FO signing Jovan? ?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LA Aztecs OG, Jan 30, 2004.

1. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Both of these signings suck IMO, Kirovski and Herzog (if they happen). Jovan at least won't take up an S.I. but may take a lot of salary.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Jovan will do just fine. He'll surely be better at striker than Alejandro Moreno.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if these signings will work out or not. I have no idea what real alternatives the FO had.

BUT: I do understand the logic of adding Herzog and Kirovski (if those things actually happen). That clearly addresses two big holes in the roster.

Look at it this way: at least we didn't spend money adding yet another central defender who can't communicate with his teammates. And I don't think the Swiss community in LA is so big that Doogie was engaged in ethnic pandering.

4. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    I'm fine with it. I'd rather go into the season with Ruiz, Kirovski, Moreno, and Ngwenya at forward than Ruiz, Moreno and Ngwenya. That's not a knock on the latter trio, it just adds to our attack. Don't know exactly how well he'll do, but I agree with The Cadaver. What are the alternatives to spend our cap space on?

5. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Kirovski will be a great addition to LA. Their midfield did a pretty poor job of linking with their forwards this year and Kirovski (playing in the hole) will be just the stabilizing answer. Especially with Albright and Jones running like crazy on either side of him (his lack of pace won't hurt him with them on the wings).

Kirovski will be great at delivering balls into Ruiz and Moreno and Ngenzwa (sp) will be a great second half sub for Moreno (change of pace against a defense with tired legs).

In the same manner as Ante Razov, Kirovski will excel at holding up the ball and will add a weapon with his outside shooting - only he will be on target far more than Simon Elliott was the last few years. I sense lots of rebound/poacher goals for Ruiz and Moreno.

(n.b. Jovan Kirovski has done his best work in recent years (at the club level) from a withdrawn role. Under Steve Bruce at Crystal Palace, he pulled the strings behind Clinton Morrison and Dougie Freeman and they really clicked from his service. He is really miscast as an out-and-out striker - especially as a target striker)

6. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will this all affect Cobi, who currently is taking up the most salary cap space?

7. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    Thanks, Liverpool. I've seen Bruce try him as a target man with speedsters running off of him and wasn't that impressed. From the few times I have seen him with BC, he seemed to create well for others. Good to hear that he's succeeded at providing service. Lord knows we need it!

8. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA

Clarification, Bruce Arena not Steve Bruce :)

9. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    said it before, i'll say it again: exempting for injuries, kirovski would finish top 10 in MLS scoring this coming season

and herzog is probably more apt to be a nowak, etch, valderrama old attacker signing type than a matthaus type - weren't the galaxy missing ideas last season? herzog has had all of them twice

funny thing is, if LA signs both these guys they might automatically become the most dangerous restart team in the league - JK and herzog would probably end up bickering over every danger free kick the entire year - both are highly capable of burying the 22-25 yd. set piece with regularity

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if this is true, then perhaps playing in MLS will do wonders for Jovan like it did for Donovan and Twellman. Hopefully that'll be the case, but just like the draft picks, it's a gamble and maybe a big one if he's going to be paid big bucks.

12. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Don't forget about Grabavoy.

Ruiz loves those long free kicks into the box (think MLS all-star game from Bocanegra)

13. giantrobot

giantrobot New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    Insight on JK

Of all the time Kirovski spent in the European leagues, what was his best season and for which team?

14. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Re: Insight on JK

In my opinion, FWIW:
    1) Crystal Palace
    2) Birmingham
    3) Borussia Dortmund
    4) Man City
    5) Man U

If it goes through, JK will have come full circle. From SoCal (Escondido) where Bora finds him, and after touring Europe, he's back home. Will he help? Only time will tell, but I wish him luck.

15. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Re: Re: Insight on JK

you forgot Fortuna Cologne and Sporting Lisbon. Jovan also never played for Man City

16. lightningback

lightningback New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Carson
    And Memo....Going into last season, I believe Sigi said that he was already the best free kick taker on the team.

17. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which may say more about last year's team than it does about Memo.

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bench or bu-bye. Radical salary cut, or just cut loose.

19. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: Insight on JK

While he was at the reserves at ManU.

=)

20. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His contract is up (or option is being taken) and he's renegotiating. He's currently not under contract. Expect to see him taking a pay cut this season.

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that Cobi is far down on list of those I blame for last season. I hope we retain him. I also hope that we make these signings. I think they both are good ideas. I like th idea of Jovan with Ruiz or if we are playing very attack minded, Kirovski in the hole behind ruiz and Moreno or the Zimbabwan.

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Count me in the group that thinks that with regular playing time, Jovan Kirovski will do just fine. I think he's making this move b/c he wants a chance with the USMNT and opportunities to play in the qualifiers. Domestically, he gets more PT and Arena sees him regularly and he can be in 2 week camps (not limited to 5 days before the match or whatever FIFA has restricted it to these days).

That said, unless you guys got an incredible bargain, I'd expect both Kirovski and Herzog (if he goes to LA--and he could just as easily be going to Colorado) to take up maximum salary slots. Additionally, the rule of thumb is that USMNT players require an allocation. Now...the allocation would reduce the cap hit (like it did with Earnie Stewart last year). Only if all the teams with allocations pass on the USMNT player do teams then get to claim him (ala Joe Max Moore and Hejduk last season).

If you get both Herzog and Kirovski at maximum salary slots (unless you use an allocation to reduce Kirovski's cap impact--and that only works if he came on a free transfer), than you probably need to do some more cap pruning.

23. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Re: Re: Re: Insight on JK

I didn't list them because, although he played, nothing stood out in my mind about his play at those two clubs. Then again Tree, it was just my opinion, not worth much.

Doh! How did my fingers type that?
    So much for accuracy and credibility. :rolleyes: