning towards Press on the wing for most games with Russo at CF, but yeah, she would be better at CF in matches where she'll have more space there. I wouldn't say Morgan can score better in tight spaces, but she does deal with physicality better and is generally notably better in the air.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #417 hotjam2, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    here;s a couple of vids showing Christen Press's touches vs Spurs

Tobin Heath's vs Liverpool

and now, Alex Morgan in action vs Man U

Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    lol...
    When is the Eng-Ger friendly?

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    27 oct 3pm I think.

20. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    October 27 4pm German time

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    win or at least an tie would be the only way for Neville to salvage his coaching career as now Germany’s injury situation is becoming astronomical; just in one day alone Berger(Chelsea) & Maier(Arsenal) cancelled. Nearly a dozen missing from their peak at Algarve Cup earlier this year

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    another fast paced game by MU, West Ham tries to keep up but to no avail. Russo starts at CF with now both Galton & Heath on the wing. strong mid play from Zelem & Toone, really works well

23. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Looks like those videos are toast...

My takeaway from both games.

No single player in this league can corral Heath.
    She bossed the park in the first half.
    Mind you, if she’s not double teamed she’s gonna be able to rule her side of the park.
    The amount of chances she had were amazing.
    Her goal was emphatic. She’s forging a great rapport with Jackie G already.
    Christin got on the end of a good cross and slotted home. Her smile was one that said....‘Thank Heavens’. So maybe the goals will flow now. Interesting that Stoney used them separately.

ManC was a bit disappointing.Still too slow in looking up for opportunities Sam did score a nice goal though. Rose did not have a good game and is a bit wasted ‘up front’. Reading looked good as a defending side.

sbahnhof and Ethan Frank repped this.
  24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    They've just had too many finishing issues to start the season. For example, yesterday, they had a point blank effort saved by Moloney, and then, Stanway somehow didn't finish past the Reading player on the line.

If Weir didn't have concussion concerns, I think she would have started ahead of Lavelle in this match. However, if you play Lavelle on the front line, she indeed shouldn't be played central.

sbahnhof repped this.
  25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    There’s always FA player.

zdravstvuyte repped this.