Football in the UK and Ireland season 2019/20

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 9, 2019.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Liverpool FC management of the Liverpool Women team is bizzare.
    Under funded for many years and the first two seasons in the FA WSL They were the first English team to go full time professional in 2013. They won the League straightaway, defended that title in 2014.

Then the investment level dropped, I believe the person who was taking care of the women team at Liverpool FC left.
    Matt Beard left to take over the Boston Bbreakers and nearly all the players left.

The budget has started to grow slowly every year but is still about 35% of the top 3 teams. And we know that obviously, money is not a problem at Liverpool FC.

sbahnhof repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    From what I've read, they seem to have good defense, and almost all their matches were close games, usually 1 point difference. Problem is the scoring. I guess they need some top scorers. Or could be the problem in the center field and don't have good passers.

If Liverpool club could get 1 million dollars, that could go along way for the team. Just a million. Not 100 million dollar transfer for 1 player like in men's game. Chelsea paid 600k per season for Sam Kerr for at least 2 years of service I believe.

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Chelsea FC paid 15,000 dollars transfer for Guro Reiten. Thats pure robbery right there.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The budget for the season 2018/19, this is what is classed as expenditures in the companies accounts:

1. Chelsea £( 3,544,160) this is their 2017/18 budget, so it should have gone up, but has not been filed in their account
    2. Man City £3,361,000
    3. Arsenal £3,086,000
    4. Brighton £2,007,290
    5. Man Utd £1,485,000 ( playing in the Championship)
    6. Reading £1,478,668
    7. Liverpool £1,374,940
    8. Everton £1, 164, 537
    9. Birmingham £1,125,216
    10. West Ham £1,035,603

Note no data for Bristol City and Tottenham Hotspurs.

sbahnhof, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Shouldn't their books be public info?

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I'm not surprised that Chelsea's is the biggest budget: one can see it in their signings and talent--and signing Kerr. A budget that's half a million more than that of Arsenal, which has the 3rd biggest budget, is pretty significant when you consider how small the budgets are, with Chelsea not even at 4 million, and hugely significant with everybody below Arsenal.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes indeed, but what they publish is worthless, or I don't understand it. My degree was in logistics and international transport with no accounting in the curriculum.

The Kerr spending will appear in the 2019/20 accounts, so the Chelsea budget will surely go up even more. As will City and Arsenal's to be fair.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #508 hotjam2, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    though the official word should be in tomorrow, looks like the Equalizer jumped the gun & announced that the FA wouldn't renew Phil Neville's contract which ends in the summer of 2021. It's not clear if he gets to coach GB in the Olympics, but the assumption is that he'll probably need to resign sooner so they can hand off that job who ever the new coach going to be
    Reports: Phil Neville, England to part at end of contract in 2021 – Equalizer Soccer

this page shows you just how bad they've done; only 3 wins in 11 games
    England - England - Results, fixtures, squad, statistics, photos, videos and news - Women Soccerway

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Kind of awkward considering the time it takes to get them ready for the Olympics. But with the virus going on, I figure they probably have more time to get things settled between the new coach and the team.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    BBC all ready got an article out on who the front runners going to be
    England women: Who could replace Phil Neville as Lionesses coach? - BBC Sport
    from what I heard, Jill Ellis instead wants to be an MLS(mens)coach.

don't think Silvi Neid would be a good fit with her German, stern, no nonesense approach for the Austin Powers style, swinging Brits.

Nick Cushing all ready got a new assignment coaching a men's squad

the unknown assistant coach would be too closely linked to the Neville disaster

people would worry that if it's Joe Montemurro(Arsenal), half his team will be injured by the end of a tourney, lol

so my pick would be either Emma Hayers or Casey Stoney

Klingo3034 repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Even if Silvi was a good fit, she is retired and don't want to help the enemy.

LOL Joe definitely would get the team all injured by the time Olympics start. Probably even reduce the team to just 11 players because quality is better than quantity.

Emma Hayes and Casey Stoney are good choices. But I think they probably focused on their local clubs winning the FA Cup and getting them to Champions League then winning the Olympics.

hotjam2 repped this.
  12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ellis & Neid went out as winners, so not sure if they want to come back(and end up as potential losers). I would prefer Ellis cuz at least she would switch to an much needed way more direct, attacking style than either Neville or Cushing(Man City) who with their play-from-the-back possession style where it’s like their afraid to loose the ball, but eventually loose it anyways.

It’s hard to measure how good club coaches are, as it depends more often on how much money that particular club is spending. Surprised at the lack of scoring from Sam Kerr under Hayes(only 1 goal in 6 games), but watching her Norwegian contingent(Reiten, Mjelde, Thorisdotire) get recently slaughtered by the German B squad, you got to admit that Hayes certainly knows how to get the best out of those players
    Forgot to mention another prospect from the BBC article; Lauren Harvey. Got the feeling she’ll happy right now if she’s getting Marozsan on her Utah team. But if Maro proves to be overrated(which I feel she will be in the way faster paced NWSL) then she might well ditch her squad to be reunited at the Olympics with old pals, Kim Little & Jessica Fishlock

Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think its pretty much still a thing with possession style in Europe.

Sam Kerr hasn't scored much, but she has provide a big problem to the opposition. And she has couple of assists and many shooting chances. I think Marozsan will be fine. Many European players like Kim Little and Fishlock are current or former in NWSL and they did well. Sure its more fast paced, but they just have to be conditioned for it.

Christian Press combined with speed of the game in U.S. and technical ability from Europe when she played there equals perfect player. Europeans will catch up as they invest more money.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Possibly the mvp of the French league, Marozsan been playing poorly lately for her NT where she hasn’t scored in 2 & half years. The same could be said of Kim Little; great in club soccer, not so good for her NT

Christian Press shows why the US continues to be so strong; easily one of the best forwards in the world, yet just an sub most of the time on the USWNT

can’t forgive her for weaseling out of her assigned, Houston Dash team, to the greener/more attractive pastures of Salt Lake City. But then again, can’t blame anybody not wanting to live in a steam bath like Houston!

Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    some nuggets on twitter from English soccer journalist, Sophie Lawson

last time they searched for an NT manager, they disqualified two prospects for having 'relationships' with their players(this includes men & women coaches)

another post there's a poll on when Neville should resign, I voted for until they find an replacement, but NOW won by a landslide!

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Reading Women have put their team on furlough. The British government pays 80% of the wages and the club the remaining 20%.

"Several clubs in the Women's Championship have already furloughed players, while non-playing staff at some WSL clubs have also been placed on the scheme or taken wage cuts.

Ethan Frank and sbahnhof repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    AFC Fylde Women ( Tier 3) is the first team to fold due to Coronavirus.

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Sucks that it happened. Wonder if they will able to come back.

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Probably not or if they do they start at tier 7, unless they come back rich and get an FA WSL or Championship licence...

20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That doesn't apply to tier 3? Financing their way back to that? I've read about needing money to be even qualified to be in tier 2 even if they are a good team.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The licensing ie accessing on non sporting merit starts in Tier 2 ( championship) and obviously in Tier 1 ( FA WSL)

From tier 7 to tier 3, you climb only on sporting merit as it is not directly controlled by the FA but by the leagues themselves.
    That's why Manchester United were allowed to start in Tier 2 instead of Tier 7 because the FA gave them a licence.

That year the FA also changed the FA Women's Cup rules to allow them entry as the rules were always to enter a eam if you had a senior team the season before and they did not have one obviously, so the FA changed the rules for them.

sbahnhof and Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the WSL all-star lineup giving by an publication called Atlantic(idk how important they are or even if it's an sports mag). They gave the mvp to Beth England. I personally wouldn't agree with it(think they would be eaten up alive vs the French & Spanish league or NWSL all-star squad or at least would of added Sam Kerr & Kim Little & vote Miedema as mvp,
    Capture-d-e-cran-2020-04-26-a-21-37-45.png

23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The Athletic UK. Kerr and Little haven’t played enough in my opinion to warrant a place, and despite pretty decent underlying creative stats, Kerr’s finishing has been below expectations. Miedema would also be my Player of the Year. However, England’s been better since the winter break, and I think that’s played a part in the decision process. For the lineup, I would replace Williams with Weir, move Reiten to LW, move England central with Miedema, move Hemp to RW or replace her with Kelly at RW, replace Eriksson with Andersson, move Williamson to LCB, maybe replace Bonner with Bright, and have Mjelde or Beckie at RB.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #524 hotjam2, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    If I understand you correctly, your version would look like this;

................,England........Miedema

Weir....,......Ingels........Reiten........Hemp

Anderson.....Bright.....Williamson.....Mjelde

my only complaint from both lists would be(with the exception of Hemp)the poor performances from these players at either the last SBC, TON or Algarve Cup. Maybe they were exhausted or driven to hard in WSL play, but for example; Beth England got her start vs Japan. Thanks to turnovers, got the open chances to score, but the final shots were bland & than her sub, Ellen White, comes in & scores in minutes. So hence, waisted opportunity to take away White’s usual starting spot on the NT

25. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Switch Weir and Reiten, and yes, that’s one of my potential lineups. I sort of see what you’re saying regarding the tournaments, but that really doesn’t factor in here. The best XI covers only club football in England. Plus, two or three international matches don’t take away from the great club season of the players chosen in my opinion.