Food rivalries

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bojendyk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People from the South definitely take pride in their sweet tea. When visiting southerners, it is inevitable that you will be forced to drink some.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's weird because I lived in the south for 28 years and was never, not even once, forced to drink sweet tea. In fact, I didn't even hear of it until I moved considerably north.

3. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where did you live?

4. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Orleans for 23 years and Tampa for 5. Then I moved to Northern Virginia and it was maybe 10 years later before I heard of "sweet tea."

5. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't consider Florida as part of the "South", and New Orleans is a large city farther to the west. I suppose sweet tea is more of a rural South thing. Still, you should have known about sweet tea long before you did. Strange.

6. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Orleans is definitely a southern city; it's just a whole lot more than that. Maybe it's that when I was living there the iced tea I was most interested in was of the Long Island variety. I dunno.

Besides, it's not all that far west. I can say with no fear of being wrong that there is nothing - NOTHING - of the american west about the culture of New Orleans. It's identity is far more southern.

That said, it's certainly not rural.

7. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now it is all explained. ;) :D

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmeehh, from the Georgia state line to about 2 hours north of Orlando....Florida is definitely the "South." Anywhere south of that, I agree with you.

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Definately, go down to Flagler county, FL right outside of Daytona and tell me if you don't think you're in the DEEP south or not.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And thank God for that, I say.

Otherwise it's just diuretic brown water.

11. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D

Truth be told, after the first time I got sick on those things (in 1980 at a Models show at Jimmy's (on Oak St.)) I haven't come within 6 feet of one.

12. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Pizza - New York

Barbecue - Texcoco, Mexico State

Chili - San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, in Silver City, NM I just had the most tasteless mexican food ever.

14. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

I am not surprised....Southwest Cuisine is crap, it is not even remotely close to what I can get in Mexico.

15. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had mexican food in Mexico* so this was just crap. I've had extremely yummy mexican food hundreds of times in other places; I just didn't expect bad food in NM.

*So far I've spent a grand total of 30 minutes in Mexico. That should change in the next few weeks, though.

16. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Where are you going?

17. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dunno, exactly. For the last several months my boyfriend and I have been driving around the country. Right now we're in the southwest and at some point, we'll cross the border into Mexico for a peek around.

But I don't exactly when or where. Hell, I'm not entirely sure where we're going tomorrow.

18. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

It sounds like you most likely hit a border town. Northern Mexico, is widely regarded as the least culinarily developed regions of Mexcio. However, there are some notable exceptions:

A short 7 Hour Drive from Tucson, via a solid 4 Lane Highway, will take you to Alamos, Sonora where you can dine at Hacienda de los Santos

The menu changes daily....but ask for the "Filete en Chipotle" and you will receive a fine filet of local Grass Fed Angus beef served in a smokey Chipotle Sauce with Wild Mushrooms....pair it with a Dry Red Sparkling Wine.

If you are driving the opposite direction go to Monterrey, Nuevo Leon where the local specialty is the Roast Baby Goat. Monterrey is also an interesting place to visit, from an Cultural perspective, because it was founded by Sephardic Jews....and there is still very much a blend of Jewish Traditions, Catholicism & Mestizaje.

Between Monterrey & Alamos, you will find Copper Canyon , which is actually the deepest Canyon in North American...and an awe inspiring place to visit in its own right. If you make the trip I recommend dining at Lazara's Home/Inn in the town of Batopilas. If you are lucky, she will prepare your meal using some of the dozen varieties of native basil, that are indigenous to the part of Mexico.

If you come by California, then you have to several options:

Tijuana - where you can't miss at Hacienda Cien Anos

Ensenada Wine Country - where you can't go wrong at El Rey Sol , an International Award Winning French - Mexican fusion restaurant or at the restaurant at the Santo Tomas Vineyards.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Thanks. :)

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, do you write tour books? Seriously, after reading this I want to go!

K

21. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    admittedly, I've never been to Coney Island, but I don't think your standard Nathan's dog has chili on it. Mustard and kraut would be a classic NY dog to me.

I know they've been putting "chili" (it's a greek meat sauce) on dogs in the Paterson, NJ area since the 1930's.

22. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

No....but I am working on a "traveling to Mexico City" website.

23. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    And I grew up in GA/SC and can't stand DD cake doughnuts (KK spelling). touché ;)

24. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

In California.....they both suck :)

25. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I grew up in New Jersey and have lived in Chicago for the past five years. Why the pizza debate even exists is beyond me - that deep dish stuff doesn't even really qualify as pizza. It's like a layer cake made of dough and cheese.

Both, however, are better than the pineapple-topped crap you get in California.