Football in the UK and Ireland season 2019/20

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 9, 2019.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    At least all the players can now go on holidays, except the Arsenal ones and also teams can prepare next season now ie make transfer go through, present budgets to their parents club.... and once the men's football mess is solved, we will see which clubs are in danger of folding.

2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like Man City is making a pitch for Marozsan. they'll probably pay better than Utah
    100736711_10215993764737278_9010519449144393728_o.jpg

blissett repped this.
  3. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I mean a number of players have traveled and been out of England for weeks/months already. Plus, professional athletes still train and work out during the offseason. Don’t fatigue and the need for breaks come from a significant fixture list? In other words, I can’t quite agree with “at least all the players can now go on holidays”. I mean the world situation is far from great, but the players kind of have been on “holiday” for a couple of months now in my opinion. I mean they might take a week or so break from daily exercise, but apart from that, I don’t see how much things will be different. Add in the fact that travel will likely still be restricted or not advised, and most players likely won’t be going anywhere. I know there will now be a difference from a mental aspect, and I understand that since I’ve had my own issues. However, the “checking out” if true still doesn’t quite sit right with me coming from professional athletes. That’s just me though, and I know I’m likely being harsh. Agree with your comment otherwise.

4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Probably, but Orlando holding onto Marta for this long gives me a little pause. Likely just a unique situation that's worked out there though.

5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    She probably wanted to play in NWSL.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They were coming to Utah for sure with Bouhaddi until Covid-19 messed that move up.

And I was wrong, the 8 teams still in the FA Women's Cup are not on holidays yet. The competition has not been abandoned.

7. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Maybe they could banish the coronavirus using the, like, the Magic of the FA Cup? :confused:
    (It's a very long shot, admittedly)

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But at least in the case of Man City(who also trying to get Lucy Bronze back) they still got money to spend on woso

meantime the new player Arsenal got is the Swiss-American sometime starter at fullback for Wolfsburg named Nicole Maritz. Don’t feel she’ll be much of a game changer for them

as compared to the pickup of Leupolz & the now healthy return of Fran Kirby for Chelsea

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Klingo3034 and sbahnhof repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Manchester City have appointed Gareth Taylor as their new head coach for three years. He was the men's u18 manager. He is a former City player.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    viral interview with Miedema showing as well, highlights of some of her best goals

L'orange, Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Amazing player and very good interview! :thumbsup:

L'orange repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Athletic today mentions the 2020/21 season will start Sunday 27 September.

SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    And the way it's gone for Arsenal the last two years, she'll suffer some sort of leg/foot injury 3 weeks after she gets to the club and be out for two months. I agree: I'm not sure how a part-time starter at Wolfsburg is going to add much to the Gunners. Veje is a good outside back but missed most of the aborted season with a foot injury. I assume she'll be healthy when play resumes if she's still with the club.

15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Tks. First time I've seen Goal Box: I like the hosts, who know what they're talking about, and will have to watch more episodes. You see Miedema's huge talent and clinical finishing in these highlights: She scores in many different ways--excellent header, strikes the ball strongly with both feet (see her first goal here with her left), dinks when necessary, excellent runs, adjusts her feet and body beautifully when in the box. The total striker package.

SuperHyperVenom and blissett repped this.
  16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yeah, Smith and Wright know a thing or two about scoring goals.

blissett repped this.
  17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Man it sucks that FA got canceled. Chelsea was going through undefeated so far, won against Arsenal in their first Continental Cup, which is pretty surprising. And there was suppose to be a documentary following the team starting from the beginning of their season. Now, its like the ending will say they had to end because of the virus. At least it shows them undefeated and winning the Cup so far before the cancellation. Not to mention able to qualify for the Champions League.

blissett repped this.
  18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  19. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] Scotland was one game into the league season 2020 when play was suspended by lockdown - in the opener, Celtic won against the champs Glasgow City 2-1 to mark Celtic's new full-time status and experienced coach, Fran Alonso from Spain. Rangers went top of the table temporarily, for a brief phase, which has now lasted 4 months.

The Week in Women's Football: Scotland focus; Rangers, Celtic turn professional; International players arrive, by Tim Grainey - https://www.tribalfootball.com/arti...essional-international-players-arrive-4322415 (Archive)

Women's football: No decision on return to action, says SWF (Heather Dewar, BBC Scotland / Archive)

20. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #596 hotjam2, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    hey L'orange, what you think of the German teen, 19 year old Klara Buhl, as comparison to Miedema? In her game a couple of days ago, she pretty much takes charge in the 2nd half(she's #21 for the red/black striped, Freiburg)
    SC Freiburg - 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam | 17. Spieltag, 2019/2020 | MAGENTA SPORT - YouTube
    that's my problem with Netherlands right now, they don't seem to have any upcoming players. Youtube only got full games of FC Twente, but from what Ive seen of their fwds; Kalma, Jansen & van Weerden(who all have made it allready to the Dutch NT), none of them come close to Buhl

22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    #597 L'orange, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020

I'm not sure I've seen Kalma play, so have no opinion of her--I must do some research. I see she's scored quite a few goals--9 for Twente, I think, before play was stopped, so I need to check her out. I also haven't seen much of van Weerden, but the coaches must be high on her. She's skilled but not very big--that much I know--and my vague sense is that she's not going to stick at forward. To me, she's got the physical profile of a midfielder going forward.

The young Dutch forwards I have seen play are Ella Peddemors, a speedy winger (18 yrs. old, I think) who plays for Twente; Chastity Grant (19), who plays for ADO Den Haag; Nikita Tromp, a young forward who plays for PEC Zwolle; and Kirsten Westeringh, a forward for Ajax. They're all on the U19 team and I believe all are on their senior club rosters, though I don't think any of them are starters. Grant and Tromp have gotten some starts, I see, but I'm not sure if they're regulars or not. Peddemors, who is tall and has a lot of pace, and Grant have impressed me in youth NT games. Tromp is a solidly built center forward who has scored a /lot/ of goals for the U17 and U19 teams, I believe--but I think she might be more suited as she develops into more of an attacking midfield role. I think those three will be on the NT roster within the next two - three years. I certainly haven't seen the next Martens or Miedema yet--but then players of their quality are pretty rare.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wish we could have seen the U-20s as well as U-17s in action to judge the younger generation.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's FC Twente in a friendly, winterbreak from Januarly playing quite good vs Wolfsburg. But keep in mind in the obvious more important Champions League match, they lost to the same opponent 6-0
    RE-LIVE | Testspiel der VfL Wolfsburg Frauen gegen Twente Enschede - YouTube

here they are vs the previous CL opponent, some team out Austria, But the action is very 2nd tier(I've seen junior college games better than this, lol)
    LIVE: Halen de FC Twente Vrouwen de Champions League? | RTV Oost - YouTube

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And the winners are:

FA WSL Chelsea
    FA WC Aston Villa

Champions League: Chelsea and Man City

Relegated to FA WC: Liverpool
    Promoted to FA WSL : Aston Villa

Relegation to third Tier from the Championship: none because the FA null and voided Tier 3 and below three months ago.

All decision made on Points Per Game basis.
    And an explanation by Kelly Simmons.

Next season 12 teams in the FA WSL, 11 teams in the FAWC.