Flu vaccines, and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by churchill2000, Oct 22, 2004.

1. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I received this information through a friend of mine, via an email, read it;

Read all the way to the end......VERY INTERESTING!

Flu Shot Info
    How the vaccine works:

Influenza vaccine is produced by growing the virus in
    eggs. The virus is killed and processed to create the vaccine, which is given by injection under the skin. The body then produces antibodies to the virus over the next two to four weeks. If the immunized person then comes into contact with the influenza virus, the antibodies attack and kill the virus before it has a chance to cause infection. The vaccine contains the 3 most likely strains to be active during the "flu season"

Why the shortage:

Almost half of the nation's flu vaccine will not be Delivered this year. Chiron, a major manufacturer of flu vaccine, will not be distributing any influenza vaccine this flu season. Chiron was to make 46-48 million doses vaccine for the United States. Chiron is a British company. Recently British health officials stopped Chiron from distributing and making the vaccine when inspectors found unsanitary conditions in the labs. Some lots of the vaccine were recalled and destroyed.

Why is our vaccine made in the UK and not the US?

The major pharmaceutical companies in the US provided almost 90% of the nations flu vaccine at one time. They did this despite a very low profit margin for the product. Basically, they were doing us a favor. In the late 80's a man from North Carolina who had received the vaccine got the flu. The strain he caught was one of the strains in
    that years vaccine made by a US company. What did he do? He sued and he won. He was awarded almost $5 million! After that case was appealed and lost, most US pharmaceutical companies stopped making the vaccine. The liability out weighed the profit margin. Since UK and Canadian laws prohibit such frivolous law suits UK and Canadian companies began selling the vaccine in the US.

By the way...the lawyer that represented the man in the flu shot law suit was a young ambulance chaser by the name of John Edwards. (YES, the same John Edwards!)

2. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Very Interesting. First, we kill the lawyers, someone said.

BTW, I see on CNN.com that the Chicago Bears and Bulls made sure they got their flu shots, babies and 85-year-olds be damned.

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I have to agree, the flu vaccine issue is showing how pitiful and ridiculous people are, I mean congressmen should get vaccines over school bus drivers, teachers, grocery store workers??? And like you said little kids, and our elderly.
    Love to see how peoples' priorities are set.