Rumor: Folan to Greece?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Feb 1, 2012.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhh, my excitement fell off cliff if his current team let his deal expire.

How good can he be then?

3. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The move should free up considerable cap space for the Rapids, as Folan was due $203,375 in guaranteed compensation per union docs.

Thats a nice chunk of cap space free'd up.

Only Conor Casey, Marvell Wynn and Pablo made more (Mullan was right there at $199K).

4. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forward help, or finishing help?

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Such a short press release. But Bravo's statement is on the money about bringing in players in positions of greater need. Like scorers. :D

Nah, seriously. It's all good, as they say. I wish Caleb the best, he definitely had some moments. The DCU home game was sweet. I wish it had worked out better, but the Rapids continue to turn the page.

6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    After that DCU game, I was like, "This could be a great season." It was memorable. I'll give it that. Imagine if Folan didn't hit the crossbar against RSL and it went in! He was like Mehdi in that he was always so close and in many ways seemed a step ahead of the rest of the guys but always came up the goat.

7. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall, Oscar viewed tape of every game from last season.

Probably watched all that Arm Waving and was like what the hell?

Bet he went to Bravo found out how much he was making and they picked up the phone and made international call and that was all folks.

8. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Mutual consent", in this context, I think means the Rapids come to him and say "Look, I know you're under contract for another year. But here's the thing: We don't like you, the fans don't like you, no one likes you. You're lazy and you don't put forth the effort. Now, we can't actually get rid of you, but if you DO stay, you're riding the pine all season. So, how bout you sign right here and we give you a good reference for potential employers?"

I could not be happier with the goings-on with the Rapids over the past few weeks.

Maybe firing Smith was a good thing? I dunno, I'm still expecting at LEAST 2 mediocre growth years, but we'll see.

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If Colorado were in the East....

The "growth years" would be spent competing for playoff spots.

Mediocrity in MLS is now a conference-relative term.

10. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there's still Chivas, so we won't be last :).

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classy msg from Folan

The Colorado Rapids and forwarded Caleb Folan on Friday mutually agreed to go separate ways. Following the announcement, Folan provided the following message to ColoradoRapids.com:

I would like to take this time to thank all the fans who have made my time here one of the most memorable & pleasant experiences to date. And the staff & players, who have welcomed me into their zone where we all accept each other for who we are & strive to be - winners on & off the field, everyday.

It's been emotional leaving so soon, but it has been an absolute honour to play with the Colorado Rapids, the champions of USA, that's you guys!

I leave with my head held high with the highest respect for all who have supported & welcomed me. Sometimes football leaves us with no choice but to move on from people & places we have grown to love, but that does not mean we stop loving, caring & missing.

I'l be watching & visiting. ; )

Always believe.
    Thank you.

Caleb

13. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This almost makes me feel bad for bagging on him so much on this board. Almost...

14. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto.