Folarin Balogun at AS Monaco

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Rahbiefowlah, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Balogun starts against PSG. Reports are that he is missing penalties in warmups. (Ben Yedder in the starting lineup and will probably take one instead of Balo.)

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would let my mom take PKs ahead of Balo at this point.

TimB4Last and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announcer said they have officially lowered him on the PK depth chart. And I couldn't agree more. It is in his head now. Needs a break and perhaps he can come back next season and put the PK troubles behind him. AAR, was quite a handful at times for the PSV backline but he failed to convert on some good positions. Also had a great bit of hold-up, flick-on play to set up a score but Ben Yedder was deemed to be a tad offsides. An OK performance overall... but it sure seems to me like he needs a breakout game soon. There have been glimpses but not enough sustained quality play from the 9 position IMO. Great running off the shoulder... making use of that pace but not enough from a finishing perspective. And you really need that when you are striker that doesn't have a ton of hold-up play strength.

TimB4Last and freisland repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freisland, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PalmettoSpur, Winoman and freisland repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Still time for another. They're up 4-1. Metz scored not long after Balo's goal. Keeping the thin margin between them and LOSC. (Basically Monaco is battling to stay in 2nd, or at worst 3rd at this point. PSG has left everyone in their dust at this point.)

Lol - Metz just added one. I might have to watch this now. 4-2.

TimB4Last repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1774132992031564046 is not a valid tweet id

Plenty of time, it appears:

1774133130015719808 is not a valid tweet id

freisland and Mt Stone@ repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PalmettoSpur repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Anderson11, wsmaugham, TimB4Last and 3 others repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Big game for Monaco today 3 v 4 (LOSC). No idea if Balo bought himself a start with his brace last game. it's an evening game in France so I think 12 pst/3 est in Les Etats Unis.

11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think you may have misread something somewhere? LOSC and Marseille play today.

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    all the south coast teams look alike to me apparently.

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Balogun on for ben Yedder in the 73rd minute as Monaco milk a 1-0 lead down a man against Rennes.

Edit: Oops, it's 10 v 10, both teams down a man.

Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Monaco bests Brest 2-0. Balo on for both goals. Was in the mix for the 2nd. Zakaria's 1st was just dirty. 2 RCs to Monaco late.

Winoman repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Monaco v Lille today in a big end of season game. LOSC is 3 pts behind Monaco with a better GD. If they win today they leapfrog into 2nd on GD and drop Monaco to 3rd (Brest already played game 30) Any point(s) for Monaco today just puts a bit more distance between them and Brest/LOSC ahead of the final 4 games.)

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    It's fun to watch Monaco in the middle of this Nice/Lille/Brest race.

ChicagoVT, nbarbour, ebbro and 2 others repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #1717 freisland, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Yeah, the Balo campaign seems to be the most overlooked around here, probably because he's not lighting the world on fire, but he is 12 in ligue one for G-PK and 10th for G-PK/90 and 11 for G+A/90, and on the 2nd place team still odds-on to get CL play. Hope he catches fire a bit these last 5 games.

nbarbour repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heh heh

heh heh

heh heh heh

Hobo, nbarbour, Eighteen Alpha and 2 others repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is kinda funny, in that if Balo had gone to Monaco from, I dunno, Galat or Gers or Aarhus and was doing what he's doing a lot of folks would be losing their minds, but as it is we're salivating over 2 Champs league attackers who are putting similar numbers (Sarge G-PK/90 is kinda off the hook of course, but otherwise...) Which is not anything against the Sarge and Wright interest - it's well deserved, but is an interesting comment on expectations (and group embarrassment when you miss a bunch of PKs! lol)

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Balo starts in a 2 man front line according to the interwebz

21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One issue with Flo and his form right now is that Breel Embolo is now back from his ACL injury. It was Embolo's injury last August that made getting Balogun more of a priority for Monaco.

Embolo still has to work through rust and he only made a 5 minute cameo over the weekend. But If Embolo comes back strong, Balogun will have more competition than before. No question he's under a little bit more competition now.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Balo's growth curve has gone flat. He seems to be a known quantity at this point.

Of course, if the function is totally flat, you can say it's a constant.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree that his growth curve is flat.

I think everyone would be thrilled if it was flat and that he was scoring 21 goals a season every year.

RunthePoint repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Monaco hold on to win 1-0. Embolo on for our Balo. Forfana goal scored with Flo on the field but I didn't see the game so not sure if he was involved at all.

Monaco get a key 6 pts v LOSC (and 2 goal swing in GD.) Monaco has a pretty soft final 4 games and 6 point, 1 GD lead over 4th. Still time to mess it up, but today was a big step.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001