Folarin Balogun at AS Monaco

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Rahbiefowlah, Apr 4, 2018.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Balogun's interview this morning with the CBS Golazo morning folks.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Thought I saw a Napoli rumor flash by in morning scrolling, fwiw.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland and Winoman repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scores:

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flo seems to often find himself in good positions to finish. That’s what you need from a striker and it’ll be beneficial to the nats.

Zinkoff, RunthePoint, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You probably did. And it wouldn't be the first time he's been mentioned with regard to them either.

It's no surprise. Just-gone-21s with 21 goals in 37 Ligue 1 games are thin on the ground and Osminen being on his way (probably) leaves a gap that needs quality to fill. He's an - the - obvious port of call.

freisland repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep - tho if napoli buys everyone they're rumoured to be after, they're the new chelsea! lol.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep, but they're not getting EPL TV money so that's out of the question.

That said, they have enough money already to buy Ligue 1's top young striker and the Osimhen transfer fee will only reinforce that.

And it's not as if shopping for young strikers in Ligue 1 worked out badly the last time. Just ask Victor Osimhen :sneaky:

10. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea if this is the case I’m hoping they just buy Balogun as the forward position. Otherwise he’s probably better off going to Milan who over the last few years have developed some serious talent.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Named to the Sofascore U21 Team of the Season (top 5 leagues):

[​IMG]

Namdynamo, Dizi, glutton4Bolts and 3 others repped this.
  12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Double YA rumors:

Namdynamo, Dizi, gomichigan24 and 6 others repped this.
  13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Both Trusty and Balogun are definitely on the move. They're in demand but have too many better/established players ahead of the in the Arsenal pecking order. If they wind up at the likes of, say, Nottingham and Frankfurt respectively that's only good news for them and for the MNT

14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have never heard of Bella-Kotchap but so wish his name were Bolla or Balla-Kotchap...Bottle'o'Ketchup. I'll see myself out.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My takeaways from that MIB interview….. The kid just gets it. He’s mature. He’s humble and grounded. He knows what he wants from his career. So happy he’s repping the US.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, he comes across like a Kobe Bryant type. Very confident, serious person. Also serious about his training for instance his running training on his own, unlike De La Fuente, who has God-given speed, but doesn't train well and prefers to party.

m vann repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep. He's unlikely to make it at Arsenal, but there are a lot of quality teams where he'll be first choice and have an excellent career. If he leaves Arsenal and becomes a starter at Wolves, Fulham or, say, Marseilles that's only good news for him and the US pool.

19. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm still very confused by Arsenal letting someone like Flo head off. He lit up the French league on a not so great side. With CL and domestic cups - they have to be able to offer him quite a bit of time on the pitch. If I was Arsenal I'd be doing all I could to assure him of time on the field this season and letting him know it's up to Flo to make the most of it.

We shall see. It's not like the front line attackers will be healthy all season and to let a 20+ goal scorer in France go seems absurd

PalmettoSpur, Namdynamo, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  20. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, both their wingers just made the Top U21 World Team put out by FIFA (?) I believe. I think they have a couple of other high end prospects from what I have heard. May just be circumstances on this one. He doesn’t want to be loaned and I get that so Arsenal may not have a choice. Those wingers and prospects are probably part of the reason we got him over England so we should be happy about that!

21. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    ohhh I agree. Arsenal has an embarrassment of riches at the moment. But I can't imagine a world where I would want someone on the books of that quality to head off. Alas, i'm just a keyboard warrior.

adam tash repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True, but Arsenal are determined to land Declan Rice, which is going to set them back by at least £90 million, and they also need at least one other CB as backup for Saliba. Balogun will bring £30 million, probably more, right now. That'll go a long way towards the transfer fee of the likes of Niklas Sule or Alessandro Bastoni.

Then there's question of whether he's EPL & CL-ready right now, which is what Arteta needs, and the lad is rightly reluctant to go on loan again. Even if he is ready, Arteta uses a 4-2-3-1 or an attacking 4-3-3. There's not a lot of room for Folarin there unless he's willing to be third choice behind Gabriel Jesus and Nekietah, hoping that one of them gets injured. Even then, Martinelli and Trossard can play up top, either as strikers or false 9s.

A permanent move is far more likely than not IMO