FM 2008 MLS/USL Promotion Relagation

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by meter, Dec 3, 2007.

1. meter

meter Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  2. meter

meter Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  3. Carolina United FC

Carolina United FC New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    This is a brilliant concept. Every time I play FM I wish there was a db like this. However, Meter I'm having problems with it. I have been replacing the default db files with the MLS ones but when I try to start a new game in FM with the MLS files having replaced the deault ones ..a screen pops up and tells me that the game is running low on memory and the game closes. How can I correc this problem with your db?

4. meter

meter Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    You are not replacing your default DB.

What you want to do is unzip the DB folder to your ...My Documents..SI Games..Football Manager (or WWSM) 2008..DB folder. Then when you go to start a new game, goto select DB and the "MLS Final Ver 2" will be in that folder.

Also, you install the graphics folder to the same directory above but to the graphics folder instead of the DB folder.

Hope this helps.

5. Carolina United FC

Dec 8, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I'm not seeing a "Select DB" option. While using FM 2008 when I press "Start A New Game" after loading the MLS db into my documents it just loads the default database. How do I select which DB to use? Thanks in advance.

6. Carolina United FC

Dec 8, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I fixed the problem and this database is quality! I'm going to be playing FM a lot more because of the MLS promotion/relegation mode. Thanks Meter! I have two questions though. Why did you decide to use a foreign player cap? Whats the deal with MLS now being Canadian? lol Cheers!

7. meter

meter Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The MLS & American nationality (for leagues) are hard coded into the game with MLS Rules, roster, schedule etc...

Not to go into boring details, what I did was swap american and canadian nationality . Then swapped the Israeli premier league with MLS. So by swapping the IPL & MLS we know have the IPL rules, foreign player rule.

Why all this was done was becuase of many factors. The Israeli league swap provided the easiest route for me to achieve promotion relegation for an American set up.

Hope this all makes sense, glad you are enjoying it. I too like which is why I figured a few people on Big Soccer may be interested as well.

8. Carolina United FC

Dec 8, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Enlightening, I originally thought you were a bitter Canadian that had some vendetta against the United States, lol. I just started by second season with RBNY after finishing 5th in the league the first season, Charleston and Seattle have been promoted and The Crew and Real dropped through the trap door (Which I wouldn't mind at all in IRL as both teams are pretty meaningless).

Really enjoying the db and thanks for the help with it. Do you know how to create logos and jerseys? I'm interesting in creating my own team with the database editor (By revamping the name, etc of a team all ready in the game, lets say.. Real Salt Lake) Do you know how I would go about replacing their logo and jersey within the game? Obviously I would have to change something with the graphics/logos and graphics/kits folder in My documents other than that I'm lost. Cheers.

9. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hey, was this made with the latest 8.0.1 update? just wanna know as the game engine is a bit better and lots of manager changes and transfers

10. meter

meter Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Your game should have come with the pregame editor, if you have the Digital Download it will be in your Sports Interactive, WWSM 2008 Folder. I would recomend changing an existing clubs name rather then create a new team, to avoid crashes.
    As far as the kits , in the editor you can create basic kits. If you are looking to make logos yourself, you can do that to. Each club has a number assigned to it which you will see in the editor. When you create the logo or kit be sure to assign it this number and place inthe graphics folder.

No it was not. But that has nothing to do with the engine. If you are patched up to 8.01 it will work fine with all the engine updates etc...But you are right the roster changes, player moves etc are not included.

11. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    In the list you put in your read me it say that the PR Islanders are in USL 2, i was woundering why, their one of the top 6 clubs in the league right know, while teams like Miami FC and Charleston are in USL 1 which the Islanders have dominated, is there a way i can get them in USL one so they are playable?

12. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    scratch that question, now i want to know why my game afyer installing your mod crashes and give me the massege "FM ran out of memory"

13. meter

meter Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Your first question, The PR Islanders I originally had in the USL 1 but decided to put them in USL 2 as the league I chose to swap with was the Israeli leagues. They have Foreign cap limit which would have had PR fielding gray players. By putting them into USL 2 this allows the AI to address their roster and hopefully by the 2nd or 3rd season they will be able to field a full lineup, of real players.

As for your game crashing. See Carolina FC's post about the same problem , "FM ran out of memory". Sounds like you did not install the DB (databse) correctly. You should have saved the db file to the : My Documents..SI Games..Football Manager (or WWSM) 2008..DB folder.
    I have never had this error with any custom DB, so I am assuming you were attempting to overide your default db.

14. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did a lot of work on this database, with updated transfers/staff changes, contract extensions and all the MLS/USL clubs with stadium plans set to move into their new grounds within the next few years (according to real life schedules/optimism).

Toronto have been moved to the USL as the last-placed MLS team (both in foundation and league position), with San Jose, and the two of them favourites to gain promotion. Puerto Rico are also in USL-1, you just need to load all players from Puerto Rico as well as Bermuda, Canada and the States at the beginning of the game.

Philadelphia Independence FC are in USL-2 (non-playable) along with St. Louis FC, with both not given any players (if they win promotion they'll have greyed out players, youngsters and whoever they sign). Philly are playing at Lincoln Financial until Chester Stadium is built while St. Louis have sped up construction on the St. Louis Soccer Complex. San Jose, DC, Atlanta, Houston, RSL, Miami, NY and Vancouver are all set to move into SSSes by 2011.

All players are now on traditional june-to-june contracts, not the MLS ones that had them expiring in October. To ease the transition into the "5 foreigners per squad" rule, Canadians playing the States (Serioux, Jazic etc) have been given American citizenship, and vice versa (Dunivant, Edu, etc), while Americans playing with the Islanders have been given Puerto Rican second nationality. As these players retire/move on, the clubs will have to rely on their nation's talent to replace them.

If anyone wants to try this one let me know and I'll upload it.

15. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I'll glady try it out :) if
    this is a diffrent patch than the one where MLS teams play in the UEFA Champions Leaugue with all the US players back transfered to the MLS teams.

must have been very hard work and lots of time going into it. thanks for your hard work.

how big is the file ?

16. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, MLS teams will play in the Champions League (can't get around that) but all players are now with their proper clubs, with many january transfers from around Europe slated to take place on 1/1/08. Same size as the one you're talking about, I just updated it. Still want? :D

17. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    nope in that case I'd rather not. thanks for the offer and infos tough.

18. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I changed my mind ;)

I'll give it a go if you still have the files and are willing to share them.

19. WordenS

WordenS New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Please tell me I can still get this... Anyone one have I copy of this db that I can download?

20. novadragon

novadragon New Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Could someone please upload the database? It seems that the database is gone from the link. I would really appreciate it!

21. MichaelQReilly

MichaelQReilly New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Glastonbury, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping this tread. Does anyone out there have this database or one like it?