Florida

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by hykos1045, Jan 5, 2011.

1. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you allowed to post dream why-not threads, or is this board for only confirmed rumors?

Why not Florida? I think it is a growth state and could become a hotbed.

As for what areas WPS would locate in, I guess start for a low cost college campus. I don't know anything about their stadium capacities but I'm thinking Tampa or Orlando area rather than Miami.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Here are three earlier interviews on the situation:

http://equalizersoccer.com/webpages/blog.aspx?postid=877877aa-8dcb-4db9-bfab-7a4fe22bf0ff

http://equalizersoccer.com/webpages/blog.aspx?postid=724e20cf-0537-4e22-89ee-25d5a87a74f7

http://vasoccernews.blogspot.com/2010/12/dan-borislow-q-with-washington-freedoms.html

IMHO, from day one, Borislow wanted to acquire the assets of a defunct club and move it to a location where a new business model could be tried. The league refused, and the "two city" concept is a temporary compromise. Hopefully, as soon as he finds an acceptable venue for the games in Florida, the team will be allowed to move there.

4. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    How about Alaska?

5. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I'll ask 'er.

6. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    http://ourgamemagazine.wordpress.co...-team-kleiton-lima-no-longer-coaching-santos/

Here's what Marta said in a recent interview about playing in the WPS in 2011 :

“The truth is I have one more year contract with the American League and I need to get a team to play.”

My guess is that this statement refers to her contract with Amway, which may require that she must sign with a WPS team in order to continue receiving those payments. If true, this would give Borislow a huge advantage over Piteå .

7. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sensing some dismay from loyalists (and opposing fans as well) at the name change and the split venues situation. I know it's change, but the alternative we were facing was that Freedom had folded completely. Perhaps this is an upgrade. I'm actually appreciative that the sponsors and the funding sources were able to invent 2 new revenue streams (magictalk and the people of Florida). Even if it means alienating the hardcore home fan base just a little bit, that season could be saved. Change of venue (Philly to Widener, DC to Florida) is far better alternative than the St. Louis, Chicago, and FC Gold "Pride" models for "cost cutting" have been lately.

While I'm certainly glad it's not Philly losing home games, if I were Mr. Hardcore Washington Freedom Fan, I would at least consider going to one or two of the Florida games and make that my quote-unquote "road trip" instead of (or in addition to) driving to another venue like Philly or NJ.

8. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Is it the best situation?

He is asking to communities of fans to support this team. Then he will end up burning one of the groups by taking the team away. I would have rather had the Freedom name stay in the Amateur ranks. It has been a great name in soccer for the women's game.

Why would either fan base by season tickets to support a team to leave? Whats the soccer background of this owner? Whats his sports background? Is he someone with money just showing how smart he thinks he is and doing what he wants because he can?

Sorry I don't need this type of owner or a league this desperate. Lot of soccer out there to watch without the ownership ego in the WPS.

I am glad the WPS has turned into the EWPS.

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a little bit? Every single hardcore Freedom fan I know is so furious they're on the verge of spontaneous combustion. And they all want their season tickets refunded.

Why? What's in it for me as a Freedom fan to pay to see my former team play in Florida?

10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that. I'm on the verge of wishing there'd never been a WPS because at least I'd still have a team.

11. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it from someone that lost their MLS team to League cost-cutting; you really don't want to wish this. If this maneuver works and helps to save WPS I'd guess that DC will get another chance at the Freedom ASAP. A far better chance, I'd guess, than South Florida has of having MLS return.

Keep the faith and support what is left of this League. Hope for it to survive & grow. If that happens you'll get your team back sooner rather than later. We're doing the same here in hopes of Garber granting us an MLS franchise someday. Maybe. Perhaps.