Food, Bars and debauchery in Harrison?

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by local136RiverRat, Oct 18, 2011.

1. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Me and a few guys are going to be in Harrison at 3 on thursday. Does anyone have any knowledge of the area? We plan on starting out at The Spanish pavilion, but were wondering if there are any other bars in the area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

2. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Newark, sure, but in Harrison... not so much.
    If you leave the train station (Penn Station) in Newark and head down Ferry street then there are a number of decent restaurants / bars that are way better than the Spanish Pavillion within 4-5 blocks.

3. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The ESC's main hangout is El Pastor...

http://www.elpastorrestaurant.com/

It's a little joint in Newark, and if you're going to go, bring a few cameras, preferably from ESPN...

4. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Probably wouldn't be a good idea to go to that place, even though the menu looks pretty awesome. Probably just find a small local spot, eat some great food and have a few too many beers.

5. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be getting to Newark around 3 as well and was also looking to hit up some bars/restaurants before heading over to the tailgate.

6. soccerdad1150

soccerdad1150 Member

Sep 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez...you are either incredibly smart, an incredible Googler..or both. Hat tip and repped

Edit: "you must spread some...".so fail

7. TheSmoke

TheSmoke Guest

NY has a thread for this: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348411

Avoid El Pastor and MMMBello's, which will be "full" of irritating RB fans.

8. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Green Room is right up the street from RBA. It is about 10 blocks north on the main drag. It is a small blue collar bar, but they do have beer and some great chili and burgers. I've been there a couple of times when I have been up at RBA.

9. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Going to park and be in the Ironbound neighborhood to the South of the stadium. Seems to have lots of free parking and lots more bars and restaurants than in Harrison. Also seems to be easier to get out of after the game! Seems the walk across the gridge is only 15-20 minutes.

10. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget there is also a trolley (really a bus) loop that drops off at the stadium too.
    Just one more reason why it makes no sense at all to drive up there. This will be my 4th trip there, and I highly recommend taking the train to Newark Penn Station, grab some good food in the Ironbound, and then either walk or hop that 'Red Bull Express' trolley to the stadium.
    It's not a bad walk, and you're in sight of at least one cop pretty much the entire trip, but I guess some people aren't able to walk it for one reason or another so the bus thing is nice.

The train ride back from Newark to Hamilton is much more relaxing than driving, and it allows an extra drink or two at the game.

11. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thanks for the responses. Probably won't wear my union gear til I get to the game.

12. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Away fans typically go to either Spanish Pavillion or Green Room. They can also hit a few places outside the Newark Station, however, I stringly recommend NOT going to MMMBellos (GSS Bar) or El Pastor (ESC Bar). Catas is another place, mostly Viking Army peeps, they are a little less agro but its a smaller place and they may not let you in at all if it fill sup.

13. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We ended up going to Seabras Marisquiera in the "Ironbound". Wow, place was pretty sick. Prawns the size of Mondragons unit. Octopus softer than the avg goal scored on Seitz. Vihno verde, Chorizo, Paella. Overall was pretty impressed, people were nice and IMO is an underappreciated destination for people into food or experiencing something a little different. Highly reccomend making a day of it next year.

Moved to Spanish pavilion to meet some friends, great move, 280 east, which leads to the turnpike is only a block away. No traffic at all, we were on the turnpike within 10 minutes after leaving.

Overall was a great trip, except for the game.

14. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We were in Spanish bar in Ironbound as well and really enjoyed it (better than the match). Had some issues with RB fans at a bar right before getting on the bridge going to the arena, but enjoyed the walk and conversation with RB fans heading back across the bridge. We were also back onto 95 in no time. Looking forward to visiting Ironbound next year!

15. etsjay

etsjay Member

Oct 31, 2011
    PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States