Football in the UK and Ireland season 2019/20

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 9, 2019.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm a little confused as to why? They aren't paying to keep stadiums open, and it's not like they were making much money on attendance or TV deals, so I can't see where much revenue is being lost unless sponsorship deals have been cancelled.

I mean, the other possibility is the brother teams are the ones losing a ton of revenue, and the sister teams are being shuttered as collateral. Which is dumb, but sadly wouldn't be at all surprising.

Lechus7 repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Was she offsides? Yeah just barely. Ball was going the other way while she was moving back and started going back while looking onside. Impressive pace.

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably they don't like paying players to sit around.

4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I don't know about specifics, but if clubs are still paying their female players, which is the fair thing to do in my opinion, while not getting any revenue from match ticket sales, that is losing revenue. Maybe not much on an absolute scale, but that is something. I think most WSL sides will be fine; the situation for a lot of Women's Championship and lower clubs is likely a bit unclear.

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Impressive pace? She had plenty of time to get solidly back onside but chose to barely jog back and lucked out. It's not barely in my opinion. Barely is White vs the US in the WWC; Lloyd is pretty clear cut offside to me here, and it would have been a straightforward no goal decision with VAR.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #481 SiberianThunderT, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Well my point was that they're losing money anyway, and the attendance factor is small compared to other club budget items. Think of it this way: many NWSL clubs are losing money even with attendance averages north of 5k, and aside from the largest WSL clubs, everyone in England is drawing under 1k on average. It's highly likely that the salary spending far outstrips attendance revenue for all clubs in both levels, even looking at just players - including coaching and office staff would make the difference even bigger. As such, it's not going to make a noticeable percentage difference whether the attendance is "normal" (under 1k) or 0. Yes, it's something, but if you're an owner who's okay losing $800k per year but "not okay" with losing $850k per year, you're full of sh!t.

Also, you may be losing ticket revenue, but you're also not paying to rent fields and/or open stadiums. If anything, not playing is probably *making* money overall, not a net loss.

sbahnhof repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would say the teams bankrolled by men's team that are not rich are those in danger of collapsing: Birmingham, Bristol in the FA WSL, London Bees and Charlton in the FA WC.

It is a well known process for men's team in England to abandon their women team when cost cutting with multiple examples through the years. The big clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, United or City don't mind spending 2M and can absorb the loss without problem but smaller teams already struggling won't be able to.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As the commentator said; the score could of easily been 4-0, 5-0. With the postponement of the Olympics, this would be a good time to think about firing Neville(the Germans did it after the Stefi Jones SBC debacle). But then, will they ever get a top quality coach? Neville’s only prior experience was defensive coordinator for the Valencia men’s club, which under his leadership, ended up in last place, lol(or at least that’s the story given)

L'orange repped this.
  9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And the FA has just cancelled the whole season 2019/20 for the Tier 3 to 7. No promotion/relegation at any of those level. There are many unhappy teams. We will see if they apply the same regulations to Tier 1 and 2.

Ethan Frank and sbahnhof repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #485 shlj, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I could maybe understand no support from the FA for women's struggling clubs, but only if there won't be any support for the men's struggling clubs either. Is that the way they're going to manage that? No support for any club?

Anyway, since women's movement had to fight for so long to obtain some recognition, I wouldn't object to giving it some support and letting the rich men's clubs do without instead.

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The British government is supporting all companies and it includes football teams with Spurs taking advantage of the scheme. Liverpool also chose to do the same and then reversed their decision.

My company is using this scheme, I have been furloughed and get paid 80% of my usual wages and I am staying at home doing nothing for 3 months for example.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is my guesses on how the teams could be in trouble, they are listed as per their current tables.

FA WSL fully professional

Chelsea men team in PL, big budget available to women team - ok

Man City men team in PL, big budget available to women team- ok

Arsenal men team in PL, big budget available to women team-ok

Man Utd men team in PL, big budget available to women team - ok

Reading mean team in the championship, financial trouble, nice budget available to women side - ok

Tottenham men team in PL, furlough non playing staff, paying new white hart lane stadium means not much money available for women team - should be ok

Everton men team in PL, investment going up next season, probably looking at champions league place - ok

West Ham men team in PL, not super rich - ok

Brighton and Hove men team in the PL, serious investment in infrastructure done for women team- ok

Bristol City men team in the championship, not a big budget for women team - might fold

Birmingham City men team in the championship has big money problems, women budget apparently highly reduced last Summer leading to many departures - could fold

Liverpool men team champions league holders, PL champions elect, originally furlough non playing staff despite being rich support for women team is small compared to other PL team - depends if the power that be decide to push up investment. money not a problem

FA WC semi-professional with a couple of full time sides

Aston Villa men team in PL, nice budget available to women team for a championship side -ok

Sheffield United men team in PL, nice budget available to women team for a championship side - ok

Durham independent team- depends on revenue stream

London City Lionesses independent team - depends on revenue stream

London Bees men team in the 5th tier, they have laid off all non playing staff last month, could definitely fold

Leicester City men team in PL, good budget available to women team for a championship side - ok

Blackburn Rovers men in championship, small budget for the women team - should be ok

Crystal Palace men team in PL, ok budget available to women team for a championship side - should be ok

Lewes equality team, budget same as men team that play in 7th tier, depends on revenue stream

Coventry United men team is in 9th tier small budget for the women team- depends on revenue stream

Charlton Athletic men team in the championship has big money problems, depends on support from men side if it will carry on

Lohmann, Ethan Frank, sbahnhof and 2 others repped this.
  14. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Was hoping to see Chelsea finish to the top. Also they were making a documentary following Chelsea through the season. With them winning it would have been epic.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Clearly the FA want to finish the season and they have many pitches at St George's Park. Not sure if many are suitable for tv cameras although if they play men's game there, quite sure that SkySports and BT Sport will get some installed.

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Women should play early before the men gets back to action. The viewers are starving for some new action. Good time for some exposure.

19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    The problem is if they are recording or streaming, it could be sticking to 1 camera.

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would like to see Arsenal & Chelsea finish top two over Man City(who’s style & players reminds me too much of the lackluster English NT), Catlyn Foord has just joined Arsenal & plus hoping that Kim Little is back as well, make them a more exciting team than MC.
    Got to say a little disappointed on how Chelsea players fared last month for their respective NT’s; Beth England failed to impress at SBC, Sam Kerr’s Matildas only managed a 2-1 win over Vietnam(their way lower ranked than even Thailand), the couple of Swedes lost two straight games at the Algarve Cup, the 3 Norwegians got clobbered, 4-0 by the German B team(a makeshift squad that never played together before as an unit)and do on down the list.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Man City does look like England NT. Wouldn't be surprised its all based on possession style. Chelsea plays fast and counterattack quickly and lots of crossovers.

Wasn't sure if I blame Beth on her performance. She had that one chance against U.S. in SBC but missed it. Also she barely played in that game. Came in, in the 77th min. Not much to go on. Don't remember if they put Beth and Ellen White together as duo attackers against Japan and Spain. It would help each other.

Also was surprised the Aussies barely beat Vietnam which as you said is supposedly worse than Thailand.

hotjam2 repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's a home video by Lisa Evans with gf, Vivianne Miedema in tow on how they keep active during the lockdown.

with so many of the players going back to their own hometowns, makes you wonder how teanm practise their going to get before they restart the season?

23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wouldn't be surprise to see a pitch like less than a hundred yards from their home. Whether small or big.

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Regarding the logistics of hosting the teams and referees at St George's Park, there are no real problems. There is a Hilton Hotel on site actually. Also there are many hotels around used by the FA to host foreign teams that are playing at SGP.

The FA also uses regularly Loughborough University for youth internationals and domestic cups. The ground is located 30 miles from SGP. They could also use pitches in Leicester and Coventry if needed, These are all located in the Midlands not more than 50 miles away from SGP.

A reminder that there are a lot of games to be played to conclude the season. Bimringham have 9 games to play, while City and Brighton only have 6 games to play. I have put in brackets the maximum number of points a team could get.

Champions League race

1. City 40 pts pl 16 +30 (58)
    2. Chelsea 39 pts pl 15 +36 (60)
    =====================
    3. Arsenal 36 pts pl 15 +27 (57)

Relegation battle

9. Brighton 13 pts pl 16 -19 (31)
    10. Bristol 9 pts pl 14 -29 (33)
    11. Birmingham 7 pts pl 13 -18 (34)
    =======================
    12. Liverpool 6 pts pl 14 -12 (30)

sbahnhof, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Nearly forgot about the top 2 teams go to CL. Arsenal definitely wants to get there if they are still in the race for number 2 while other 2 have to lose.

Bottom is important especially Liverpool which needs to win all theirs while the others have to lose to stay. Be embarrassing for Liverpool to be relegated.