Food rivalries

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bojendyk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The thread about NY pizza reminded me of a discussion my wife and I had while we were making chili. We were trying to think of various regional food rivalries in the US. For example, southerners and Texans will argue about how proper barbecue is made every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

We didn't come up with very many, and we couldn't think of any desserts at all. Thoughts?

(1) Pizza (New York vs. Chicago)

(2) Barbecue (Texas and individual states vs. each other)

(3) Chili (Cincy vs. the rest of the country)

I seem to remember that some southerners noted that sweet tea varies from region to region.

2. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manhatten (red)-New England (white) clam chowder (and just to be different Rhode Island has clear).

Dunkin Donuts (North) vs Krispy Kreme (South). Maybe this is just in my head, I grew up in RI and absolutely love DD and totally despise KK.

K

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Guess I learn something new everyday. I never knew Cincy was known for their chili.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There was a BBQ thread a while back that got kind of nasty. Some pretty heated discussion. We here in DC are trying to start a bacon wrapped hotdog war with our counterparts in LA. Admittedly, we've got a loooong way to go. Those dogs at the HDC frickin' rock.

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, hot dog stands are something people feel very passionate about regionally, Pink's in LA, Rhutt's Hut in NJ, Ben's in DC, Nathans and Gray Papaya in NY, Varsity in Atlanta, RI "NY Wiener System", etc.

K

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Hell, I'd settle for RFK hot dogs that don't come with a dose of food poisoning.

8. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Yea, I saw that on the food network..

Im a pasta lover.. and chili and pasta just does not seem right.. and Cincy being chili capital because someone made the first chili mix.. that is just a laugh and complete bull.. I do actually make my chilli with a cinnamon stick in it.. I saw that done by Jamie Oliver, gave it a shot and absolutely love it..

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You currently live in a part of the country blessed with both DD and KK.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You've never had chili mac?

11. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Nope.. but I guess I could boil up some spaghetti and make a pot chili, to see whats up..

I like Texas Hash, any one ever had that? Its like Chili but 10 times better..

Get a pot of chili, add rice, corn, cheddar cheese, green adn black olives.. eat with fried tortilla chips..

12. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my guilty pleasures and a major comfort food:

A package of elbow macaroni (or the pasta shape of your choice - I like elbows for this.)
    A whole lotta grated cheese of your choice (I favor a cheddar and pepper jack combo)
    A couple of cans of Hormel Hot Chili without beans (or a mess of leftover hommade chili)

Cook the noodles. Mix them up with the chili and about half of the cheese. Stir to combine. Put the mixture into a pyrex dish, cover with the rest of the cheese and bake until bubbly.*

*A variation is to just mix it up with all of the cheese and skip the baking altogether. Depends on how lazy and hungry you are.

When I was poor I would make that - for $5 - $7 bucks I would get dinner for a week!

That sounds yummy. When I was a kid we would eat chili over rice and/or corn chips with cheese. The addition of the olives and corn sounds yummy.

Oh yeah! I can't believe I forgot this - I put corn in the chili mac, too, sometimes.

13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really like it when I was little because my mom was using canned chili, which is fine as an ingredient but not just out of the bowl like that. Yuck.

There was a kind of chili she would buy that came frozen, in a roll like salami. We used it for hotdogs. I wonder what that was....

14. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    a) You don't put beans in your chili. Period.

b) The only real form of barbecue is the brisket, which is indirectly smoked for almost an entire day. Then you eat it without sauce on white bread that's folded over. Add pickles if you like. Nothing else can be called "barbecue," although it might be good.

That's my contribution. Howdy y'all!

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    What about some good old fashioned por ribs, or a pork shoulder.. basically anything cooked over indirect heat using some form of charcoal or a charcoal bi-product.. I believe anything with a sauce is blasphemy, it is just over powering and you lose the subtly of the flayers in the particular meat.. but the rest of "barbecue" is just grilling..

I personally use a Weber and absolutely love it...

17. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    No, YOU don't put beans in chili. I do, and my chili is quite tasty, thank you very much.

18. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I had "Carolina" chowder in the Outerbanks once. It's clear too. I didn't know that RI had clear chowder.

I've read that Manhattan was actually first made in RI by the portuguese there. Some disgusted New Englander thought a bastardization like that had to come from NY so they called it "Manhattan."

19. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    heaven on a bun:

[​IMG]

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This very well could be as there are considerable Portuguese as well as Italian populations in RI (obviously the Italians use a lot of tomatoes). I'm not familiar with the histories of either chowder (but a visit to the Johnson & Wales Culinary museum in Providence is on the itinerary for this coming weekend so maybe the mystery will be answered).

Most Rhode Island clam shacks usually offer red and white, the clear at specific places. The big food "wars" in RI are who makes the best clam cakes and stuff quahogs and then who makes the best coffee syrup (Eclipse or Autocrat; truth be told they're both currently made by Autocrat but people are fiercely brand loyal).

K

21. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Sorry, but that's not chili. That's just some sort of stew with beans in it.

22. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Pork chops are passable, but ribs aren't. Most real barbecue places don't even serve ribs. Or beans.

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I went to a pretty big BBQ competition in Reno, NV this summer and I tell you what, there were ALOT of competitors from around the country and I'm pretty sure they were "real bbq places" and they served ribs. I think brisket is just a Texas thing.

With regards to whether or not beans should be in chili...I like 'em both ways, but the chilis I've had over the years that didn't have pinto beans in 'em were alot better than the ones that did.

And speaking of chili...WTF does Zippy's in Hawaii do with their chili? I can eat a whole bucket of that stuff in one sitting!

24. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but I beg to differ (and I don't even eat meat!)

[​IMG]
    http://www.hogsfly.com/

Memphis institution.

I've had Texas bbq sauces on stuff and I don't think it's all that. I prefer Memphis or KC sauces and or rubs.

K

25. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

;)

K