Food rivalries

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bojendyk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In Virginia, eating a Krispy Kreme doughnut fresh off the assembly line is a religious experience.

2. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

1) Krispy Kreme has the best dough....but they are waaaaay too sweet. (Freaking southerners :p )

2) I have been to the one at Raleigh...I did enjoy the donut very much...but I need two liters of coffee to wash it down...and guess what Krispy Kreme coffee SUCKS!

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been in LA 3 times and I've noticed there are a ton of places to get donuts (Randy's being the one that really sticks in my mind with that big donut on their roof, I'd love to stop there sometime). What is the big chain out there, Winchell's?

Dunkin Donuts coffee, btw, is fantastic (provided it's made fresh, that's really the case anywhere).

K

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    yeeeeeHAAAA, Save your Dixie Cups, The South's gonna rise again! :D

Actually, their glazed donuts are perfectly blended. If they were to open a Starbuck's next door, it would be like crack addicts milling around. :p

5. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Winchell's is the biggest chain with Dunking & Krispy maitaining a significant presence in the Burbs & Sticks. However, in L.A. the best bet is the indeprs endents. If you are in the West L.A. area try Primo's @ Sawtelle & National Blvds......it is best between 6 and 8 A.M. when all the Blue Collar workers drive fresh donut production continously.

The Chocolate Pretzels, Chocolate Bars & Flaky Custard Turnovers are amazing when they are still hot.

6. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Other than Primo's there are thousands of Asian Immigrant owned Donut shops that are dirt cheap and can be amazing. Generally, the ones with pristine exteriors & interiors are also the ones that are careful with ingredients & processes. The also offer some different things, catering to the local market....I often get a White Cheddar & Jalapeno Butter Croissant & Aztec Style Hot Chocolate.

7. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

You must be hanging around too many Cubans :p When of my Cuban friends has Latte with his Sugar!

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You know, it's funny. I really don't have a sweet tooth and things overly sweet turn me off. I usually have a little sugar with my coffee and prefer honey with tea, but just those warm nice doughnuts at KK are the bomb. They're perfect IMHO. Gift from the gods....

9. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Even moreso in North Carolina

There aren't enough around there already?

10. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you but only - ONLY - if it's right off the line. Once they cool off they are cloyingly sweet.

Their cake donuts are better.

11. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When Krispy Kreme discontinued their Cinnamon Bun Doughnuts, they were dead to me. In fact, I'm going to make them the first on my "Dead to Me" board.

As far as beans for chili, try garbanzo beans (chickpeas). They give a great texture to chili and can balance the spiciness well. Q

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    krispy kremes: worst. donuts. ever.

they literally make me gag... besides, donuts should only be bought at small local shops

the best in the US? andy's donuts in richmond, CA (kinda between san fran and oakland) - they have a banana cake donut that'll make you slap a blind priest to get one

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes: Not everyone has a "small local shop." The only thing people "should" do is buy the donuts they like the best.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i think most americans live in a place with at least one independent bakery

oh you know what i meant

15. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. I'm not so sure. Besides, we got donuts from an independent bakery in Hondo, TX and the chocolate icing was nasty! It tasted like it was made with garlic. Just because a place isn't a chain, doesn't mean it's quality.

You gots ta shop around.

True, but I get tired of people pontificating against chains. People who look down their noses at chains are no better than people in Ft Worth who voted the Olive Garden the best italian restaurant in town a few years ago.

It's just not a simple thing.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

absolutely, but i kinda feel the 'chain culture' is at odds with that

as for krispy kremes, their chocolate icing so majestically exceeds the reasonable amount of sugar that it doesn't even taste chocolate... i mean they really need to cut back about 78.5% on the powdered sugar on their donuts

i'm not a glazed guy anyway (unless it's a cake chocolate/banana/lemon/pumpkin/blueberry glazed!)

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost never get donuts with powdered sugar but you won't hear me arguing too strenously in favor of KK. They are just waaay too sweet, on the whole.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i meant the powdered sugar in the glaze/icing

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this morning we were in Farmington, NM and tried to go to a local donut shop but it was closed. We ended up at Dunkin Donuts.

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think in NM you could get some good churros (fried dough sticks usually dipped in cinnamon). They're very tasty (although anything with cinnamon usually is!)

If you're still in Farmington you can use these coupons at the DD:
    http://www.destinationcoupons.com/New_Mexico/Farmington/Dunkin/Donuts.html

K

21. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Good luck finding anything good to eat in Farmington. I was there for two weeks and couldn't wait to leave. The only place I've been in New Mexico where you couldn't get green chile. You know when you're looking forward to go to Window Rock for good food, that it's fairly desperate.

22. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    If you go thru Santa Fe, I recommend Maria's or Tommasita's for excellent New Mexican Food. Near the plaza, the Blue Corn Cafe has a killer corn chowder. It's a brewpub and has good homemade beer, too.

In Albuquerque, Garduno's is a sure thing. And for Las Cruces, it's La Posta.

That food is much more to my liking than tex-mex.

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Las Cruces! There used to be a sweet small restaurant in DC by that name (the owner was from NM). The menus were all bound by used NM license plates. My favorite thing about the joint though was the Elvis shrine and they had good drinks!

K

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks but we almost never stay anywhere longer than one night.

I've discovered that the "independent" donut place that was closed in Farmington is actually a chain. Daylight Donuts. I think we're going there in the morning. (We're currently in Alamosa, CO.)

25. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to remember where we ate dinner the night we were there. It might be the night we had mexican food delivered to the hotel and it was the most tasteless, horrid mexican food I've ever eaten in my life.

However, the other night in Las Vegas, NM we had an astounding yummy mexican dinner so my faith in humanity is restored.