PBP: Flounders @ Rapids • 7 pm Tonight

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Didn’t see that one coming. At all.

2. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Great to hear we won. I have to resort to watching the 10 or 12 minute summary.

Also learned it was fan appreciation night.

Hats off to the players for putting on what I can only suspect was an entertaining game.

No thanks to an organization who appreciates their fans by keeping the only method of watching them hostage for over a year.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids need 2 points to clinch (assuming no more cancelled games in the West) without any help.

Can clinch tonight with a FSL-LA draw and Vancouver not winning.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Don't know where to begin. This was may favorite match of the season thus far, including the demolition of FSL.

No doubt the Rapids have improved step by step since the KFC match 8 days ago. Tonight they were poised and confident in their game plan. Both teams were using the high press, but it was the Rapids who brilliant broke down the press first. I can't say enough about the passing that broke the Seattle's pressure and eventually got the ball to Vines wide who chipped a cross to Shinyashiki who went over Shane O'Neill to head it in. That was the team goal of the season.

At the same time the Flounders were also able to get their chances often by getting 2-1 wide and using their speed of play to get behind the Rapids. Obviously it paid off.

Then there was Rosenberry who's strike off a cleared corner was exceptional. Perfect technique and placement.

About 10 minutes into the second half Seattle . . . began to flounder. They were clearly out of gas. The Rapids remained smart and confident with the ball. Really the Rapids were not far away from scoring a total six or seven. Had they had a tad more vision around the top of the box it would have been so.

Of course it was Bassett how put the match to bed with a header off another exceptional service from a Price set piece.

For all those who weren't able to watch live, bummer.

TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  5. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That first goal was pretty glorious. Rapids kept possession from the attacking third all the way back to the keeper, drew the sounders in then countered beautifully. They could have and should have had 3 more goals.

unkiemark repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I wonder how many total passes were in that sequence? Unfortunately, the highlights don't give the whole picture. It was a patient and confident build-up that sucked the Flounders beat the high press and then pushed it up the left flank with pace leading to Vines' cross.

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Huge win!
    I assume road wins will still be tough even without fans...tough midweek game in Portland.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    SccrDon repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Some thoughts about tactics/roles in this match -

Benezet was playing inside a lot almost at times like a false 9. Although on the first Rapids goal he was bombing down the left side with Vines. Otherwise, he was much more central than in other matches.

Namli and Bassett were both playing something like a #10 role unlike the previous match where Bassett was more in the #8 spot.

Trusty really had me confused at times. Watching on TV he seemed to be playing a defensive midfield role rather than center back. He was way up the pitch in the first half.

Rubio works so hard and really is gonna need a break soon. Unfortunately, there aren't many options there with Kamara gone to Minnesota. This is an area the Rapids need to address in the off-season.